1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Dutch
  4. >
  5. "Dit is de studie geneeskunde…

"Dit is de studie geneeskunde."

Translation:This is the medicine major.

December 30, 2014



What about "this is the study of medicine". That means something quite different from "this is the medicine major" or "this is the medicine degree". Does the phrase bear both meanings?


Not really. "Study" refers to studying in a very broad sense, not to any kind of specific course/degree/major etc.


So how about "the specialty"?


That doesn't sound quite right. Firstly, it is spelt "speciality" (and the 2nd "i" is pronounced) in UK English, and spelled "specialty" in the US - so "specialty" would be just as jarring to a UK speaker as "major" is. Secondly I'm still unsure of the intent of the Dutch phrase - is it meant to be asking if a particular course/class/lecture is medicine (in which case I'd say "course" or "lecture" would be right), or is it specifically asking if what is being talked about is (part of?) the main discipline of medicine - which is rather hard to put across simply in UK English. "speciality" almost conveys this in the UK, but "course" still sounds better to me. From what others have said I gather "major" conveys this better in the US. [OK, I am having a bit of fun here with "spelt" - here in the UK we can use spelt or spelled. In the US spelt is a cereal.]


In the United States, spelt is certainly a cereal, though one can also use it as the past participle of "to spell," as we have no national orthographic authority. In fact, neither spelt nor spelled, specialty or speciality, put either my knickers or my panties in a twist.

What does sound jarring to an American ear is medicine as a major, since undergraduates, those studying for their first postsecondary degree, do not major in medicine, which is a professional degree, open only to those who have already completed a bachelor's degree in something else, often biology, but I know physicians who studied everything from geology to Greek as undergraduates. An American studying medicine would therefore say "I am studying medicine" or "I am in medical school," but not "I am majoring in medicine." Of course, once again, we have no national authority that determines these things, so there might be a college out there with a major in medicine, strange as that sounds to me.


Are there really more Americans doing this course? So many words used in American English have other meanings to Brits a major is a rank in the army not associated with university to note one of several.


In Britain we refer to the "degree" you do rather than your "major", so would it be okay to translate this as "this is the medicine degree", or would that be something else?


Alternatively 'this is the course in medicine' (which I reported) ought to be a reasonable translation.


"The medicine course" also rejected. I will report it.


If the studies itself are meant, it is okay, if the diploma is meant, it is not.


At least here in Ireland (and I believe it's the same in the UK), generally the former meaning is intended.


I think the problem here is what this sort of translation example is trying to do. Is the aim to teach us how to translate Dutch into American English or into one's own local dialect of English? Most UK English speakers don't understand "major" as an education concept. I am British, and I do understand what "major" means in the US in this context, but I would never use it in a translation of a Dutch sentence unless I knew the sentence was directed to an American. This leaves me in a quandary with all these Duolingo examples - do I grit my teeth and use "major" so I get my answer accepted - or do I try to guess what the Duolingo people (whom I suspect aren't native British English speakers) think the correct British translation should be? In this particular case the word "course" would be the normal one used by me - but it doesn't seem to be acceptable - and "study" is definitely wrong to a British ear, as others have already pointed out. Perhaps you need to know more about the context - eg could someone say the original Dutch when entering the lecture hall to check that (s)he was in the right place? Then "This is the medicine lecture" would be right. Incidentally, looking at various Dutch dictionaries I see most translations of "studie" given as "course" and hardly ever as "major".


No, you write "course" and flag it as a translation that needs to be added. I have done the same when US English terms were not accepted and I have noted Hiberno-English terms being added in various courses as well. You are not the first Briton to use Duolingo, but you should definitely be the first Briton to flag that translation, thus paving the way for your compatriots who learn Dutch after you.


First off, as an American, I was incorrect for this translation on my first go round. "this is the study of medicine" was my initial answer. I know the term "major" as I had two in college/university, yes I went to both a college and an Uni (see, I used a UK term here). So, I learned what Duo was looking for in one English translation. One possible English translation. Maybe Duo needs to expand, and The Queens/UK English to Dutch should be a separate course??

Since I learned what Duo wanted, I have learned how to respond. I don't know if that is good or bad, but it's how to get the job done.


I think 'study' is the same thing as 'course', therefore it should be accepted


Unfortunately, I cannot tell if you are British, but in my opinion, it's not the same thing - in Britain at least. If we say we are "doing a study", it implies that we are engaged in a piece of research, not "doing a course". "This is the medicine study" would NOT mean: "This is the medicine course". A medicine study would suggest a clinical trial, for example.


I'm not a native speaker and in my language both of those words in their various meanings can mean the same, thank you for answer.


"Study" is absolutely not the same thing as "course" in either British or US English.


It's not, but Dutch 'studie' does mean the same thing as 'course (of study)' in English. Unfortunately, it's still being rejected.


Dat is niet helemaal waar. "Studie" heeft een vrij serieuze lading. Het kan ook "een zorgvuldig onderzoek" betekenen, maar in deze context betekent het wel degelijk een universitaire studie of een opleiding in de hogere regionen (Hoger Beroepsonderwijs of iets dergelijks). Het hoeft dus niet persé een universitaire studie te zijn, maar het is beslist geen alledaagse cursus.


I'm responding in English, because I have points to make that need to be made in English.

In this context, it is true. If 'studie' can be translated as the American English term 'major' then it can and should be translatable as 'course'. To give you some examples, when I was in college, I did a degree course in Computer Science. In my CompSci course, I did courses in compilers, distributed systems, embedded systems, operating systems, &c.

So, if 'studie' can be translated as 'major', it equally can be translated as 'course'. If anything, 'course' is the more general term in English, whereas the term 'major' is much narrower.


I really cant get why one should translate studie as major one time and study the other. It doesnt make sense.


What is wrong with: this is the medicine study ?


Because "study" does not mean the same as "course", or even the American: "major". Just because it looks like the word "study" doesn't mean that's the correct translation.


"this is the medical major" what is the difference between medical and medicine major in english?


I think the study of the subject would always be called "medicine" in English, but as UK English speakers don't use the term: "major", they wouldn't use either phrase. If we compare with other subjects, most are referred to by a noun, not an adjective. Thus we have "a philosophy course", not: "a philosophical course", and: "an art course", not: "an artistic course". A course might be philosophical or artistic without being a philosophy or art course, though. ;) Oddly: "a medical student" is fine, but you would not say: "an artistic student" - at least, not if you meant someone engaged in the formal study of art. "An artistic student" would have the personal attribute of being artistic, but not necessarily be studying art.


So, if we have a conversation at a party, and say I'm studying agromegilaology, and you ask what is that? I reply "it's a medical major (course of study, implied), the study of advanced bone growth. I'm "majoring" in medicine." And I hope to have a minor (course of study, implied) in English! LOL

I grew up on an university campus in the states, and attended many parties where the conversations contained such superficial dialog. ;-}

Thanks again for responding and explaining my dilema.

So it would seem Duolingo has a problem when it comes to defining a Dutch term to an English equivalent that everyone speaking English would use.

Thanks again!


I do not know what a major is


It's an American term for your major course of study in a university degree.


Indeed. Depending on the school, one might also have a minor.

Learn Dutch in just 5 minutes a day. For free.