"Jeg kan ikke lide disse grydelapper."

Translation:I do not like these pot holders.

May 25, 2015

This discussion is locked.


I've never heard potholder before. I searched grydelapper on google images and it looks what I would call oven gloves.


Potholder is a very common item in the UK. An oven glove is a glove, but a pot holder is a square piece of material, approx. 15x15 cm. See this link: http://www.amazon.com/b?node=678537011


Sorry, it might be a common item, but it's not a common name - I've never heard the name before and I've been cooking (in the UK) for over 40 years. Amazon.com is a US site - amazon.co.uk is the UK equivalent.


Perhaps you're right. I have tried to find reference to this in the Oxford dictionary, and other sources; but to no avail. I could only find U.S.A. references. Strangely enough though, this is a term which was used in my home in the UK, and among the people we knew. Another term which was used was "kettle holder". It could have been American influence - what do I know! As a point of interest, what did you call "pot holders" otherwise?


Hi - Oven gloves or Oven cloth. Pot holder is probably an American term (this site prefers American English anyway), but might now have come into usage in the UK.


Ah yes - oven cloth. I remember that we used that term too; but the oven gloves we used were more like mittens. "Kært barn har mange navne".


Potholder is one word. It wouldn't let me report it in the lesson, so I'm reporting it here.


Where I live they are called hot pot holders, not potholders. hot pot holders should be accepted. They keep you from burning your hands on hot pots and are pieces of cloth or knitted squares or circles. They look like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-byfAWmYKLak/T2edfXoBcpI/AAAAAAAAEFQ/Lcmj_uMnbik/s1600/potholder5P.png Often they are knitted and look like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fe/10/e1/fe10e14d111f0f4fcedc84be71c52001--potholders-dishcloth.jpg or sometimes people get fancy like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ae/fb/b7/aefbb739734419b456c1d35af67b98db.jpg Look up hot pot holder in google and you'll see tons of them. Hot pot holder is a common word here, but potholder is not, as you don't need them unless the pot is hot. Hope this helps.


Learning all the important words here...


I agree, absolutely essential vocab!


If you don't like my pot holder, I'll have to learn to live with your disappointment while I watch you hold your own pot. Just don't drop any on my carpet.

Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.