"Varför tycker du så mycket om juni?"
Translation:Why do you like June so much?
24 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
So, as I'm just a beginner at swedish (my second germanic language), I've been troubled with the word order. Two questions: 1: So, why put the pronoun and the adverb and sometimes the negation particle "inte" before "om" and after "tycker"? 2: Word order will be explained in tjis course? Tack så mycket
This is a question, which means V2 does not apply. Instead, we have this:
1. question words go first, just like in English, so Varför must be first
2. the verb needs to go before the subject, so tycker will be second anyway
3. particle verbs such as tycker om are easily split, if the subject comes after the verb, it will come between the verb and its particle
4. The combination tycker mycket om likes to stick together when possible – it sort of makes a unit, so Varför tycker du så mycket om juni? is good but Varför tycker du om juni så mycket? is somewhat unnatural.
5. If you use the verb gillar instead, that verb does not create a unit with mycket, so in that case, the only possible word order would be Varför gillar du juni så mycket? which is a more typical question word order: question word – verb – subject – object – adverbial
It is not the correct translation of the Swedish sentence. It seems as if you have made a literal translation from Dutch: "van juni". "of June" means that June is the owner of something; the 30 days of June.
Q. "Why do you like so much of June?" A. "Because June has 30 days".
Q. "Why do you like June so much?" A. "Because June gives nice weather, long sunny days, and nature is so beautiful in this month."