"Varför tycker du så mycket om juni?"
Translation:Why do you like June so much?
25 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
So, as I'm just a beginner at swedish (my second germanic language), I've been troubled with the word order. Two questions: 1: So, why put the pronoun and the adverb and sometimes the negation particle "inte" before "om" and after "tycker"? 2: Word order will be explained in tjis course? Tack så mycket
This is a question, which means V2 does not apply. Instead, we have this:
1. question words go first, just like in English, so Varför must be first
2. the verb needs to go before the subject, so tycker will be second anyway
3. particle verbs such as tycker om are easily split, if the subject comes after the verb, it will come between the verb and its particle
4. The combination tycker mycket om likes to stick together when possible – it sort of makes a unit, so Varför tycker du så mycket om juni? is good but Varför tycker du om juni så mycket? is somewhat unnatural.
5. If you use the verb gillar instead, that verb does not create a unit with mycket, so in that case, the only possible word order would be Varför gillar du juni så mycket? which is a more typical question word order: question word – verb – subject – object – adverbial
thanks for this explanation. the discussion forums are a big help to understand the technicalities of Swedish.
Why do you think so much of june would be correct american english, but it is not accepted as a correct translation
Yes, I agree. To "think so much of" means "like" at least in American English. It should be accepted.
Varför is why then what is the purpose of Om in this sentence? can it be omitted?
No, it cannot be omitted. You have seen the verb "tycker om" (likes/like) before in previous lessons. At the top of this page, Arnauti explains why "om" is further down in the sentence. So your question has already been answered there.
If there was no "så mycket" in the sentence, would "varför tycker du om juni?" be right? Or would it have been "varför tycker om du juni"?
Your first sentence (varför tycker du om juni?) is correct as explained above by Arnauti in point 3: if the subject comes after the verb, the subject (du) will come between the verb (tycker) and the particle (om).
Why "why do you like so much of june" is wrong? Idk is it not correct in english? It sounds okay to me, tho the right answer sounds better but is my answer still right?
It is not the correct translation of the Swedish sentence. It seems as if you have made a literal translation from Dutch: "van juni". "of June" means that June is the owner of something; the 30 days of June.
Q. "Why do you like so much of June?" A. "Because June has 30 days".
Q. "Why do you like June so much?" A. "Because June gives nice weather, long sunny days, and nature is so beautiful in this month."