Someone please fix Duolingo
I haven't used it for a while as I've travelled a lot but now I've returned it appears someone decided to break (not test new features on) Duolingo.
I answer a questions and if it's right I get the noise but then halfway through the next question I get another noise saying I got it right, colour goes red and I'm no longer allowed to have my results submitted so no points for me.
Hey all - we can reproduce the problem consistently on Google Chrome Canary. This issue doesn't seem to happen on the standard release of Chrome and appears to relate to how Canary encodes accented characters. We'll look into this next week - meanwhile if you can manage using the standard Chrome release or another browser, things should hopefully work for you:) Thanks for all the feedback!
Good news! The issue should now be fixed thanks to our awesome dev Bren:) Please let us know if it appears fixed for you. Thanks for being patient!
Note: This fix is just for the Canary encoding issue that HappyPaul and scockram brought up - we are still investigating the other issue of the final question being broken.
Nope. As a web developer myself I'm going to guess some cheeky chappy developer made a planned change which works great on his/her and his/her testers setup but pesky admin people like split testing everything which sadly caused some users to get a poor experience as some features/code relied on code protected in a split test. (I just wanna take the blame off the developers ;) )
Either way, I've it appears to be fixed as I've managed to complete a lesson today. Oh and sorry for being ranty, I get quite passionate about my learning. I can now understand why some of my users don't give useful information slash bug reports - they're too busy ranting away :)
Here is some help for your awesome developers.
First image is what I (the user) will see. I did have the in the textbox the start of my Spanish translation but changed it something informative for you.
I then took another screenshot of the developer console for you. Note that I didn't change anything, I just opened it up for you and me to look. If you message me back promptly I can run whatever you like in the console which might help you get to the issue.
Another note, Yes, this is Chrome Canary but Chrome Stable does this as well and isn't a browser version error as the console kinda proves. :)
Hello, It happens on every lesson, typically around 2/3 of the way through. The issue appears to be google chrome, as it works fine for me in firefox (same computer, same everything). I can perform some more useful diagnostics tomorrow. Disabling sound effects has no effect.
This is really useful - thanks so much. We're looking into this and will keep you updated. What would also be useful is to know if it only happens on certain challenge types (listen, translate, etc.) or if it seems to happen on all of them. Also could you let us know if you're using any extensions on Chrome?
Hello, I have experienced the same problem. I am using safari.
I also am experiencing a problem quite frequently where I get through an entire lesson with no problems, but then the "continue" button on the final question is broken and does nothing and I am forced to refresh. It is very frustrating as I loose the progress for the entire lesson. So far this has only happened when I was "practicing weakest words" from the vocabulary page and hasn't happened yet when I was learning new words on a new lesson on the skill tree.
Hi, I have this problem too. I recently purchased a Galaxy S4 and downloaded the Duolingo app. I have been using the app for 2-3 days now and have not once gotten a functional "continue" button at the end of a level. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Lest you think it is just my phone though, I even completed one of the levels using my laptop--and though I did get a "continue" button to push this time, after loading for a while it returned me back to an unchanged home screen!! So lots of great practice, but like others on this thread, the program isn't working correctly for me on my android or in Firefox.
How odd, my computer does exactly the opposite: I will type the answer, but before I can finish It signals that I was correct. It happens only on occasion, but when it does it begins about 2/3 of the way into the lesson and finishes the lesson in that manner (complete with issuing me the not necessarily well earned points). After I finish the "problem" lesson, Duolingo functions normally...until the next random error. I am using Chrome.