"Universitetet tilføjer en uddannelse næste år."

Translation:The university will be adding an education next year.

April 28, 2015



Uddannelse is the whole degree program. Et kursus is a single course. In Denmark kids select their specific 'uddannelse' right out of gymnasium, which is almost worth the first 2 years of college, although i wouldn't say it's equivalent to the English "sixth form." There is basically almost a lottery system based on final grades. The most popular studies, like law, medicine—in particular 'jordmoder'= midwife, require very high grade averages. Students apply for their favorite uddannelser (maybe 3???) with location: København and Århus as the 2 oldest and biggest, then the 'new' ones, Aalborg, Roskilde, Odense and Esbjerg that i know of, some of which have been combined as one university with several campuses. I left Denmark 16 years ago, and my daughter, who got her 'uddannelse' in Aalborg, is now 42, so things have changed.

September 29, 2016


Thanks for the explanation, this clarified what i was not certain about.

July 22, 2017


The choice of word "education" sounds incredibly wrong in North American English. It should be called a program or a course (depending on the Danish sense of the word, which I am now not quite sure of.)

November 7, 2016


It's not right in English English.

January 19, 2018


The English doesn't make any sense.

January 7, 2017


I'm not quite sure what this sentence is saying... would someone mind explaining?

April 28, 2015


The university will be adding another course option to its selection next year. (for example, previously someone could not major in French, but now they can) In Denmark, different college/university courses are just called 'uddannelser', even though 'uddannelse' is also the term for a general education :)

April 28, 2015


Ah, okay. Does uddannelse refer to singular courses as well as a major/specified track of study? Or just the latter?

April 28, 2015


If by 'courses' you mean those that "typically last one academic term' as they do in the US, then "uddannelse" only refers to major/specified tracks of study. I think a 'course' in the UK means the entire amount of studies required to get a degree.

April 28, 2015


Gotcha, I was indeed referring to the US version of 'course'. Thank you!

April 28, 2015


I think the problem is the English translation rather than the Danish. It means that the university is adding a course but the English translation the course accepts is not English as I know it .

January 19, 2018


In english, a degree would probably be the whole thing, which contains electives or courses in a certain subject. Courses can be core courses (which are mandatory) or electives (which are optional). So the english translation is incorrect, it should be degree or course. Although course would normally refer to a single subject or elective.

June 14, 2017


See, in the UK, the whole degree programme is the course which in turn is made up of modules.

January 19, 2018


Course makes more sense on English

May 30, 2017


So the English translation for this should read, " The university will be adding an education degree next year." - yes? This is not what Duo says.

August 9, 2018


No, an education degree would be a teaching qualification. I think it should be a "degree course" but as it is it makes no sense.

February 19, 2019


It can also be translated as The university adds ... etc. or 'is adding ...' English can also use the present as an implied future tense.

April 5, 2019


Incorrect English. Makes no sense. Add a course etc would be correct.

April 16, 2019
Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.