1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Swedish
  4. >
  5. "Ett täcke och en kudde"

"Ett täcke och en kudde"

Translation:A duvet and a pillow

November 25, 2014



Sort of an odd question but does anyone know the origin of the word "kudde"? I don't know why but the word is so adorable and fluffy and I want to hug it. It reminds me of cuddly and I'm sure they share the same ancestor.

(Googling for origins of Swedish words is actually pretty hard, maybe because I google in English? Or maybe it's not a well documented area?)


There's quite a bit of documentation actually: the Swedish Academy has been working on "Svenska Akademiens Ordbok" (SAOB) since sometime in the 1800s. It's a historical dictionary documenting the Swedish language from 1521 to now. Like the Oxford English Dictionary, basically. It's available for free online: http://www.saob.se/

They've currently worked all the way from A to VEDERSYN.

(Not to be confused with "Svenska Akademiens ordlista" (SAOL), the regularly updated "definitive" glossary that people often use as a reference, also available for free online: http://www.svenskaakademien.se/ordlista)

So if you go to SAOB and search for kudde, one of the things you'll find is

"[sv. dial. kudde, ärtskida; jfr ä. dan. o. nor. dial. kodde, isl. kodde, kudde; jfr äv. mnt. kodde, kudde, gris, meng. codde, ärtskida, ävensom sv. dial. kudd, liten pojke, liten person; eg. identiskt med KODD o. besläktat med KOTTE o. KUT]"

Translated it would be read as something like:

"[Swedish dialectal kudde, ärtskida ("pea pod"); compare older Danish and Norwegian dialects kodde, Icelandic kodde, kudde; compare also Middle Low German kodde, kudde, pig, Middle English codde, pea pod, also Swedish dialectal kudd, small boy, small person; in fact identical to KODD and related to KOTTE and KUT]"


What a FABULOUS set of references. Deep bow for these.


Wow great! Thanks!


Searching in Wiktionary seems to be a great option, though seeing as this was a year ago, the database might not have some words yet. Anyway, the word comes from Proto-Germanic *kuddô, which means bag


SAOB seems to say kudde is related to “cut” words?


Is there any great difference between a quilt, duvet, blanket and a cover? I Googled, and, in fact, what shows up when you Google for täcke is more of a duvet/cover rather than a quilt (I didn't even know this word until today) My point is, if there's no vital difference, why not use more common words?


For me (a new Zealander living in the US now):

Quilt = the thin blanket generally sewn from squares of cotton (but can just be a thin cotton blanket also). Typically more suitable for summer temperatures.

Duvet = the plain white blanket traditionally filled with goose down (but often with polyester for cheaper modern versions) that goes inside a duvet cover. ie requires a cover.

Comforter = the thick blanket - often polyester filled - which is similar to a duvet but has it's own covering and does not require a duvet cover. More an American concept to be honest.

Doona = the american word for duvet that can also be used for comforter

Bedspread = a patterned blanket that goes on top of other blankets/bedclothes. Much like the fancy cover on hotel beds that is more for appearances that function.

Blanket = the blanket term for all of the above (see what I did there!!!) plus also includes woollen blankets and other styles that don't really fit into the above.

But from what I can see other cultures use these words more interchangeably than NZers do...


With these explanations it would be translated to:

quilt = lapptäcke (lit. patch ...), duvet = täcke or also duntäcke when filled with goose down, comforter = ?, bedspread = överkast (lit. throw-over), blanket = filt (the wool things etc, not in general for all the above).

"Täcke" is also used as suffix in e.g. "snötäcke" for a cover/blanket of snow outside.


I'm from NZ too and your explanation sounds exactly right to me also.


I think maybe that depends on your dialect of English; I lived in Australia for a while and they very often used "quilt" for what I (in US English) would call a "bedspread" or "comforter". For me, "quilt" is a very specific term for the sort of blanket your granny sews together out of squares of cloth scraps, or at least it was until I grew accustomed to the other usage too.

I haven't looked into it any further, but I know Oz English can still resemble UK English in a lot of ways, so it's possible that's UK usage as well? (though an actual UK speaker would have to clear that up).


I've never heard of a comforter. In the UK we say quilt or duvet interchangeably.


Australian; I use quilt for the big soft fluffy white thing that needs a cover. Doona is used here too. Have not heard duvet or comforter used here (yet); the latter sounds v. US to me, the former I probably just haven’t encountered.

Blanket might be used colloquially for the above but usually means the thinner woollen thing.


When I lived in NZ, they used "duvet" or "duvet cover" for what I would call a comforter. I don't remember hearing "quilt" there.


I'm in Canada and we say comforter. "I sleep with a thin sheet, and a comforter."


Good explanation of quilt (for most North Americans) There's also a verb, to quilt, which means the process of making a quilt, or of sewing lines across two pieces of fabric with something in between for warmth or thickness. blanket is thinner, cover would be something you put on a bed during the day, or on a couch or chair to protect it from spills or pet hair. I didn't know what a duvet was until I visited England, to me it's like a very thick quilt, made of a single piece of fabric, and tied, rather than "quilted"together - or, a comforter.


Honestly, I probably use and hear 'doona' more than anything else, but quilt is fairly accepted too. I rarely hear the word duvet, definitely not much of an Australian word.

A quick Google says doona was a brand name which overtook duvet as the word we use. Apparently it's based off the Danish 'dyne', so that's nice and circular.


How could I have forgotten about doona?! I love that word. :)


I never heard 'duvet' before. That's learning two by the price of one :)


I do not understand the difference between a duvet and a blanket...is this a european thing?


There's considerable regional difference in the English-speaking world. However, in general, this is a duvet:


And this is a blanket:



I looked up the etymology of täcke too; it appears to mean “cover” more broadly and is related to tak, roof. It also appears to be related to English deck. If I am wrong, please correct me.


Close - that's the origin of the verb täcka, from which täcke is derived.


i previously learned that kudde means cushion and huvudkudde (head cushion) means pillow.. is this incorrect?


I would never use "huvudkudde" unless I wanted to be extremely clear. Usually I'd just go for "kudde" both for cushions and pillows.


What about "dämpa"? Which one is used more often??


att dämpa is a verb meaning to reduce or moderate the impact of something. (Almost literally to "dampen" in terms of sound or blow!) I am guessing that the confusion arose because you got the translation to English as “cushion” - the verb form of the word. Eg I tried to cushion the blow.


From my experience living in Sweden, they just use 'kudde' for both- I suspect 'huvudkudde' would only be used when you need to draw a distinction between the two.


Thx for the clarification


I only started using the word duvet after I immigrated to Texas. Theretofore, a quilt was a comforter made of scraps.


Oh! I heard it as a roof and a floor! Silly me.


Now I'm Canadian, I have NEVER heard the word duvet...?! For me it's a blanket. From what century have you taken this??


Read through the above comments. The word duvet is in broad usage all around the rest of the world.


Why would Duolingo choose the word "duvet" to translate, before i searched the word I didn't even knew what it meant!


It is likely the most common English word for the item. Unfortunately, native English speakers all over the world appear to use vastle different words for it, and while we try to accept all reasonable interpretations, there does need to be a default one. It's not an optimal solution by any means.


ett duntäcke = a down (stuffed) comforter, ett lapptäcke = a quilt, en filt = a blanket, ett överkast = a duvet, ett påslakan = bag for quilt or blanket, ett örngott = pillowcase

Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.