"Det är varmt under täcket."

Translation:It is warm under the duvet.

March 8, 2015



I speak English as my first language and I don't really know what a duvet is.

April 3, 2017


You obviously don't live in England, then! It has become the most common bed cover in recent years. It is padded, normally available in winter and summer thickness, and has a loose cover put over it. It can be very snug - but since it is not tucked in, if you sleep with somebody who pulls the duvet around them, you might end up uncovered and very cold.

April 3, 2017


Same. Looking at google image search, it's what I'd call a doona. I'm Australian.

April 12, 2017


Doona is the less French version of Duvet

April 28, 2017


I think it's known as a comforter for us Americans

September 3, 2018


Is there a general term for a blanket?

March 8, 2015


I'd say that filt is the best 'blanket term', lol.

March 8, 2015


Lingot for a ridiculous pun...

February 4, 2017


Would the quilt be closer to the correct translation for täcket? In the states a duvet is simply the cover that goes over the quilt. Just curious. Thanks!

January 17, 2017


We used to have 'quilt' as the main translation but we've recently changed it into 'duvet' because 'quilt' is so ambiguous that it's hard to understand for many users. If you image google duvet, you will see images that look like täcke but if you image google quilt, you will see things that we call lapptäcke in Swedish.
quilt is obviously still an accepted translation.

January 17, 2017


When I was a child the “täcke” was quilted with beautiful fabrics, often red. Around 1965 my mother bought covers to our woll blankets. And a bit later you could buy quilted “täcken” that were meant to be put in a cover and had no beautiful utter layer. They were called called “istoppstäcken” because you put the “täcke” in a påslakan=cover. A “istoppstäcke” is easy to put in a washing machine, the old type of “täcke” was almost impossible to wash. “Istoppstäcke” today just is called “täcke”.

April 5, 2017


Thanks for your reply Arnauti! I see what you mean with the google search. Here in the states I believe another correct term might be comforter. Here we call a duvet the cover that goes over the comforter to protect it :) The nuances of our languages are so interesting! Thanks again!

January 18, 2017


Learning English at the same time as learning Swedish! Didn't know what a duvet is lol.

October 14, 2017


As an American, I would say it's not something I encounter very often, and it is hardly ever mentioned in conversation, I was surprised to see it being translated at all!

March 1, 2018


"It is warm under the covers" should be correct, no? Covers typically refers to a singular duvet in America at least. But a duvet is a specific type of covers, so I'm not sure.

February 13, 2018


So what is a duvet? Some kind of down quilt?

February 14, 2018


called a "comforter" in the USA

April 22, 2018
Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.