1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Spanish
  4. >
  5. "Los profesores"

"Los profesores"

Translation:The professors

December 14, 2012

This discussion is locked.

Sorted by top post


In Spanish "los profesores" can mean both "the teachers" and "the professors" (which are slightly different in English).

December 14, 2012


Is it synonymous with maestro in that way? Does maestro have any other meanings?

January 28, 2013


They have a near meaning, but are a litlle bit different. Profesor is more adequate to College Teachers, and maestro for school Teachers under college.

March 21, 2013


Just to clarify, by college do you mean colegio/high school or university level? Thanks!

September 22, 2013


JenanK: "college" in English = university level. "colegio" in Spanish = high school level (in Mexico, usually a private academy similar to a private high school in USA.) But, "colegio" definitely does not mean "college" in Mexico. Other countries, I do not know.

September 22, 2013


Hi Rickydito, sorry to be unclear. My question above is to fsampaio saying "professor is more adequate to college teachers". So I want to know if by "college teachers" he perhaps means the ones who teach in colegio or in the college with USA meaning.

I am glad, too, to have your responses, since they are very clear and certainly add to the discussion.

September 26, 2013


College = university in US English. But for UK English, 'college' refers usually to "6th form college", a school you attend from 16-18.

If you were to say college in Britain people would assume you mean a 6th Form and not a university.

March 23, 2015


right, for example: Wouldn't You call a conductor of an orchestra a Maestro?

January 12, 2014


I'm pretty sure Maestro only refers to a teacher.. apparently k-8 as mentioned above. An orchestra conductor is "Un conductor" or "un director de orquesta."

April 23, 2015


Yes, you're right.

Here you can see many others meanings:


But the first meaning is a teacher for children.

June 4, 2015
Learn Spanish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.