Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/sarahkgunn

Strengthen Skill Feature

Does anyone understand why Duolingo punishes you for trying to strengthen your skills? I have hit a 100 day streak today and as of now strengthening skills gives me 5 or 6 base points. That is it. It was 10 yesterday. And, secondly, it doesn't seem to target your weak areas at all, which I sort of thought was the point of the algorithm! So the skills it lists me as weak on never seem to improve, and I can't progress further in study because I am trying to keep everything up. (Yes, I can resort to individual ones, but often trying to improve within the lesson doesn't strengthen it either, despite getting a PERFECT score doing so.)

So, seems if I don't have time to do multiple lessons on a day, I have to let everything else go rusty and just do new material now. Sorry Duo... but that does NOT seem like an intelligent way to teach a language. You build the base and THEN add to it.

3 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/tu.8zPhLD72zzoZN
tu.8zPhLD72zzoZN

If you buy the timed practice, you pay 10 lingots once and it enables timed practice for all the lessons indefinitely - permanently.
You can earn 20xp if you manage to finish the whole thing in the time allotted, but you will earn at least 1xp for each correct answer.

The regular test will give 10xp the first time you take it, but people were misusing this and leveling up by doing the first lesson over and over and over and never going higher so they decided to make it less lucrative for redoing the same thing. You earn less if the words do not need practice. Wait, if you continue with the same test you can earn as little as 3 points. Unless you pass all the lessons with a perfect score, you will need to practice. The skill section test covers many lessons and you may bring up some of the lessons but not yet all of them and so even with a perfect score, you might still have words to practice. Another option is to go to the words section and review your weak words.

I recommend redoing lessons if you missed a lot of questions. A lesson can be completely perfect with 17 sentences and phrases, so if you answered 26 then there were a lot missed. Yes, I touch up about 3 lessons and do a new one. If I know there is something I don't understand, I redo the entire lesson rather than strengthen the skill set for the entire group of lessons. The big strengthen skill on the main page, is great if you know it all and rarely miss anything and don't spend days away from the program, but otherwise I find it too general to get enough done. It makes sense to use the timed test, the better you know the material the faster you are able to answer the questions. When you are not ready for that, I know that I actually do the lessons multiple times to get all the vocabulary with their randomness the lessons are not given to you in the same order so it stays fresh and there can be words that you did not get the first time that appear this time.

Keep in mind that the xp does not indicate how well you know something. People who are rather fluent and take the course to brush up on a language or help someone else, finish the entire tree with a level 10, So the xp and consequently the levels just indicate an amount of work put in and the goal is to learn the language. They decided that people who review the same lesson every day for years should not have as much xp as people who progress through the tree. You still earn points for practicing, and with the timed practice you have the opportunity to earn more as you get better.

Also, a trick some people use to regild their tree is to start with the later lessons and that will sometimes gild some earlier lessons at the same time. You will be practicing things you learned in the earlier lessons at the same time as the things you learned more recently sometimes. However, this is not for people who did not understand the earlier lessons as creating more errors can make them fade faster too.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/sarahkgunn

Did a test... Doing it on a DIFFERENT device, resulted in 10 points, despite having an error during the lesson. Go figure. So their goal is to make us learn on different devices! Check! :)

3 years ago