Ser vs Estar?
Hi there everyone!
I am having a lot of trouble remembering when to use ser and when to use estar. If anyone knows, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
We use SER when we are speaking about existence, roll, quality, habit, defect, sin,nacionality, ...
• Yo soy el que soy (I AM who I AM).
• Yo soy tu amigo (i am your friend).
• Ella es mi hermana (you are my sister).
• Nosotros somos medicos (we are physicians).
• Eres bueno (you are good).
• Somos tan mentirosos (we are such liers) .
• Ser o no Ser. Esa es la pregunta (To be or not To be. That is the Question) .
We use ESTAR when we are speaking about position, coordinate, location, situation, status, illness, emotion,...
• Estoy en Mexico (I am in Mexico).
• Estoy en la Escuela (i am at school).
• Estas dormida (i am sleeping).
• Estamos despedidos (we are fired).
• Estoy resfriado (i have a cold).
I think that... if you change the tense, you'll know which one it is. Example: "Yo soy español". If you change "soy" (present) to "fui" or "seré" (past / future), you will know that this verb is not "soy" for to be in a place, for example.
"yo estoy en España": In this example, when the verb "estar" is in the phrase, generally specify a location ("in Spain").
Are you understand?
My english is poor... sorry :P
Anyway , if you use bad "ser" or "estar" (verb to be) , will understand to you perfectly in spanish , although it is poorly expressed .