First of all, you can watch almost every Turkish TV program online, legally, on the website of the TV channels, for example
of course, you don't find subtitles there.
Many Turkish TV series became very popular internationally in the last years, especially in the middle East but some like "Muhteşem Yüzyıl" have been broadcasted in about 40 countries.
Some youtube channels provide subtitles for some of those popular TV series. Here are links to some:
- Ezel: Crime drama, I think it is a really good one :) on youtube
- Muhteşem Yüzyıl: Magnificient Century, it is about the Ottoman Period, Sultan Suleiman and his wife Hürrem Sultan (Roxalena) on youtube
- Aşk-ı Memnu: Forbidden Love, a romantic drama on youtube
- Kuzey Güney: Drama, on youtube
Personally I like many other Turkish TV series more than the ones listed above, but unfortunately I couldn't find any subtitled versions.
- if you are not into drama, Avrupa Yakası might be for you, it is a funny sitcom. There are no subtitles but experienced learners can give it a try as it is not so complicated. If you watch it, beware of the silly language used by "Selin" though :)
- Hatırla Sevgili, here on youtube is a great TV show, where you can learn a bit about the Turkish political history, although there is also a love story. Only a few episodes are available with subtitles, unfortunately.
- Şaşıfelek Çıkmazı and Yeditepe İstanbul were great TV series, partially dramatic, partially funny, stories of people in a neighborhood. No subtitles :(
- For the beginning, you can also try cartoons. You can find many American cartoons dubbed in Turkish (just google), or watch some Turkish ones like Pepe I am annoyed by this one, but should be good for learners :)
Feel free to recommend other TV shows!
thanks, videos with turkish subtitles are really difficult to find.
short stories with turkish subtitles:
As of Jan 1, 2017, the Turkish shows:
Muhteşem Yüzyıl (Magnificent Century), Ezel, Karadayı, Kaçak, Seyit ve Şura, Mahmut ile Meryem, Çalıkuşu (Lovebird), Limon and Oli (for children), Aşk ve Ceza (Love and Punishment), Son (The End), Bir Çocuk Sevdim (under 'The Girl I Loved'), and Binbir Gece (1001 Nights) are now ALL officially on the US version of Netflix with English subs.
Aşk ve Ceza is an excellent program, well acted and highly addictive! I've picked up a lot of Turkish just from the English subtitles. Bad news: Netflix US has only Season 1 (as 43 episodes approximately 1 hour long), ending when Savaş learns that Yasemin had his baby and didn't tell him. There are 62 episodes (about 2 hours long) to the program, however they are on YouTube, though no subtitles that I can find. Have asked Netflix Dec. 2016 to get the rest of the episodes.