"What else is there?"

Translation:Hvad ellers er der?

April 5, 2015

1 Comment
This discussion is locked.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/tonychan1488

Hi All, For Android Phone User who could not see the "Tips" in PC version. I think it is very useful.

Adverbs

Adverbs in Danish are, like in English, a group consisting of a lot of different words, with numerous functionalities. Adverbs modify or describe verbs, adjectives, other adverbs, or entire sentences.

Word Order Adverbs sometimes behave slightly different in Danish compared to English. This is usually when they are used to describe a verb. Take the example:

vi spiser generelt med vores bedstemor This becomes either we generally eat with our grandmother or we are generally eating with our grandmother. Notice how the verb (eat/eating) and adverb (generally) are on opposite sides of each other in the Danish and English sentence.

When a sentence is started by an adverb describing the verb, then the verb will follow immediately after. To explain this, let us consider this example:

Generelt spiser jeg kød. This example translates literally to Generally eat I meat, however in English I and eat would be switched giving the sentence generally I eat meat or generally I am eating meat.

Declension Remember that adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs. Therefore they do not decline to the noun of the sentence:

Hun spiser muligvis et æble which means she is possibly eating an apple. In fact, adverbs in Danish only decline to express comparative or superlative, just like in English (e.g. small, smaller, smallest). But don't worry about these for now, you'll learn these further down the tree :)

From Adjective to Adverb Just like an adjective in English can be converted to an adverb by adding -ly, so it is possible in Danish, in general by adding -t:

Normal (normal) becomes normalt (normally) Fuldstændig (complete) becomes fuldstændigt (completely). This is not something you need to use actively in this skill, but you might find it interesting to note these converted adjectives.

Now, go and have fun with this skill and see you in the next one!

Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.