1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Hun tager en universitetsudd…

"Hun tager en universitetsuddannelse."

Translation:She takes a university education.

February 3, 2015



Could this be "She's getting..."? I'm still not sure what it means to take an education.


This is just the common way this is said in Danish, and the suggested answer is just translated literally.. if you were just speaking in English you would likely choose different words to describe someone going to university.

"she is getting" would be an acceptable substitution.


Even though you might think we think it's ok to say "she is taking a university education," that is not the way we would say it. For the most part the Danish section seems to want to be correct, but you have to concede that since you are so used to speaking Danish and English, you just might be saying some of the English idioms and phrases incorrectly. I don't think you should decide what is acceptable in English when so many people are telling you something is wrong.


It should be "getting," I think. At least in the U.S., we take classes, but get educations.


This is misleading. We would never say in the UK that you "take" an education, or a degree for that matter.


Duo accepts "She is getting a university education."


She takes a(n) university education?


I'm not sure what you're asking about. Are you unsure whether to use "a" or "an" for the article?

Whether you use "a" or "an" depends on the pronounciation of the next word, specifically if that word has a vowel for its initial sound or a consonant. So you say

  • an undertaking; an urban area, because these words begin with vowelly sounds ([ʌ] and [ɜ:], respectively, which would be close to a and ø in Danish)
  • a universe; a union, because those are pronounced with a [j] in the beginning.

Conversely you have

  • a house; a huge dog, because these are pronounced with consonants ([h] and [ç])
  • an hour; an honour, because the "h" is silent here.

I think "u" and "h" are the only letters in English where this kind of thing happens, so it's not too difficult to apply. Still annoying enough, though. :´)


"A ewe". It might be the only other word.


Yes, that's a good example. I also got to know in the meantime that (almost?) every word starting with 'eu' makes that sound. A European decision, a eulogy, a eureka moment. And of course the odd one out: a ouija board. :´)


It accepts university degree, which works better with 'takes'.


I wrote "she's studying at a university." This is one of the worst duo translations I've seen!


It has basically the same meaning, but I would suggest to stay as close as possible to a literal translation. "She is studying at a university" would be better captured as "Hun læser på et universitet."


But no one (in the USA at least) would say "She takes a university education." -- "She's getting a university education", maybe. I've done some professional translations - also from Danish. It's a difficult task, because things are expressed differently in different countries - and even organized differently. In Denmark you get an "uddannelse" in English or Medicine, or whatever. In England, I think, you "read Economics" or whatever. In the USA you go to college or a university and you get your education there, and major in something (as an undergraduate), but I said I was "studying Germanic linguistics" when I went to graduate school.


I know that predicament about fixed phrases (and the different use of prepositions among languages). I just tried to explain a little. :)
No one would seriously say it like that in English, I agree, but I'm a proponent of keeping the translations rather literal. It teaches you better how the people from other languages are thinking. After all, you're here to learn Danish, not English. :D


In a way I agree with you, because my granddaughter is about to start 'reading' at Oxford, and I live on the USA and I and my daughter studied in Danmark. There's no way to make a decent translation. But I got it wrong here, and since i'm fluent in Danish, I don't like that!


Just as an aside, I have only ever heard it referred to as ‘reading’ a subject at Oxford and Cambridge. You would be more likely to hear a British person say they are taking (or doing) a degree in Maths or whatever. I would say for this sentence, she is getting a university education.


A lot of comments is about why this sentence used takes/taking instead of gets/getting.

You can also say "Hun modtager en universitetsuddannelse" = "She gets a university education" in danish.

The main difference is that "take" implies that you did some effort, while "get" only tells that you received it.

Like at the dinner table:
Does your mom cut a piece of roast and place it on your plate (you get it), or do you do the cutting yourself (you take it).
The result is the same: The piece of roast is now on your plate, - but were you active in the process or not.

You take a bath, but you get a flue - effort vs no effort.

It is more common to use "take" in Denmark, in order to tells that you did some effort yourself.

So the tranlation is more about showing the danish way of thinking of it, than being a natural translation.


I am always amused by the translations you will accept and the ones you won't. Please take the British and American speakers at their word when they tell you one of the translations is wrong. It's OK to make a mistake, even if you are DUOLINGO.

[deactivated user]

    Students undergo higher education or a person studies towards a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD - or holds a degree, or has been awarded a degree.

    A dated way of expressing this, in England, is "reading at XY university", certain segments of a specific social class use this term also these days but if you are not intending to impress (or offend) you refrain from this term.

    The term education is never used in combination with university, so the translation is misleading and needs correction.


    Why universitetSuddannelse and not just universitetuddannelse? Is there some rule how to make these words or as usual in Danish "just remember"?


    There are a few rules, but they are more related to consistency than the words in use.
    There are 4 different interfixes in danish: -s-, -e-, -n-, -- (empty)
    Well "--" isn't actually an interfix , but rather a omission thereof.
    But let's treat it as an interfix for now.

    The interfix depends one the first part of the compound word, and all words with the same first part uses the same interfix.
    e.g "træ-ske" has the interfix "--", so "træ-hus", "træ-skib", "træ-høvl" etc also has the interfix "--".

    words spelled the same way but with different meanings might give different interfixes.
    "fyr" = "fire/dismiss" gives the interfix -e-
    e.g. fyr-e-seddel
    "fyr" = "burn/ignite" gives the interfix --
    e.g. fyr-tøj"
    fyr" = "pine" gives the interfix "-re-" (a variation of the interfix -e-)
    e.g. fyr-re-træ

    Variations/compounds of the first part might give another interfix:
    træ-bord but fyrretræ-s-bord
    and some times not:
    bold-bane and fodbold-bane

    So basically:
    Same word and meaning = same interfix.

    It might seem impossible to remember the interfix for each and every word, but there are several of rules of thumb, e.g.:

    If the first part is a verb the interfix is pretty much always --
    e.g. skyde-bane

    If the first part ends in -tet, -ion, -skab, -hed, and quite a few other endings, it usually gives the interfix -s-
    e.g. realitet-s-test, station-s-bygning, skab-s-spøgelse, skønhed-s-salon


    This is a great reply, thank you! Do you have any examples of words using 'n' as a link?


    There are only a few compound with -n- as interfix.
    I can only think of 3 words:
    øje: øje-n-læge, øje-n-bryn, øje-n-låg etc.
    rose: rose-n-busk, rose-n-saks, rose-n-blad etc.

    The last one is the only word I know that breaks the "Same word and meaning = same interfix."-rule:
    øre: øre-n-tvist, øre-n-lyd, but øre-læge, øre-flip etc.


    Mange tak for dit svar. :)


    When making compound nouns, you often come across those "linking letters". They are connected to the word before, so for instance you'll find that 's' in any compound that begins with universitet: universitetsby (university town), universitetslærer (university teacher), or universitetsbibliotek (university library).

    But that's basically it for the rules. You'll have to remember which word uses which letter. Most nouns don't take any letter, otherwise you'll mostly have 'e' or 's' as a link.

    • jordbær + saft = jordbærsaft - strawberry juice
    • hus + arbejde = husarbejde - house work
    • svin + -e- + kød = svinekød - pork ("pig meat")
    • marked + -s- + plads = markedsplads - market place


    I used ‘has a university education’ - marked wrong.


    having an education means that the education is completed, whereas getting/taking an education means that it is not completed yet, so it makes perfect sense that your sentence isn't accepted.

    Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.