1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Min mor laver mad på en koge…

"Min mor laver mad en kogeplade."

Translation:My mother cooks food on a burner.

May 25, 2015



What is a burner/kogeplade?

[deactivated user]

    The round (often red when turned on) plates on top of your stove where you put your pots and pans to boil/roast stuff. They can also be separate from a stove.


    Also known as a "hob" in British English, which is accepted (and if not then please report it) and I have now added to the hints for clarity for those not familiar with the term "burner"

    [deactivated user]

      Does "hob" refer to the entire stovetop or to a single one of the (often four) rings?

      How would you fill the gap in this sentence? "On the stovetop, you can cook food on four ____ at once."

      That would be "kogeplader" in Danish: "På komfurpladen kan man lave mad på fire kogeplader på én gang."


      Here (in New Zealand) we would refer to the single ring on an electric stove as an element. We'd also use hotplate for a small portable electric device. Burner would just be used for gas stoves - but people also talk about 'gas rings'.


      I would generally say "On the cooker/stove, you can cook on four hobs at once"


      As xneb says, the (four) rings are called hobs.

      But I think I would also call the whole top of the oven a hob. If I was looking to move into a new house I might ask if it had a gas or electric hob, meaning the whole thing rather than one ring. I don't know if it's strictly speaking correct to do so, but I can't think of anything else to call it. I wouldn't call it a stovetop, which sounds American. Anyway to me a stove is an old-fashioned wood-burning thing for heating a room, not a kitchen appliance.

      Interestingly, when I googled hob and burner I found a well-known British shop that calls the top of the oven a hob and the ring a burner, which seems like a confused muddle of UK and US!


      In England, one would put saucepans on a hob. A gas hob would contain 4 or so burners but an electric hob ( which could be halogen or induction, or just basic electric) has hotplates.


      As an American I say I cook things on the 'stove' when I mean cooking on a burner. I only hear people use the word 'burner' when the fact that the person is cooking on the stove is already established, otherwise they just say 'stove'. So I wonder if it's also correct to use 'stove' in this situation, at least in American English.


      The sentence is obviously meant to contain the word "stove/burner" so that wouldn't make sense. But then again, is ist not very natural...

      • 2536

      Americans would say burner, but it also s=looks as if it might mean a "hotplate", which is a single burner not attached to a stove. Something a student might have in a dorm room.


      For me, neither "hob" nor "burner" is a typical term. I would call it a hotplate. Australian here.


      Isn't "cooks food" redundant? What else would you cook? My intuition is to say "...cooks on a hob"


      Agree that "cooks food" is redundant and unnatural.


      Well not in necessarily in a Danish translation: Cooks food Laver mad

      But then again; to cook = at lave mad. Personally i always add, dinner/breakfast/lunch/supper etc. after cook.


      Can 'stove' also be used?


      Is "cooks food" accepted? "prepares food" isn't...


      I would say element to mean burner/hob (Canadian)


      A comment on the voice reading the sentence, it has annoyed me before but this sentence is just the worst yet, it doesn't do a good job reading it at all, google translate does a better job of actually sounding like danish.


      And it pronounces "laver" wrong.


      Why is "My mother prepares food on a burner" not accepted?


      I might call element a 'ring' .


      I would also say 'hotplate'.

      Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.