1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Italian
  4. >
  5. "Il bicchiere"

"Il bicchiere"

Translation:The glass

December 24, 2012



From what I understand, a tazza is more like a coffee cup and il bicciere a drink glass. Unfortunately, their picture is one of those tall tea/coffee mugs that confuses the difference between these two words.


This is messed up. Bicchiere refers to a glass you use at the dinner table or whatever. Tazza is a cup you use for tea. At least it is in the north west of Italy.


It's very unhelpful to give the meaning (drinking) glass and then not accept "drinking glass" as an answer...


The parentheses are there because they want you to use the word for a drinking glass, rather than, for example, window glass. You don't translate the words inside the parentheses


They are in brackets


I said morgan freeman and it accepted it.


I asnwered "drinking glass" and it was counted wrong, despite having earlier been given the definition of bicchiere as drinking glass.


They are in brackets


doesn't tazza mean cup?


Both "tazza" and "bicchiere" can be translated as cup. In my (limited) experience, "tazza" usually refers to heavier, sturdier drinkware, like what you would use to serve hot beverages. "Tazza" probably covers everything English speakers would call a "mug," and then some.


Glass is bicchiere and cup is tazzo they don't really interchange.


In addition to "the glass" I was told that I should have also chosen "the cup" for "il bicchiere". Never heard that before in all my years of exposure to Italian. Is there a native Italian out there.


I think it can also be la coppa but I think la tazza sounds better.


Voice is not clear.


No way you can tell from the sound whether this is singular or plural.


Could goblet or beaker also be correct?


Can this also mean glass other than for drinking? Such as "the window is made of glass"?


No, it is only a drinking glass.


the cup is tazza not bichierre


It's saying glass is bichierre and the cup is tazza


I notice that "tazza" and "bicchiere" can both mean "cup". I thought "bicchiere" is a drinking glass only.


Yu're right! The tazza has an hemispherical form like a cup of tea, as a rule it's made of ceramic .


Is there a pronunciation key that anyone knows of on the internet. I'm curious about letter like the 'r' sounding like an English 'd' at times and the 'gi' sounding like a 'j.' I know there are more but i feel it would help me better read Italian to memorize some of these patterns.


Try forvo.com for examples by native speakers.


Sorry for the late reply, but I suppose it's like in Portuguese: You should roll the R when it's between vowels, and the letter G sounds like J before E and I.


This confused me. In the beginning for "il bicchiere" it shows a pictures of a cup, which is "la tazza", but then here it says that it's a glass. Is that correct? Because when I put in that it's a cup it says that is it also correct.


Just pointing out the fact that when they introduced the picture the translation THEY gave was The (drinking) glass. So if you are going to be giving that translation you should not mark wrong the answer: The drinking glass.


bicchiere is defined as a drinking glass


Another complaint that "the drinking glass" is marked incorrect when it is given as the definition earlier in the lesson.

Or should I have used brackets?!


I can't get the difference between "a" and "the" right


Definite articles, "the"

Masculine - il (used with singular masculine nouns starting with a consonant. Plural is 'i')

<pre> - l' (used for masculine singular starting with a vowel. Plural is 'gli') - lo (used for exceptional masculine singular nouns i.e nouns starting with s+ a consonant, ps, pn, z, x, y, gn. Plural 'gli') </pre>

Feminine - la (used for singular feminine nouns starting with a consonant. Plural 'le')

<pre> - l' (used for singular feminine nouns starting with a vowel. Plural 'le') </pre>

Indefinite articles 'a/an'

Masculine - un (used for singular masculine nouns starting with a vowel plural degli or consonant. Plural 'dei')

<pre> - uno (is used with the singular exceptional masculine nouns as listed above. Plural is 'degli') </pre>

Feminine - una (used for feminine singular nouns starting with a consonant. Plural 'delle')

<pre> - un' (used for singular feminine nouns starting with a vowel. Plural 'delle') </pre>

I hope this helps Fiona.


This is very helpful. God bless.


For colazione it uses the article "la" which lead me to believe nouns ending in "e" are feminine. Here it has "il" for a bin ending in "e" can someone explain how to know?


You can't just "know". You simply have to memorize the grammatical sex of the words that end in "e".


I wrote "drinking glass", why is that wrong?


Because it just says "glass". It doesn't say drinking glass, juice glass, wine glass, beer glass, etc.


I placed 3rd in obsidian league why am i still doing it? I should be in diamond


So tazza is cup and bicchiere is glass?


Italian CE and CI sounds like english CH (cheese), but italian CH sounds like english K?


I wrote "The beaker". It was correct too!


"The drinking glass isn't accepted." Can someone please explain? July 2020

Related Discussions

Learn Italian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.