Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/OnesimusUnbound

Why estar is used in this sentence?

I was reading the label of a food product, which is written in both English and Spanish, and this particular sentence caught my attention. I simply couldn't understand why estar is used in the spanish version.

  • [en] Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • [es] Los Porcentajes de Valores estan basados en una dieta de 2,000 calorias.

If i'm not mistaken, the sentence is factual, so I can't understand why estar is used in this case.

3 years ago

5 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/remoonline
remoonline
  • 25
  • 21
  • 264

It maybe something to do with the based on. For based out of sentences, I have seen the estar form being used. For example, for I am based out of Charlotte, Estoy basado en Charlotte seems the way to go.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/tu.8zPhLD72zzoZN
tu.8zPhLD72zzoZN
  • 25
  • 25
  • 22
  • 18
  • 16
  • 16
  • 13
  • 13
  • 12
  • 11
  • 11
  • 10
  • 10
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 8
  • 8
  • 7
  • 7
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 3
  • 3
  • 3
  • 3

It may be a fact, but it is not a permanent condition. It could be based on 3000 calories or 1000 calories instead. Daily percent values could change if the calorie intake changes. http://spanish.about.com/cs/verbs/a/servsestar.htm http://spanish.about.com/od/usingparticularverbs/a/estar.htm http://spanish.about.com/od/usingparticularverbs/a/ser.htm

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/TatianaBoshenka

It's always confusing to me when you use ser and when estar. I think a lot of times the real answer is just, because that's how they do it, because that's how it sounds right. So I just try to memorize the different ways.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/galletarodeanda
galletarodeanda
  • 12
  • 11
  • 11
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 6
  • 2

yeah, I deal with it like you right now. Sure, in the beginning its a lot of help to learn the grammar rules and Id say they cover up to 60 percent of the cases if you pay attention to them properly. However, I also feel like you cannot learn it rationally for the rest of the 40 percent. It`s just how they do it and our job is to get a feeling for it and stop wondering why.

However allintolearning offered a good explanation which makes perfectly sense.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vcel10
vcel10
  • 25
  • 22
  • 12
  • 6
  • 4

. . . so true! Well that works for me.

3 years ago