Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/flootzavut

Weirdest, funniest or most esoteric sentence you have learned on Duolingo!

flootzavutPlus

I hope no one will mind me starting this topic - it's a case of this makes me giggle, and I'm hoping others have similarly humorous experiences and can share!

I know a lot of the sentences and vocab are chosen to teach a grammar point, rather than because they are necessarily sentences that would crop up frequently for the beginner, and I actually really like learning a mixture of useful stuff, and stuff that is not necessarily immediately useful but might be interesting.

That said, occasionally Duolingo has come up with sentences that have made me roll about laughing, or declare "go home, Duolingo, you're drunk!"

Human nature and my brain being what it is, I'm pretty sure these are sentences I'll never forget, even if I never get to use them. I would absolutely LOVE to see what other strange sentences (in any language) have come up for other people. Also, of course, I love knowing really random sentences in ANY language :D

So far, my favourites on the weirdness front (with apologies if I type them wrong, fingers crossed I won't)...:

Ich habe eine Ente (I have a duck)

I really want to have a reason to use this at some point.

Dieser Käse ist gut, obwohl es ist alt (This cheese is good, although it is old)

... Yum...

Ich kenne nicht den Vogel (I do not know the bird)

Presumably, this is NOT my duck... ;D

3 years ago

234 Comments