1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Min søster prøver at spise t…

"Min søster prøver at spise to bordskånere."

Translation:My sister is trying to eat two trivets.

November 28, 2014



She obviously didn't know what a trivet was either...


What I find funny about 'trivet' is that nobody has heard the word before, but we all recognise the object. So what do we call them? I can't think of a specific word (except trivet, which is new to me), but I must have been referring to them by something all this time. Do we just say, 'can you pass me that thing to put under the pot'?


I had to think about, but I would have called them metal coasters. One of those things you never realize you don't really have a specific name for, like the plastic tips on shoelaces. Never heard trivet before


A plastic tip on shoelaces is called an aglet btw


I'd just call it a mat

  • 1434

Funny thing, in french we call it "dessous de table" (table's bottom / bellow the table?) when in fact it's used to put ON the table, not under it.. it should be called "below the pot" instead lol)


Me and my husband use English to be able to talk to and understand each other, and i've noticed that what we call it is really "that thing to put under the pot". Good that i've learnt the danish word for it, i'm sure he wouldn't understand if i just called it 'trivet'.


I'd never heard the word either and I'm a native speaker. I believe I have one however, just didn't know it had a name. Here are a couple of pictures for anyone who doesn't know what one is (which is evidently practically everybody:) http://www.leroymerlin.es/img/r25/51/5106/510606/12047952/12047952_z1.jpg Ours look more like this, but are better kept: http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/item-photos/antique-rusty-iron-trivets-primitive-vintage-round-trivet-collection-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-u62337t.jpg


The second is what I know as a trivet. The first looks like it is made to hold something like a fondue pot over a warmer.


I call it a table saver


A hot pad. I guess I'm more of a dinosaur than I thought. We always used the word trivet, or hot pad, but mostly trivet.


We always called it a stand, but I guess if a family doesn't know a word, they make one up.


In German it's an "Untersetzer" (literally "undersetter").


I'm glad I'm not the only one who had never heard of a trivet!


I had to google it haha


I didn't know what the hell a trivet was! Glad I'm studying Danish to learn what a thingy to put under pots is called! Bad enough not to know what a trivet is; totally weird that that a little girl ( one must assume ) tries to eat them!


According to various online dictionaries the word 'trivet' has not been used much in English since the nineteenth century. It is/was called a trivet because it usually stands on three legs.


Can't "bordskåne" also be translated into English as a "coaster"?


bordskåner*, but yes, it's the same thing. I said the same thing, and I got it wrong, I don't know why


We just call it a "table mat"...


That's one tough woman!


She must be related to the grandmother hiding in the blue trash can.


I wonder if this sister is the girl who killed the bear.


Or especially oblivious. My family growing up long had a cork trivet with one small bite neatly taken out of it. Story is that at a certain age, I had a tendency to check whether anything was edible....


My Adirondack side of the family always called them "trivets", and we had lots of them as they are perfect for setting hot casseroles on.


My family and my husband's family came from all over the country and we all use the word "trivet". It never occurred to me that someone wouldn't know what it was.


A coaster is normally something smaller and thinner ehich eould be out under a cup, mug or glass and could be for preventing water rings in a wooden surface, so could be made out of paper, cork etc. A trivet is usually larger and thicker and is for hot objects, so could be made out of wood, cork, tiles etc


Why two? did she succeed at eating the first one?


She might have made a sandwich with them.


It seems I've learned a new word in English as well as Danish :) (I've never even seen a "trivet" before, but we used to use something similar in chemistry :P)


It's more than a coaster. A trivet is used to protect a surface from a hot dish. I was very surprised to find that most people here don't know the word "trivet". It's the only word I've ever known for the thing.


A coaster would be "ølbrik" in Danish.


It's called a heat mat. Also, the male voice's pronunciation of the word is definitely not right... The stress should be on the first syllable. (Source: Danish friends)


The Dutch translation of the word trivet was vuurbok and I've never heard that word before either. But I have them in my kitchen. I just call them differently.


Isn't it possible that a trivet is a "onderzetter" in Dutch?


I tried to analyse the word "bordskåner" and came up with "someone from Skåne sitting on a table".


The audio is bad (bordskånere). We might all know that but why does DUO not fix it?


I hope she enjoyed it...pretty sure it was hard to digest!


didn't realize they are edible


One rare use of the word trivet in literature. The Importance of Being Earnest: JACK: Oh, Gwendolen is as right as a trivet. (Possibly meaning she is as fit as a fiddle)

[deactivated user]

    A place mat, frequently made of cotton or other fabric, is put on the table under the plate and cutlery.

    A coaster, made of leather, cork or else, is placed under a glass or bottle.

    A trivet is an iron tripod set up for cooking - usually outdoors.

    None of the above is edible.


    a new word for me, trivet. I call it a 'mat' or pot coaster, because a coaster is something you put under a glass or cup.


    Delicious with a cheese slicer in between.


    Why does your man pronounce " bordskånere" as " bordskån- eere"? It is not helpful, nor, I am sure, is it correct


    Yep, definitely wrong. The woman mispronounces it too. But look on the bright side, they are consistent!


    If they gave us a sentence such as 'put the hot saucepan on the trivet' that could help us guess the meaning of 'trivet' (as most of us clearly don't know the word).

    I have a silicone mat to protect the worktop from hot pans etc. If I were going to call it anything, I wouldn't call it a trivet or a coaster, but I would call it a saucepan mat, or possibly a heat mat as someone else in this thread suggests. Or better still, I might call it Steve.

    Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.