Why learn Amharic? Some more interesting facts about Ethiopia! :D

I'm not sure if everyone knows, but I am one of the few people (I assume) that have applied for an Amharic for English speakers course. :)

Here are some more facts about Ethiopia on top of AdamYoung97's, that might persuade you to take an interest in Amharic :)

<h1>1. Ethiopia is home to 9 UNESCO World Heritage sites</h1>

This is more than any other Sub-Saharan African country, but is tied with Morocco.

<h1>2. Ethiopia is home to the hottest place on planet earth...</h1>

Dallol. Dallol has an annual average temperature of 34.5C (94.1F). Temperatures can reach 40C (104F) for 8 months consecutively, and the coldest month has an average high of 36.1C (97F).

<h1>3. Ethiopia is believed to be the first country to adopt Christianity as its state religion</h1>

This has challenged Armenia's claim to be the first country to adopt Christianity as state religion.

<h1>4. Ethiopia is home to the last ancient grazing primate...</h1>

The Gelada baboon. The males average 19kg, with females at 11kg and have bright red patches on their chest. They can be found on the Ethiopian Highlands and have a grass-eating lifestyle :D.

<h1>5. Ethiopia is the source of 80% of the River Nile's water</h1>

The Blue Nile, Sobat and Atbara provide 80% of the water flowing into the Nile, with the White Nile providing the other 20%.

<h1>6. The smallest grain in the world originates from Ethiopia</h1>

Teff is used to make Ethiopia's national cuisine Injera. It is believed to have originated in Ethiopia between 4000-1000BC.

Some more pictures of Ethiopia :)

The capital, Addis Ababa: Imgur

Blue Nile Falls Imgur

Dallol volcano and desert Imgur Imgur

The Jungle lion and Ethiopian wolf Imgur Imgur

Injera with wot (Ethiopian stew) Imgur

Traditional Ethiopian art Imgur

Ethiopian Orthodox Priest


Traditional Ethiopian weddings (wedding clothes) Imgur Imgur

<h1>Ask any questions you want :)</h1>
November 8, 2014


Here are two pictures from wikipedia for the Gelada baboon.

Group of Baboons

Close Up

And Ethiopia's most famous individual, Lucy


Lucy, an Australopithecus afarensis, was found in the Afar depression in Ethiopia.

November 8, 2014

Probably the most famous area in Ethiopia is Lalibela, which has many churches carved out of rock.

Church of St. George

Bette Giyorgis

Bete Medhane Alem This is the largest known monolith church.

November 8, 2014

WOW. I am amazed by the volcano, your traditional art and the weddings. Beautiful indeed!

November 8, 2014

Thank you very much :)

November 8, 2014

ኢትዮጵያና አማርኛን እፈቅራለሁ! Thanks for this post!

November 8, 2014

No problem!

November 8, 2014

takes a whole new meaning to feeling like a princess on your wedding day haha. Well done good presentation :)

November 8, 2014

Thank you!

November 8, 2014

Thank you so much for this. With the way our news always portrays Ethiopia, you never see this beautiful side of it. Thank you!

November 8, 2014

Yes, unfortunately, that's the way the media is :( I'm glad you liked it and no problem! :)

November 8, 2014

I would like to know basic Amharic to write a letter my sponsor child in his native language.

November 9, 2014

That's a wonderful goal!

January 19, 2015

Gorgeous wedding photos!

November 8, 2014

Thank you! :)

November 8, 2014

I think this is wonderful. European languages are definitely overrepresented and we reeeaally need some African languages here. Wish I could contribute to some but unfortunately I am not bilingual and I'm pretty awful at Xhosa and Zulu. Ethiopia looks beautiful ! Have only seen the airport but hopefully I will see more one day.

November 8, 2014

I would love to see some African languages too! :)

November 8, 2014

I love this! My father is Ethiopian, and I have been dying to learn his language and more about his culture... Unfortunately, it's difficult to find as many resources on properly learning Amharic as there are for other popular languages...

I hope Amharic appears on Duolingo someday!

November 8, 2014

Have you picked up any words he says? You could try to get him to teach you the basics. And I agree, it's hard to find some Amharic resources. If you have an Apple product you could try uTalk Amharic or Amharic LSK :)

November 8, 2014

He hasn't used the language in many years...I've only ever asked him to teach me a few words, but he says he's forgotten a lot. I want to learn it so that maybe it will help him remember, and also help bring us closer and more connected to his culture. I don't have an Apple device. Do you know anything helpful on Android?

November 8, 2014

Great job! Is Amharic your native language?

November 8, 2014

Thank you! And yes, Amharic is my native language :)

November 8, 2014

Now I'm hungry for Ethiopian food. What would I do without wot?

June 1, 2016
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.