1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Her sons are in college."

"Her sons are in college."

Translation:Hendes sønner læser på universitetet.

April 25, 2015



This one confuses me. Would you always use læser when taking about someone being in a school?

[deactivated user]

    First of all, we don't really have colleges here. We just have universities, and you can't live on campus.

    There are several ways of saying this:

    • Hendes sønner læser på universitetet. (are studying)

    • Hendes sønner går på universitetet. (are attending)

    • Hendes sønner studerer på universitetet. (are studying)

    If I were to ask someone about what they are studying (we don't really have majors and minors), I would ask: Hvad læser du?


    It's the same in English: you 'read' at university. i.e. I read biology at university'.


    Yes, except the 'the'. I translate as 'reads at the university'


    It really depends on what English-speaking region you're in. "Reading at university" sounds unfamiliar in many parts of North America, for example. One there might say, "I'm studying biology," or even, "I'm taking philosophy and political science at the university."

    The English translation exercise said merely "Her sons are at college." The closest literal translation is looking for "attending college." Hence why associating the term "reading" doesn't come to mind all that readily to a lot of us.

    So, does that mean there is no direct translation for "attending university" in Danish?


    To an Englishman this is a bit confusing. Universities and colleges are different here. Although I’m not quite sure where art colleges fit in.


    College is not the same as university. My university had several colleges, and in most cases what are called colleges have many courses besides degrees.


    Does this always have to use the definite form of universitet?


    I have translated it correctly but it is marked incorrect.

    Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.