"Han läser ett kapitel."

Translation:He is reading a chapter.

December 30, 2014

This discussion is locked.


Ett kapitel av Das Kapital.


Yeah, wasn't sure if this sentence was directly referencing Capital at first.


I have realised many words in the Education section are very similar to Romantic languages (Spanish and French, at least), much more than the English translation. I wonder why...


It sounds like the word in Spanish "capítulo"


Sure - they're both ultimately derived from Latin capitulum.

English "chapter" actually comes from that as well - it's from Old French chapitre, which in turn comes from even older French chapitle, and in turn the Latin capitulum.


Yes, and also 'klass' (clase), 'universitet' (universidad), 'idé' (idea), 'lektion' (lección), 'skola' (escuela), 'bibliotek' (biblioteca), 'kurs' (curso), 'student' (estudiante), 'skriver' (escribir), 'prov' (prueba), .... but then you have 'anteckningar', 'utbildningen'... ((+_+))


Fun fact! Up until the 1960s, our minister of education was called ecklesiastikminister, since the department handled issues related not only to education, but also to the church and to culture. You can see the connection between ecklesiastik and iglesia. :)


Yes, in fact it is 'eclesiástico' in Spanish. Here in Spain, we still have the Church and the government deciding what children have to learn. And they change the law every other year. You can imagine. No critical thinking at all.


Is it really [ka'pittel] with a double t? Are there other words that behave this way or is this an exception? And if there are more words like this, is there a rule to help one recognise them?


Yeah, that’s how it’s pronounced. It can happen with loanwords since their spelling aren’t necessarily changed to reflect Swedish phonology.


As läser can mean studies in some contexts, would that be an acceptable translation here?


I would argue that it shouldn't be. You can läsa a subject, and it would mean to study that subject, but it doesn't quite hold true for books.


What would be the Swedish word for capital in context of a letter written in Uppercase? How would one say "The word has a capital letter" or "The text is written in capital letters"?


We use versaler for uppercase / capital letters, and kapitäler for small caps. Colloquially, like in English, we usually just say stora (large) and små (small) bokstäver (letters).


And lower case is "gemener".

Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.