"Riksdagens ledamöter"

Translation:The members of the Swedish parliament

November 30, 2014



This could also refer to the members of the Finnish parliament, which is riksdagen as well. I have reported it.

January 4, 2015


Yeah I am confused by this word. Couldn't it theoretically be the parliament of any given country?

December 7, 2015


No, because not all countries’ parliaments are called riksdag. As far as I know, it’s only true for Finland and Sweden.

December 7, 2015


Ok I see, what would you call Canada's parliament? Does Swedish ever use the construction "X country's parliament"?

December 7, 2015


Kanadas parlament. Here’s a Wikipedia category of different countries: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Lagstiftande_f%C3%B6rsamlingar_efter_land

December 7, 2015


Oh I see, that seems simple enough. Thanks!

December 8, 2015


The German parliament was called Reichstag earlier :)

May 25, 2016


And the building still is.

May 29, 2017


What is the difference with medlemmar?

February 19, 2015


Nowadays, a ledamot is a medlem who has been either chosen or elected to take on some corporate or political responsibility. Historically, being a ledamot meant you were a medlem with the right to make, influence, or assuage decisions.

That said, the choice is often largely idiomatic, and you have to learn when to use ledamot. For instance, you would be a ledamot of the Swedish Academy, but styrelsemedlem means member of the board. I would advise to just use medlem as a default if you're unsure, since it's vastly more common for everyday scenarios.

February 20, 2015


I've seen "the members of the Riksdag" also translated to a single swedish word before, if I remember correctly? Does is matter when to use which one?

January 21, 2016


It's rigsdagsledamöter if I remember correctly. I was wondering the difference as well.

May 8, 2017


the word "Swedish" should be excluded to remove all of the confusion. Since it also can refer to Finland it should also be written somewhere for the information.

also the sentence "Members of the Riksdag" kind of made my day. Can't be more swenglish than that :P

July 11, 2016


'the Riksdag' or just 'Riksdag'?

September 7, 2015


Because it's "Riksdagen' as definitive form, the is needed here.

October 31, 2018


If I am not allowed to translate "riksdagens ledamöter" as "the members of Swedish parliament," then why is duolingo translating it that way here (e.g., including "the")?

January 6, 2017


Why isn't "The Swedish parliament members" accepted?

May 21, 2018


I asked myself the same question.

March 10, 2019


I've added that now, though please note that I don't think it's the best possible translation.

March 10, 2019
Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.