"Min pappa är bonde."

Translation:My father is a farmer.

November 26, 2014

18 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/Yuki_Shiro

Bonde. James Bonde.

November 4, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/Ceern

Farmer Jim.

November 8, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/FLchick

Bonde Bond, deep undercover.

June 26, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/Crutypus

Are "pappa" and "mamma" more widely used in swedish ? I would never say "mom" or "dad" in front of somebody else. Then maybe it's a french thing

December 4, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/Anrui

I'd say 95% of Swedes would prefer mamma and pappa at all occasions. The remaining 5% would be split between Morsan farsan and Mor far

December 4, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/Lundgren8

I did a survey once asking people on the internet what they prefer when talking to and about their parents. These were the results:

May 14, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/Zmrzlina

Or their names!

February 18, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/KittyPineapple

I have found that mor and far are used more in the southern part of Sweden. Its rather difficult for me because I originally learnt some Swedish from an ex from Skåne but now I am learning to speak with my mothers boyfriend who is from Stockholm. Two different dialects.

May 22, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/NickTheEngineer

Why not "en/ett bonde"?

"My father is farmer"?

November 17, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/4oYBIxtO

You use "a" before the occupation in English, but you do not use "en/ett" before an occupation in Swedish

November 23, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Ekalisood

For those who are interested in Scandinavian history, the "aristocrats" of the Viking age were called "bondi".

September 18, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/devalanteriel

Re-recording

The voice is not quite perfect on this sentence, as of August 11th, 2017, so I've taken the liberty of re-recording it.

In this case, the pitch is wrong on both bisyllabic words.

Please find a correct recording on http://duolingo.vydea.io/338c31865d06408a9bbc6fd44702e42a.mp3

For more info on re-recordings, please check the info thread: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/23723515

Thanks for listening. Ha en bra dag! :)

August 11, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/mjrolk

Google likes to refer to bonde as "peasant." In English the term "peasant" typically has unpleasant connotations associated with it. Is peasant a fairly neutral term/synonym for farmer in Swedish or is Google being a little too literal/extreme?

April 6, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/Arnauti

In "the old days" (like 19th century and first half of the 20th), bonde was a pretty positive word as long as you were talking about Sweden. There were a lot of people who lived in the countryside but were too poor to call themselves bönder – en bonde in a Swedish context always owned/owns his own farm (even though he may be in debt) but a peasant could be just a labourer who didn't own anything, so the terms don't correspond that well – I don't think there's really a good translation of peasant. When speaking about peasants in other countries, such as for instance 19th century Russia, we'd normally use bonde even though they didn't fulfill the conditions required to call someone en bonde in Sweden. This is because we have specific words for the poorer classes in the countryside: torpare, backstugusittare, statare, dräng/piga, lantarbetare and so on (you can look them up in Wikipedia), that don't always match what it is/was like in other countries. (a serf is en livegen, btw, so there's that)

On the other hand bonde has always had negative connotations as seen from the perspective of the nobility and city dwellers, as a rough, uneducated person. So the word can have both positive and negative connotations, but since Swedish bönder have traditionally been självägande (owned their own land), farmer is a much better general translation than peasant.

July 9, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/Dannycooper1234

I had the word landbrukare" in my head for farmer.

Have I just misheard/misunderstood this or is this an actual work? If so, is there a difference between it and bonde?

February 19, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/devalanteriel

People generally use bonde in everyday speech, but they're both perfectly fine. :)

August 11, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Oracle867100

I had two typos in the word bonde, but duo didn't correct me. Is that on purpose?

June 2, 2019

https://www.duolingo.com/devalanteriel

No, definitely not. I've seen more reports about that recently, so I'm guessing the system is bugging.

June 3, 2019
Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.