1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Japanese Lesson 19: Possessiv…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Demon-Kiyomi

Japanese Lesson 19: Possessives Part 1

Before we begin.

So we're going to be skipping plurals after all. Besides the obvious reason (Japanese has no plurals) hardly any counters are used in the lesson (not really surprised) so we'll be saving counters for the numbers section. um... the only other plural-ish thing is the use of "-tachi" which we've covered. It translates best to "group of"... and even then it's sort of an optional thing. All the vocabulary words in that section are ones we've already covered. So essentially the lessons would just be a repeat of what we already know... because things like "The horse eats" and "The horses eat" both translate to "Uma wa tabemasu."

<h1>Lesson Time</h1>

We actually already know all the vocabulary words for this lesson. Creating a possessive word in Japanese is more a grammar thing than a vocabulary thing.

The Particle No :

So, "no" as a possessive particle is pretty easy to use. Think of it like the English apostrophe S ( 's ), but not the contraction apostrophe s as in "is"

Like the English " 's " you want to use 「の」(no) after the word that owns the thing.

So your words are going to look like this:

(I/you/he/she/they/it/that/this) の (whatever that thing owns)

Here's the vocabulary list:

His: Kare no: かれ の: 彼の

Her: Kanojo no: かのじょ の: 彼女の

My: Watashi no: わたし の: 私の

Our: Watashitachi no: わたしたち の: 私達の

Your: Anata no: あなた の

Their (male or no determined gender): Karera no: かれら の: 彼らの

Their (female): Kanojo no: かのじょ の: 彼女の

I'm sure many of you are learning languages that have word genders, so let me clarify. You only have to match the gender here with the actual physical things you're talking about... EG: animals and people... you know.. things with gender. Past that don't sweat it.

<h1>Sentences</h1>

His cat
Kare no neko
かれ の ねこ
彼の猫。

My book
Watashi no hon
わたし の ほん。
私の本。

Our cat
Watashitachi no neko.
わたしたち の ねこ。
私達の猫。

Your books.
Anata no hon.
あなた の ほん。
あなたの本。

Their dog eats fish.
Karera no inu wa sakana o tabemasu.
かれら の いぬ は さかな を たべます。
彼らの犬は魚を食べます。

Her horses drink water.
Kanojo no uma wa mizu o nomimasu.
かのじょ の うま は みず を のみます。
彼女の馬は水を飲みます。

Our cat drinks milk.
Watashitachi no neko wa gyuunyuu o nomimasu.
わたしたち の ねこ は ぎゅうにゅう を のみます。
私達の猫は牛乳を飲みます。

Everyone got it? :)

I'll be adding in 2 extra lessons that the reverse tree doesn't have in this section. @_@ so be prepared for extra grammar lessons!

Next Lesson

Previous Lesson

First Lesson

Japanese Lesson Table of Contents

Resources

April 2, 2015

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/forBREAKFEST

Been awhile since I've done anything for the の particle. Didn't know 私達 had the し with a silent い until I used google translate with audio.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CosmoKaiza

Thank you for the lessons ! I love how this language is so easy (no plural, or gender like in french). I am learning the alphabet now and this is really helping me :) !

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.