1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Harry Potter à l'école des so…


Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers

  • 422

I am confused as to how to translate the title of this article. This is the French title for the book in English called "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". But if I'm translating the French literally, I would translate it as "Harry Potter at Sorcerer's School" Or "Harry Potter at Wizards' School" So, should I be translating literally, or go by my French copy of this book Harry Potter à L'école des sorciers ?

July 26, 2013



If you're translating it to English, you would use the actual English title of the book. Translating it literally would just be confusing. A name already exists for the book in English, and you want people to know what you're talking about!

As Danwizard pointed out, the first book in the Harry Potter series actually has two English titles, a UK one (the original title) and an American one, so whichever one you use would depend on the audience for the translation.


Harry Potter to the school of the wizards? the UK version of Harry Potter is called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone also, not Sorcerer's Stone, so I don't know if the French one is a translation of the USA version or English one


I know the Spanish translation I was reading was translated from the UK version of the book

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.