"I have a belt."

Translation:Jag har ett skärp.

November 23, 2014

This discussion is locked.


How do you know when to use "ett" or "en"?


You have to learn it with the noun, just as in German or French. Fortunately, most Swedish nouns are 'en', so it's easier to remember the exceptions.


So when I look this up, skärp is translated as "sash," which at least in English is not the same thing as a "belt". A sash is usually something that is tied in a knot with itself (i.e., on a trenchcoat or bathrobe), whereas a belt usually has a clasp etc.

Does Swedish have this distinction? Is Duolingo just messing with me?


This is a very late answer, but the question is still relevant. Image google skärp and you'll see what they typically look like. I'm not aware of a special word that covers the same things as 'sash'. I'd call the one on a bathrobe 'skärp' too.


What is the difference between skärp and bälte?


Hello, Arnauti!

I and Storr have the same doubt:

Between "skärp" or "bälte", which of these swedish words does it translate "belt" to English better?

I think that is "bälte", but I'm not sure.

I've noted that you and "Delantiel" always make good explanations.

Could you help us?!??


Where did the word "livrem" come from? I have not encountered this previouslt and was told the word was "skarp" (The accent over the "a" does not show on the discussion page.)


It's a rarely used synonym.


Then why was the use of the word skarp (with accent) marked as wrong?


Don't know. There have been suggestions of "en skärp", but that's wrong since skärp is an ett-word.


Strange but thanks anyway.


skärp was marked as incorrect and livrem was in its place in the answer

[deactivated user]

    Why is this sentence in this category?


    "Sk" is pronounced like an "f", right?

    Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.