Learning German from Youtube, TV shows , movies & other useful websites
Hi, since I have seen some frequent questions about this topic in the forums, I decided to make a list of different shows, websites & movies in German that might help spice up your German & help you with listening German.<h1>
- GetGermanized---Learn German, get to know Germany and German culture and have fun doing so
- Deutsch für Euch
- Learn German with Herr Antrim --- Learn German with Herr Antrim and his puppets
German Stories in HD for children to read along
Basic conversations & expressions
Eazy German--- Interviews with real life Germans and people living in Germany with subtitles
- Deutsch Direkt
- Deutsche Welle-Learn German
- Forbidden German(explicit)
- Deutsch Aktuell
- Deutsch Plus
- SamWaltonMan --- Sam Waltons adventures in Germany
- Emily Bland --- Vlogs of a brit living in Berlin
- IratschTV--- German prankster
- 0,5er--- Another Prankster, with subtitles
- StrengGeheim--- Mysteries and conspiracy theories
- Top10---Top ten lists
- Leon Machere---Albanian prankster pranking Germans
- Kurzgesagt---German science channel
- Whatsforbeats---German cooking/music show
- Der Humpink---Christoph Waltz doing some silly stuff
- DiagonalViewDe---The weird part of the internet explained in German
- DeinZoo---Youtube channel for animal lovers in German
- Der Erste Weltkrieg----German history channel about WW I
- Flying Pandas---Awesome slo-mos and sketches
- Thien Nguyen---About asians in Germany, manga and entertainment
- TheDevilMethod---German magician nerd who will teach you how to pick up German girls
- Jaysbeauty---German make up guru
- LamiyaSlimani---Another German beauty guru
- Anna Maria Damm---German-Pinay fashion youtuber
- Sami Slimani---German male beauty guru
- Wasgehtab---German news entertainment channel
- WahreVerbrechen---German crime channel about real psychopaths and crimes
- Flula --- German entertainer based in LA who will teach you the meaning of "greased dachshund" or "poop friendly"
- StudyinGermany --- describes the life of foreign students in Germany with subtitles
- Marzia Gaggioli ---Songs in German by Marzia Gaggioli
- AlexiBexi--- Sings popularEnglish songs in German
- freekickerz --- Biggest Football-Channel on Youtube showing the best free kicks, skills, tricks& techniques.
- YTITTY --- Parodies of music videos
- AGGRO.TV --- Hip-hop label based in Berlin
- Majestic Casual----- Majestic Casual represents the best of electronic music, deep house, experimental, hip-hop, indie, pop and many more. It's part of the majestic brand which is based in Stuttgart, Germany and was established in the year 2011 as one of the first audiovisual music blogs on YouTube.
- FourMusic --- German pop, indie, hip-hop music label
- lookslikelink --- Gaming channel & let's plays
- SmartBooks --- Audiobooks in German
- MissesVlog --- Comedy/lifestyle youtuber
- Cielle Noire --- Vlogs, Games, Lifestyle and more
- Duolingo Bonus skills on Memrise --- New vocabulary to support your Duolingo studies, updated weekly and also available in 15 other languages
- Lingojam---Authentic German conversations, follow a funny story set in Berlin and understand everything through translation dictionary. Made by duoling user SuperDH & co.,
- Deutsche Welle course
- Children stories
- Bliu Bliu
- Goethe Einstufungstest
- TestDAF Mustertest
- Admission test to the Bavarian Studienkolleg
Finding a partner to practice German:
Just for fun & procrastination:
German slang, lingvopedia , 1jux , lachschon , beichthaus , smsvongesternnacht , debeste , heftig , german-bash , istdasnormal , was-ich-als-kind-dachte , German idioms , chefkoch , nachdenkseiten.de , cats , 973 , webfail , Graphic novels in German , Biggest free German online library , Copyright free ebooks , German version of The Onion/Daily Mash
- Piggeldy und Frederick --- Easy to understand German children cartoon show about a little pig and his big brother
- Loriot---- Classic sketch comedy series
- Tatort--- A long running German cop show where detectives work to solve a crime
- Der Tatortreiniger --- The bizarre everyday adventures of Heiko "Schotty" Schotte, whose profession is to clean up crime scenes.
- Galileo---German TV show about science and lifehacks
- Stomberg --- German version of "The Office"
- Knallerfrauen --- Sketch comedy series
- Schulz in the box --- Musician Olli Schulz is put in a wooden box and is sent to the most bizarre places of the world
- Heimat - Eine deutsche Chronik--- The story of the village Schabbach, on the Hunsrueck in Germany through the years 1919-1982
- comedystreet --- Prank show
- Mein neuer Freund --- German version of "My new best friend"
- Darüber lacht die Welt--- Prank show
- Joko und Klaas --- Comedy show
- The Voice Kids --- Music casting show for children
- Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter
- Die Sendung mit der Maus---German children show where different topics are explained for children
- Die Sendung mit dem Klaus--- A spoof show of "Die Sendung mit der Maus" but with topics for grown-ups
- DasSandmännchen---German children show
- Pumuckle---German children show about a Bavarian carpenter who discovers a goblin in his workshop
- Käpt'n Blaubär --- Children show about a Hanseatic Bluebear captain telling a cock-and-bull story to his grandchildren, with the frame narrative being made with animated puppets and Bluebear's story itself being a traditionally animated short film.
- Echt Fett --- Austrian prank show
- Wir können auch anders
- Fack ju Göhte --- A comedy that follows an ex-con who lands a position at a school that sits over the spot where money from one of his earlier robberies was stashed.
- Kebab Connection--- In Hamburg, Ibrahim "Ibo" Secmez, of Turkish descent, wants to direct the first German kung-fu movie.
- Die Feuerzangenbowle--- A successful writer, home-schooled in his youth, masquerades as a student at a secondary school to experience all the fun and pranks he missed out on.
- Lammbock --- Stefan and Kai have good going business, self-grown cannabis screened as pizza delivering service.
- Herr Lehmann --- In October 1989, the part of the West Berlin borough of Kreuzberg called SO 36, had been largely shut off by the Wall from the rest of the city for 28 years.
- Nicht mein Tag
- Fraktus --- Dockumentary about independent electronic band "Fraktus", which started the popular new wave music in the 80's and inspired famous bands like New Order, Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Scooter and Daft Punk with tracks such as Affe sucht Liebe or All die Armen Menschen. In 2008 DJ and producer Skrillex even imitated Bernd Wand's haircut as a sign of admiration. Even though they are referred as the "grandfathers" of the techno genre, their ingenious live performances and also being credited for inventing the smiley, they never got the publicity and recognition they deserved, only managing to release one major label LP record. After 25 years they surface again to reunite, struggling against their old vices and the new demands of the audience.
- Deutschland. Ein Sommermärchen
- Die Mannschaft
- Alter Ego --- A close inside look into the biggest art movement the world has seen so far, and into an art form that is not really accepted as such and yet not understood by most of the people.
- Der Himmel über Berlin
- Befreite Zone --- A financially devastated German town receives an encouraging boost with the arrival of a popular soccer star.
- Das Leben der Anderen --- In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives.
- Das Weiße Band --- Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment.
- Die Blechtrommel --- Oskar Matzerath, son of a local dealer, is a most unusual boy. Equipped with full intellect right from his birth he decides at his third birthday not to grow up as he sees the crazy world around him at the eve of World War II.
- A Coffee in Berlin --- This tragicomedy is a self-ironic portrait of a young man who drops out of university and ends up wandering the streets of the city he lives: Berlin.
- Goodbye Lenin --- In 1990, to protect his fragile mother from a fatal shock after a long coma, a young man must keep her from learning that her beloved nation of East Germany as she knew it has disappeared.
- Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes --- In the 16th century, the ruthless and insane Don Lope de Aguirre leads a Spanish expedition in search of El Dorado.
- Stroszek --- In Berlin, an alcoholic man, recently released from prison, joins his elderly friend and a prostitute in a determined dream to leave Germany and seek a better life in Wisconsin.
- Out of Rosenheim ---- A lonely German woman ends up in the most desolate motel on Earth and decides to make it brighter.
- Der Baade Meinhos Komplex
- Fitzcarraldo --- The story of Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an extremely determined man who intends to build an opera house in the middle of a jungle.
- Das Wunder von Bern
- Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle ---- The true and mysterious story of Kaspar Hauser, a young man who suddenly appeared in Nuremberg in 1828, barely able to speak or walk, and bearing a strange note.
- Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei
- Kirschblüten - Hanami
- Tausend Ozeane
- Das Boot --- The claustrophobic world of a WWII German U-boat; boredom, filth, and sheer terror.
- Der Untergang --- Traudl Junge, the final secretary for Adolf Hitler, tells of the Nazi dictator's final days in his Berlin bunker at the end of WWII.
- Die Brücke --- In 1945, Germany is being overrun, and nobody is left to fight but teenagers.
- Hunde wollt ihr ewig leben --- In the winter of 1943, against the background of battle scenes, a young German Lieutenant who increasingly distrusts the inhuman Nazi ideology struggles with the concept of war.
- Knockin' on Heaven's Door --- Two young men, Martin and Rudi, both suffering from terminal cancer, get to know each other in a hospital room. They drown their desperation in Tequila and decide to take one last trip to the sea.
- Lola rennt --- A young woman in Germany has twenty minutes to find and bring 100,000 Deutschmarks to her boyfriend before he robs a supermarket.
- Faust, eine deutsche Volkssage --- The demon Mephisto wagers with God that he can corrupt a mortal man's soul.
- Der Samurai ---- A wolf strives through the woods around an isolated German village. Jakob the young local police officer is onto him, but scents something more in the darkness.
- Antikörper --- Long wanted serial killer Gabriel Engel gets arrested in a spectacular police strike. Small town cop Michael Martens travels to the big city to interrogate him.
- Das Experiment
- German Angst
- NekROMANTIK(18+) --- A street sweeper who cleans up after grisly accidents brings home a full corpse for him and his wife to enjoy, but is dismayed to see that his wife prefers the corpse over him.
- Funny Games (18+) ---- Two psychotic young men take a mother, father, and son hostage in their vacation cabin and force them to play sadistic "games" with one another for their own amusement.
I hope this list can be of any help. If you have recommendations, feel free to extend the list.
I will press your thumbs and hold your ears stiff!
Great list! Thanks for writing it down. :D
To make an addition: If any of you are into Let's Plays and gaming content, check out LooksLikeLink. He speaks very clearly and at a reasonable pace, albeit with a Berlin dialect. If you're a noob (like yours truly), don't worry about understanding all of it, and the Legend of Zelda games will offer some reading comprehension as well.
Hier kann mann Deutsche Fernsehen schauen.
I've started to work my way through what's available to me, and I absolutely love Extr@. It's a real challenge because there are no subtitles, but I'm managing to follow the story pretty well. I also enjoy Deutsch Plus... the German subtitles are great; I'm so glad they're not in English because that wouldn't help learning German.
Suggestion for an addition: the comedy film Gentlemen in White Vests. It's available on Amazon streaming with English subtitles and I thought it was pretty cute and clever.
Der Film 'Eine Frau in Berlin' ist sehr gut. Nina Hoss und Sidikhin sind gute Schauspieler. Extra ist gut, natürlich c: Löwenzahn, Das Traumschiff, Die Sendung mit Der Maus... Das Boot ist auch sehr gut. Die Englische Heirat, Der Blaue Engel... das sind aber alt c: Es gibt viel mehr....
I'm going to add Run Lola Run, The Lives of Others, Barefoot and Nicht mein Tag to the films, Generation War (Unsere Mutter, Unsere Vater) to TV. Hamburger Schule was a music movement that may also be worth checking out.
All in all though, a very comprehensive list and I thank you greatly for it. Bookmarked in an instant. :-)
Der Leben das Anderen is one of my favourite movies. Very powerful, I thought about it for days afterwards.
I just restarted my German studies, so thank you for all the sources. When I was studying English I noticed how important it is to create an 'English world'. So at that time I watched, English films, BBC, read loads of book (in English), read English websites, I wrote my shopping lists in English and forced myself to think in English too. Only school and my parents and friends spoke Dutch. Creating this English world really helped me, so using the above mentioned sources are great to create a 'German world'. I currently started practising German spoken yoga classes (see you tube) as well :)
Vielen Danke! Sehr gut! I Don't think I can thank you enough for the amount of resources you gave out. Some of the things from YouTube I already use such as "Extra" the Deutsche Welle website and podcasts. "Deutsch für Euch" has been helpful. "Easy German," I always feel I know way more German than I thought I did. Thanks for also listing all these websites and shows as well. Thank you so much!
Looks like you don't really need another lingot, but I gave you one anyway! Vielen Dank!
Thanks for this wonderful list! I have so much fun watching "Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl". It is so entertaining.
Jojo sucht das Glück is a pretty good German learning Youtube series produced by Deutsche Welle. Short episodes, focus on grammar, and clear speaking.
Great just what i'm looking for you can also add DW-TV and website very useful
Here is another useful lionk: This guy has really helped me: http://www.authenticgermanlearning.com/master-german-grammar-without-effort/ and here is his Youtube channel - he uploads a new video every day and he just talks about everyday stuff. Just watch the videos and you will just learn intuitively. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcNBwmeFr0IeLVlP_49glrA