1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Greek Lesson 4

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/panagiotis_ts

Greek Lesson 4

Hello everybody! Here's the fourth Greek lesson of my series! (see all the discussions about Greek here

In this lesson, which is a Christmas lesson, you will learn the basic vocabulary about Christmas. I'll write about Christmas in Greece in another discussion. So, here's the vocabulary. I don't write how the words are pronounced because you've already learnt it here. In front of the words you can find their articles, which are showing the genders of the word. Don't worry, I'll show you the articles and the genders in the next lesson!

• τα Χριστούγεννα = Christmas
  • ο Άγιος Βασίλης = Santa Claus
  • το δώρο = the present
  • η παραμονή Χριστουγέννων = the Christmas Eve
  • τα κάλαντα = the carols
  • το τρίγωνο = the triangle
  • το χριστουγεννιάτικο δέντρο = the Christmas tree
  • η Πρωτοχρονιά = the new year's (first) day
  • η βασιλόπιτα = (a pie which is eaten in the new year's first day, I'll write for it in the cultural lesson about Christmas, see more information here )

And some words that you must say if visiting a Greek person on these days...

• Καλά Χριστούγεννα! = Merry Christmas!
  • Καλή χρονιά! = Happy new year!
  • Χρόνια πολλά! = [it literally means "(live) many years" but people in Greek wish it to somebody on his/her birthday, on his/her name day, on Christmas,..........]

Also, when receiving a present, don't forget to say "ευχαριστώ" (=thanks) or, if you want to impress him/her with your Greek, then say also "Δεν έπρεπε" (it literally means you shouldn't, but with this you want to say you didn't need to buy me such a present!) !

So, have a merry Christmas, all in the duolingo community! :D Duo

Greek discussions directory

Παναγιώτης :)

December 22, 2014

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Tessivari

i have a question :) what does a triangle has common with Christmas? I don't know this tradition

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.