"The party was very good."
Translation:Kalaset blev mycket bra.
Just to clarify the difference between the sample sentences: "Festen blev bra" is what the organiser of the party would say or if the outcome/success of the party was in question or if it was the subject of previous speculation. "Blev bra" is more like "turned out well" in this case. "The party was good," however, would simply be "festen var bra." Oh and do not use kalas unless you are talking about a children's party or being ironic/fuddy-duddy.
kalas are more commonly used for parties with children. There are some differences in which words are used in compounds which also involve several old words for party that seldom are used on their own nowadays.
- barnkalas - children's party
- födelsedagskalas / födelsedagsfest - birthday party
- nyårsfest - New Year's party
- klassfest - class party
- bröllopsfest - wedding celebration / wedding feast
- svensexa - bachelor's party
- möhippa - hen party
- kräftskiva - crayfish party
Note that hippa, sexa and skiva all are old words for party not used with that meaning on their own anymore.