Help Us Create an Amazing Listening Resource: Add Turkish Videos to LyricsTraining.com
UPDATE Thank you all again for your help! There is now a Turkish badge on the site, which means anyone can now easily search for Turkish videos. This wouldn't have happened without your help!! :)
I’d like your help.
You may or may not have heard of LyricsTraining.com. This site is super helpful as a listening comprehension exercise. You follow along with the lyrics (karaoke style!) of a song, and occasionally you have to type in a missing word. There is also a “multiple choice” option, as well as 4 different difficulty levels.
Unfortunately, if you go there hoping to practice with some Turkish videos, you’ll be sorely disappointed.
There are no published videos in Turkish that I am aware of. There are, however, pending videos that are waiting for review. You can't find these easily through the site unless you know the title. However, if you have a direct link to a video, you can still access it even though it can’t be found publicly on the site.
My goal is to compile a list of Turkish videos that have been added to the site and post it here so that all the Duolingo Turkish Learners can immediately benefit from an amazing listening exercise.
That’s where you come in!
1) It would be super helpful if anyone could add Turkish videos to the site. It’s actually really easy to do! And once you’re done, if you provide the link here, I will edit this post to keep a Master List. The Master List will ensure that we can immediately practice with the videos rather than wait for them to be reviewed and published to the site. But the more times a video is played, the faster it gets reviewed, so it’s definitely a win-win situation!
2) If you can’t help by adding videos, I’d love it if you suggested songs for the rest of us to add to the site.
How to Make Sure Your Lyrics Aren't Already on the Site
Make sure the language bar at the top of the screen shows "Language" instead of, say, "Spanish."
Search for a Turkish artist or song title.
When you get to the page that says "Sorry, no results," check the box that says "Pending to Review." This will show you whether someone has already added the song you're thinking about adding.
How to Add Lyrics
Create a free account at lyricstraining.com.
In the upper-right corner of the screen, there are three dots to the right of your profile picture. Click these to show a drop-down menu, and select My Lyrics
Click Add Lyrics
Use the Search bar to find a video on YouTube. If possible, select the official video of the song.
Fill in a few Details such as Genre, Difficulty, and of course Language. The title and artist should be filled in automatically. Don’t forget to periodically click Save.
Click on the Lyrics tab at the bottom to start working on the lyrics. Go find the lyrics online and simply copy-paste the entire block of lyrics into the first line.
Play the video and click on the space to the left of each line as soon as that line is being sung … So just listen and click! If you mess up, it’s not a big deal … just go back to the right spot in the video and click more accurately.
When you are done, click Preview and SAVE THE LINK OR BOOKMARK THE PAGE!!! This is the link we’ll need to access your video. You can go back to revise your lyrics under "My Lyrics," but make sure the language bar shows "All Languages" at the very top of the screen. Otherwise it will not show you your Turkish vids.
Click again on the Details tab below. On the right-hand side, change the status from Draft to Pending Review. Click Save.
That’s all there is to it! :)
I think that’s it from me … Teşekkürler!
- Bazen - Yaşim Salkım
- Farketmeden - Demet Evgar
- Yalnızlık Senfonisi - Sertab Erener
- Hep Yaşın 19 - M.F.Ö.
- Gülpembe - Barış Manço
- Dudu - TARKAN
- Hatasız Kul Olmaz - TARKAN
- Kadıköy - Ezginin Günlüğü
- Fırtına - Yeni Türkü
- Bir Derdim Var - Mor Ve Ötesi
- Unutulmuyor - Hande Yener
- Hadi O Zaman - Nazan Öncel Feat. Tarkan
- Yoruldum - Sila
- Şımarık - Tarkan
- Kuzu Kuzu - Tarkan
- Bu Sabah Yağmur Var İstanbul'da - MFÖ
- Her şey Biter - Melis Danışmend
- Benzemez Kimse Sana - MÜZEYYEN SENAR & TARKAN
- Ateş Edecek Misin? - Yüzyüzeyken Konuşuruz
- Ah Istanbul - Sezen Aksu
- Düşler Sokağı - Feridun Düzağaç
- Aşk Kaç Beden Giyer - Hadise
- Evlenmeliyiz - Hadise
- Yeminim Var - Demet Akalın
- İyileşmiyor - Gece
- Gidersen - Jehan Barbur
- Sil Baştan - Şebnem Ferah
I'll add some recommendations, in case someone has time:
- a Tarkan song many people know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfk5O4RaifU
- Sezen Aksu, ah İstanbul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6dhes2fRA (most other Sezen Aksu songs are beautiful too, and they usually have very clear lyrics)
- Jehan Babur- gidersen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LCLmHhjwU
- Şebnem Ferah - Sil baştan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_W0X9hakVU
classical songs [These songs might have many outdated words]:
- Duydum ki unutmuşsun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaa5F67oFX8
- Şimdi uzaklardasın https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yE0Q40vU9o
Turkish folk songs: [Warning, these may have some "accents", not really strong ones though, that's also why I haven't added anything from the eastern Blacksea region, those are very difficult to understand for learners)
- [inner Anatolia] Gesi bağları https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aoRw_h_8es
- [Bolu] beyaz giyme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvaRoXNBGgg
- [Rumeli/Balkans] Telgrafın telleri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHKUQJAfeI
- [Ankara] Fidayda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pYrZE7eh0
- [Aegean] Ah bir Ataş ver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_AFS7uDAA
Merhaba, bunlar da benden:
I've prepared a song that is not on the list you guys gave.
It's a song that I particularly like:
Melis Danişmend - Her şey biter:
Some lines might not be perfectly synchronized as this is a pretty new thing for me, but I hope you guys will enjoy it.
Hadise - Aşk kaç beden giyer: http://lyricstraining.com/play/H1St7I4491#!Dkenneth Hadise - Evlenmeliyiz: http://lyricstraining.com/play/HSt7I4V49S#!Dkenneth
(I'll add some other songs later tonight!)
I will try to add simple songs that are like daily normal speech :D
here the first one:
I will update it as I add
However, I think you should give a short explanation on how to add lyrics/video. I just created an account and don't see this option :) I haven't looked around a lot but at least it is not on the homepage so an explanation would help everyone.
and how can you search for videos available in Turkish? Turkish is not one of the languages on the drop-down menu
You got it! I'll add it to the main post. :)
Oh, and as for searching for videos in Turkish, you're not able to do that right now. There haven't been any submitted and approved Turkish videos yet, which is what I'd like to change. ;) But since it apparently takes the site admins a really long time to approve new videos, having a direct link to the videos that people add will let us use them immediately. So we're sort of circumventing the problem by creating a running list of videos that people add. :)
Zeki Moran has some of the clearest pronunciation I've heard in Turkish music, and they're all classics too! I recommend that he be added. If I had more time I would help out with this myself, but right now I'm really busy. I'll check back in a few weeks and see what I can do.
I dare recommend great resource with tons (really tons) of Turkish lyrics (turkish txt's + mp3/youtube's). http://turkish4dummies.com/ Whole Tarkan! And many others! Only restriction: all explanations are in Russian (meanwhile Author perfectly speak English too). But... from other sides it's a good idea - learn 2 languages simultaneously;)