https://www.duolingo.com/profile/daKanga

Infinitive ( verbs ) & à / de

Link : learning loom | Prev: time| Skill | Next : adverbs 1 | note: click on blue text for audio or links. | check out Tips and Notes on the skill

• acheter (prep.à) : to buy ; | conjugation | collins

acheter only uses the pattern of the ( " conjugated verb for acheter " + à + " an different infinitive verb " ) ONLY when it is referring to the action of drinking or eating. i.e. when followed by verbs like boire, manger and synonyms like grignoter, bouffer(very fam.), ... Pourrais-tu acheter à manger s'il te plaît? → Could you buy something to eat please?

• aimer (semi-auxiliary verb) : to love | conjugation | collins
  • aller (semi-auxiliary verb) : to go | conjugation | collins

Je vais travailler : I'm going to work.

• appeler (prep.à) : to call | conjugation | collins
  • apporter (semi-auxiliary verb) : to bring | conjugation | collins
  • apprendre (prep à) : to learn | conjugation | collins
  • avoir (prep.à) : to have | conjugation | collins
  • bouillir : to boil | conjugation | collins
  • chercher (prep.à) : to look for | conjugation
  • choisir (prep de) : to choose : to choose to .. | conjugation | collins
  • comprendre : to understand | conjugation | collins
  • couper : to cut : to cut in ... | conjugation | collins
  • déjeuner : lunch | note: this can be an intransitive verb , or a masculine noun. Check here for another good link to understand : intransitive verbs
  • détester (no prep) : to hate
  • devoir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to have to, must
  • dîner : dinner | note: this can be an intransitive verb, or a masculine noun.
  • difficile (adjective) (Difficile à/de) : difficult | collins

Difficile à dire. : Difficult to say | C'est difficile de trouver : It is difficult to find. | According to word forum it is quite variable whether to use à or de with defficile.

• dire : to say, to tell | conjugation | collins
  • donner : to give | conjugation | collins
  • dormir : to sleep | conjugation | collins
  • écrire : to write : to write about | conjugation | collins
  • espérer (semi-auxiliary verb) : to hope
  • être (prep.à) : to have | conjugation | collins
  • faire (semi-auxiliary verb) : to do | often appears as infinitif/base verbal before another infinitif/base verbal to indicate that the subject causes something to happen - instead of performing it. | conjugation
  • faillir (semi-auxiliary verb) : something almost happened.
  • falloir (semi-auxiliary verb) : it is necessary, must have

il faut : it is necessary

• goûter (prep à) : to taste. Goûter is also the name of a small snack often given to children after school, and before the evening meal is served. Further conjugations at french about . This can be a masculine noun, or a verb.
  • griller (prep de) : to toast
  • inviter (prep.à) : to invite
  • jouer (prep à/de): to play | conjugation | collins

jouer à inf. : to play a game or sport. | jouer de inf. : to play an instrument.

• laiser (semi-auxiliary verb) : to allow, to leave
  • lire : to read ; lire dans .. : to read in .. | conjugation | collins
  • manquer (semi-auxiliary verb) : (followed by optional de) indicates that something was about to happen or nearly happened
  • marcher : to walk | conjugation | collins
  • paraître (semi-auxiliary verb) : to appear/seem to
  • montrer : to show
  • parler (prep à/de) : to speak ; parler à : to talk to ; parler de : to talk about | conjugation | collins
  • partir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to leave in order to, to go to
  • passer (semi-auxiliary verb) : to call/drop in on, call for, to go to.
  • penser(semi-auxiliary verb) : to think, to believe | penser à : to think about (imagine) | penser de : to think about (opinion) | conjugation | collins

(prep à) : to thing of/ about | (prepde) : to have an opinion about

• péréfrer (semi-auxiliary verb) : to prefer
  • porter : to carry, to take, to wear
  • pouvoir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to be able, can | can be a "semi-auxiliary verb" | conjugation | collins

• prendre (prep de) : to take | conjugation | collins

• regarder : to look | conjugation | collins
  • savoir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to know (how) | can be a "semi-auxiliary verb" | conjugation | collins
  • sembler (semi-auxiliary verb) : to seem/appear to
  • sortir de (informal) (semi-auxiliary verb) : to have just done something.
  • vendre : to sell | conjugation | collins
  • venir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to come | venir à : to happen to | venir de : to have just (done something) | venir par (la côte) : to come along/by (the coast) | conjugation | collins
  • vider : to empty
  • voir : to see | can be a "semi-auxiliary verb"(no prep) | conjugation | collins
  • vouloir (semi-auxiliary verb) : to want/wish | can be a "semi-auxiliary verb" | conjugate

• il vaut mieux (semi auxiliary verb) : it is better. ( valoir : to hold, apply )

( note. if you hold down the " ctrl " button and " left click " it will open up the related link/audio in a separate tab on your browser. Thus keeping this one open here.)

• Semi auxiliary verbs ref

they are conjugated - according to (je, tu, il, etc) , however if they have a verb following them is used in its infinitif form.
    J'aime dormir. : I like to sleep.

NOTE: this thread is under substantial re-construction - and various information is incomplete and confusing and may not be correct. I am trying to sort this out, and working out the information that can help me successfully complete this skill - and also learn some more french ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ I know this sounds confusing - but I have - since only half putting this thread together - found it easier and quite fun to do the sentences in the skill. So do not lose heart ! Learning by experience is also a good way to learn ^̮^. I am also developing another thread about infinitives - because there is a lot to learn. But if in doubt - just do skill-sentence tests. You learn a lot from them :) To check on the development ... here

Abbreviations: (prep) if a preposition is required, it tends to use a certain preposition as noted. - ie à, de

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/8776057

May 9, 2015

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Nokurkan

Hello lindakanga :)

You just made a little mistake. The translation of to provide is pourvoir and pouvoir means can.

Je ne peux pas faire ça. → I cannot do that.

May 9, 2015

Thank you so much ! I am cleaning out my homework notes 'draw'. Then once I have all the skeletons out there - I need to go back through and standardize things to a greater extent - and find better sound files, and embellish all the notes. Then I can move on again. I will be so relieved when I get this lot of gaps filled in. ! Thanks for your help.

May 9, 2015

• An interesting discussion on this is developing at [https://www.duolingo.com/comment/8587659).
  • also at : [https://www.duolingo.com/comment/307798]
    in relation to a question : "No preposition?.. why? "
    gnedge said: " I suspect that like many French expressions, we have to stop trying to literally translate into English and learn that sometimes the prepositions are just understood, remembering that French is uniquely French and not a translation of English :) "
May 13, 2015
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.