Can someone help me with this phrase?

[deactivated user]

John är inte svensk. Han är engelsk. Mary tycker om att skriva breven. John tycker om att skriva breven också.

Using Memrise I found the word "också". Memrise said that "också" means "too" or "aswell", but in different sources I also found the meaning "also". How could I use it in a phrase? Tell me that if there are more errors! Thanks!

December 23, 2014

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/gramphos

You have used breven in definite plural form. It is not wrong, but it sounds a little weird that they likes to write the letters. (What letters? (Since they aren't written yet, do they really exist?))

John är inte svensk. - John is not Swedish.

Han är engelsk. - He is English.

Mary tycker om att skriva brev. - Mary likes to write letters.

John tycker också om att skriva brev. - John also likes to write letters. / John likes to write letters too. / John likes to write letters as well.

Note that the också is best placed directly after the verb in this case. Since it refers back to that Mary likes writing letters. It is possible to place it at the end of the sentence but it gives a better flow to have it earlier. Also having it at the end connects it harder to the letters. Compare with

John tycker om att skriva brev. Han tycker om att skriva dikter också. - John likes writing letters. He likes writing poems too.

It is possible to use the "also" word order here as well:

John tycker om att skriva brev. Han tycker också om att skriva dikter. - John likes writing letters. He also likes writing poems.

To complicate things a little more you may also use the word även for also:

Även John tycker om att skriva brev. - John also likes to write letters. (Relating to someone eles who also likes writing letters). However this construct has a tone similar to "Even John likes to write letters." So I wouldn't recommend using it unless John usually don't like writing.

John tycker även om att skriva dikter. - John also likes to write poems. (Relating to something else John likes to do).

December 23, 2014

[deactivated user]

Thanks!! Well, one more question. Why is it "brev" and not "breven"? When should I use "breven"?

December 24, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/gramphos
      • brev is indefinite both singular and plural.
      • brevet is definite in singular (the letter)
      • breven is definite in plural (the letters)

"Kan du lägga brevet/breven på lådan?" Literally translates to "Can you put the letter(s) on the box?" and means "Can you post the letter(s)?" (Putting them in the mailbox.) That translates back to "Kan du posta brevet/breven?" which is also possible to say in Swedish.

December 24, 2014

[deactivated user]

Thanks! Now I see everything so much clear.

December 25, 2014
        Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.