"The man drinks milk."

Translation:Mannen dricker mjölk.

January 3, 2015

This discussion is locked.


Shouldn't the english translation of mannen dricker mjölk be "the men are drinking milk"? 'cause "mannen" is plural, right?


No, it's en man in the singular, mannen is the definite singular.
The plural is män, definite plural 'the men' is männen.
This can be tricky for people who speak German.


Or Dutch ;) Thanks!


Yup, dutch as well, driving me insane xd


I speak english and even I find this tricky >.<


A helpful thing for English speakers could be the fact that you basically have the same thing in English – one man, many men = odd plural created by just changing the vowel.
Just like the odd plurals möss and löss of mus and lus shouldn't be a big surprise to people who say 'one mouse, many mice' and 'one louse, many lice'.


I would assume that the plural "män" would be a collective for men or rather a generalization of men.

E.g. Men are strong. As opposed to The men are strong


Ah - okay. I was going to ask where the definite article was, but I think you answered that one for me. Just to clarify - in Swedish noun cases is the article is implied? That is, whether it is singular or plural? If so, why do we need ett?


Definiteness/Indefiniteness is shown with the article en/ett for indefinite, which is 'standalone' like in English, but with a suffix for definites. (en man vs mannen)
Singular/plural is shown with suffixes (and sometimes changes to the stem as here), but indefinite nouns don't have articles in the plural.
Hope this helps!


Definitely helps! A lot. Thank you kindly.


How long have you used the app, your profile is insane.


Two years, soon three I think. You should have a look in the various Halls of Fame on this site, there are a lot of people who are more insane than me :D


Impressive comrade!


as a german speaker, I definitely agree!


When you press on the drinks it says drinkar. So I put that and it was wrong. It said it q Had to be dricker


Yes, drinkar is the noun, like in 'cocktails', but dricker is the verb like in 'is drinking'. I've tried to improve the hint now.


Sorry to bother but I would like to have an answer to that because I find this hard to understand, I also learn German and Dutch so I just got really confused. I thought ''mannen'' would be plural? So what's the difference between "män, mannen and ett man" or which one is translated to "the men , the man, and man" Sorry if the question sounds confusing but I just cant understand the difference. Thanks a lot.


I know it's confusing, but mannen isn't plural, it's only the singular definite ('the man').
So it's en man, mannen in the singular, and the plural is män, männen.


I love svedish and I live in finland so I need svedish very much


why does Mannen loose the double dot above the a? like Mån (cant find the shortcut for the double dot)


It doesn't lose the umlaut (the double dot), it gains it in the plural. Singular definite is mannen, plural definite is männen. Hold the A on your smartphone and it should give you a list of all possible A diacritics.


I think just because the pronunciation of the vowel changes between the singular and plural forms. I would be interested if anyone else knows whether that vowel change is part of a pattern.


Why not "De Mannen dricker mjölk"?


A noun only gets the double definite if it has a describing adjective. And secondly, it would then be "den ... mannen".


That would be the the man


Just saying, the way this is set out is quite similar to Russian. The words are different, but it just feels comftorable. Or it may just be that i know a lot of Germanic and Slavic languages so its quite similar.

Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.