CHALLENGE your friends! Do you accept, decline, or have a counter offer? Reward for winning: Lingots
Let's have challenges!
Here is how it would work: You propose a challenge to a friend. Let's say you want to have a race with your friend to see who can get to 5000 total skill points first. Then the friend has an option to either
- counter offer
your proposal. Say the friend thinks 5000 points is too many but still wants to have a competition. Then the friend could counter offer and request 4000 points if wanted.
This would show in your stream, and you would get a notification when a proposal was made to you. Also, to make this even more fun, if you win the challenge there could be a reward of lingots!
NOTE: I know people have discussed this before, but I have only seen it in a few comments, so I thought I could start a discussion :)
Great idea! Instead of more lingots being added into circulation, the participants could wager lingots, adding them to a pool. Whoever wins gets ALL the lingots from the pool. Here's how I think it could work:
- Somebody posts the proposal to some of his friends. (He chooses which friends to propose to.)
- They either accept or decline.
- If somebody accepts, he has to wager a certain amount, but it must be more than whatever the last wager was.
- If he's the first person to wager, he can choose whatever amount he wants.
- Note that as each person wagers, the minimum amount goes higher and higher... so it pays to be the first person to wager!
- They pool their wagers. The wagers are not the same.
- The game begins!
- When somebody wins, they get all the lingots that were pooled.
Almost like gambling, except it's possible to win, and there is no randomness and no guessing.
This option would be ok if there were only adults on Duolingo. Like you said it is almost like gambling.
I like clarabouch's initial idea more (without wagering lingots). if Duolingo accepts "challanges" I recommend implementing an element of uncertainty. When the challenge starts user's information becomes private until the conclusion of the challenge. This could motivate people to try even harder but it would probably be difficult to implement
What do you think about weekly and monthly TOURNAMENTS (everyone can choose to participate) with prizes for 1. 2. and 3. place??
There could be language specific tournaments and general Duolingo tournaments.
Depending on the number of users participating prizes could be given to first 10 or 20 users. Participation fee could be around 5 lingots. One of the problems is where to put the leaderboard. (tournament tab ? )
- IMMERSION: who translated the most sentences.
- LESSONS: who can earn more points doing only lessons (doesn't matter which type non timed or timed practice, new lessons, old lessons)
- TIMED PRACTICE: who can earn the most points (only count points from timed practice)
GREAT IDEA. THE WINNER SHOULD GET AROUND 100 LINGOTS AND THE OTHER PEOPLE LESS. THE TOURNAMENT TAB CAN GO RIGHT NEXT TO THE DISCUSSION TAB. THERE COULD BE MORE CATEGORIES FOR DIFFERENT LANGUAGES, AND MORE CATEGORIES FOR EACH CATEGORY, SUCH A S BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE AND, MASTER. AMAZING IDEA