Does anyone know what kind of bar this is? A pub? A metal bar? A sand bar? A legal bar? A ban? A Mars bar? All of the above?
Usually it's a counter within any bar/restaurant/house with open kitchen. It can also mean pub, but I think café and kroeg are more common words for that. Also coffee bar = koffiebar.
The following are not bar in Dutch:
- metal bar = metalen staaf
- sand bar = zandbank
- legal bar, I don't think there is a specific word for this in Dutch
- a ban = een verbod
- Mars bar = Marsreep
- to bar (to block) = blokkeren/versperren
- to bar (to exclude) = buitensluiten (lit. lock outside)
- behind bars = achter de tralies
But we do have other usages of bar:
- het is bar = it is extreme
- het is niet bar = it is mediocre/it is not very good
- het is bar koud = it is very cold
- een bar landschap = a barren landscape