Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/adamyoung97

Spanish Subjunctive Guide

adamyoung97

The subjunctive (El subjuntivo) can be tricky to grasp for English speakers, as it's rare in our language. I'm putting this guide together in the hopes that it will help those who struggle with this aspect of Spanish.

What is the subjunctive?

The subjunctive is a verb mood. What does that mean? A verb mood, of which there are four, shows the meaning behind a verb, not the time at which it occurred - the subjunctive a tense. The four verb moods which exist are the indicative, the conditional, the subjunctive, and the jussive. The indicative is the easier form which is learnt first - used for things like facts or definite situations, like “He was here”. The conditional is used for situations which are dependent on other situations to be able to occur, like “I would go, if I had the time“. The jussive is the form used for the “Let's ...“ and imperative forms of the verb, like “Let's eat” and “Eat!”. The subjunctive, however, is used in situations of doubt, desire, opinion, and others, which will be shown later.

How to conjugate the subjunctive - Present Tense

To conjugate the subjunctive in the present tense, take the yo form of the verb, remove the final -o, then add the personal endings:

So, let's look at these endings on some verbs:

Due to orthographical rules in Spanish, the spelling of some verbs changes when they are put into the subjunctive. Here are the endings that change, with an infinite and the yo form of the subjunctive as an example:

There are unfortunately irregular verbs in the subjunctive. Some of these are:

• Ser: Se- (For example, “Yo sea“, “Ellos sean“)
  • Estar: Est-; For all persons except nosotros, the final -e becomes -é (For example, “Tú estés“, “Nosotros estemos“)
  • Dar: D-; For yo & él/ella, the final -e becomes -é (For example, “Yo dé“, “Nosotras demos“)
  • Saber: Sep- (For example, “Tú sepas“, “Ellas sepan“)
  • Haber: Hay- (For example, “Ella haya“, “Vosotras hayáis“)

Also, verbs which have a different conjugation for nosotros/nosotras and vosotros/vosotras keep these as the stem for the subjunctive. For example, the verb “Poder“ is conjugated in the indicative as follows:

• Yo puedo
  • Tú puedes
  • Él/Ella puede
  • Nosotros/Nosotras podemos
  • Vosotros/Vosotras podéis
  • Ellos/Ellas pueden

Therefore, the conjugation of “Poder“ in the subjunctive is:

• Yo pueda
  • Tú puedas
  • Él/Ella pueda
  • Nosotros/Nosotras podamos
  • Vosotros/Vosotras podáis
  • Ellos/Ellas puedan

How the present subjunctive is used

The use of the present subjunctive can be hard to get the hang of at first, as it appears so seldom in English (an example being “I suggest that he go“). If you've already encountered the subjunctive in other languages like Italian, it will be a bit easier, as many of the “subjunctive phrases” will carry over to Spanish. Likewise, getting familiar with the subjunctive in Spanish first will help when it comes to using it in other languages.

1. Doubt

If there is doubt within a situation, the subjunctive is used. For example, phrases like “No creo que...“ (I don't believe that...), “Dudo que...“ (I doubt that...), “No estoy seguro de que...“ (I'm not sure that...) all use the subjunctive. Remember that any phrases where there isn't doubt don't use the subjunctive, for example “Creo que...“ (I think that...) and “No dudo que...“ (I don't doubt that...). Let's look at some example sentences - words in Italics are “subjunctive phrases“, and words in Bold are verbs in the subjunctive.

• No creo que el japonés sea un idioma fácil - I don't think Japanese is an easy language
  • No estoy seguro de que mi hermano pueda venir - I'm not sure that my brother can come
  • Dudo que los encontremos aquí - I doubt we'll find them here

And here are these “subjunctive phrases“ flipped, to show them with the indicative:

• Creo que el japonés es un idioma fácil - I think Japanese is an easy language
  • Estoy seguro de que mi hermano puede venir - I'm sure that my brother can come
  • No dudo que los encontramos aquí - I don't doubt we'll find them here

2. Wishes/Orders

If there is a wish or an order, something which may not end up happening, the subjunctive is used. Some phrases which require the subjunctive are “Quiero que...“ (I want (that)...), “Espero que...“ (I hope (that)...), and “Insisto que...“ (I insist (that)...). Let's look at some example sentences of this use:

• ¿Quieres que yo vaya contigo? - Do you want me to go with you?
  • Las reglas insisten en que no se hable - The rules insist you don't talk
  • Esperan que el viaje sea corto - They hope the journey is short

3. Impersonal statements

Statements like “Es bueno que...“ (It's good that...), “Es fácil que...“ (It's likely that...), and “Es improbable que...“ (It's unlikely that...) use the subjunctive. “Es“ can be replaced with “Parece“ for the same effect. However, remember that the subjunctive is used where there is uncertainty - so statements like “Es cierto que...“ (It's certain that...) wouldn't be used with the subjunctive. Also, if you use “Me parece que...“ (It seems to me that...), the subjunctive isn't used, as it's no longer impersonal. Here are some example phrases:

• Es fácil que se casen - It's likely they'll get married
  • Parece extraño que la gente lo ignore - It seems weird that people ignore it
  • Es necesario que los estudiantes entiendan - It's necessary that the students understand

Here is a list of some phrases which use the subjunctive:

4. Direct effect

If an action affects you directly (e.g. “I don't like that...“), the subjunctive is used. Some phrases which use the subjunctive in this way are “Me molesta...“ (It bothers me that...), “Me gusta que...“ (I like that...), and “Me entristece que...“ (It upsets me that...). Some examples are:

• No me gusta que los profesores nos den tantos deberes - I don't like that the teachers give us so much homework
  • Me molesta que no hagas nada - It bothers me that you don't do anything
  • Me entristece que alguna gente no tenga casa - It upsets me that some people don't have a house

5. Fixed expressions

Some fixed expressions use the subjunctive. Some examples of such expressions are “Aunque...“ (Even though...), “No obstante que...“ (Despite...), and “A menos que...“ (Unless...). Here are some examples:

• Aunque sepa los riesgos, todavía lo hace - Even though he knows the risks he still does it
  • Vamos al cine no obstante que cueste tanto - We go to the cinema despite the fact that it costs so much
  • A menos que llueva, iremos al parque - Unless it rains we'll go to the park
  • Diré «Adiós» a mi amigo antes de que se vaya - I'll say “Goodbye“ to my friend before he leaves

6a. Commands - Tú & Vosotros/Vosotras

When saying a negative command to someone you address as “tú“ in Spanish, the form of the present subjunctive is used:

• ¡No olvides tu equipaje! - Don't forget your baggage!
  • ¡No uses el teléfono mientras conduces! - Don't use your phone while driving!

In the same way, negative commands said to a group you would address as “vosotros“/“vosotras“ use the vosotros/vosotras form of the present subjunctive:

• ¡No me ignoréis! - Don't ignore me!
  • ¡No comáis todo! - Don't eat everything!

6b. Commands - Usted & Ustedes

For commands said to someone you address as “usted“ (both positive and negative), the él/ella form of the present subjunctive is used:

• Por favor hable más lentamente - Please speak slower
  • Verifique el número en la tarjeta - Check the number on the card
  • ¡No corra! - Do not run!
  • No toque nada - Do not touch anything

Likewise, commands to a group you address as “ustedes“ use the ellos/ellas form of the present subjunctive:

• Vengan aquí - Come here
  • Miren la pantalla - Look at the screen
  • Por favor no fumen en el edificio - Please do not smoke in the building
  • No abran las ventanas - Do not open the windows

7. Que...

The last use of the subjunctive is starting a sentence or clause with “Que“, then using the subjunctive. This is used to show desires and thoughts. For example:

• ¡Que nadie me distraiga! - No one distract me!
  • Él no ha comido nada. ¿Que no tenga hambre? - He didn't eat anything. Could it be that he's not hungry?
<h1>How to conjugate the subjunctive - Imperfect Tense</h1>

The subjunctive also directly exists in the imperfect tense. To conjugate it, take the ellos/ellas form of the verb in the preterite tense and then remove the -ron. There are then two sets of endings which can be added interchangeably:

Note that for nosotros/nosotras, an acute accent is placed on the final vowel before the suffix.

Here are the first three verbs we looked at for the present subjunctive with both sets of endings:

How the imperfect subjunctive is used

The imperfect subjunctive is used, for the most part, in the same cases as the present subjunctive, except for the fact that the preceding phrases are either in the conditional or imperfect tenses. So while the present subjunctive would be used with “Quiero que...“ (I want (that)...), the imperfect subjunctive would be used with “Me gustaría que...“ (I would like (that)..) and “Quería que...“ (I wanted (that)...). This carries across for all aspects:

• No pensé que la fiesta terminase a las veintitrés - I didn't think the party finished at eleven
  • Queríamos que todos pudieran venir - We wanted everyone to be able to come
  • Sería aconsejable que no viajaseis en avión - It would be advisable that you not travel by plane
  • Me gustaría que tú me ayudaras - I'd like you to help me

However, if a structure like the “impersonal statements“ is used to refer back to a past event, this will remain in the present tense:

• Es malo que nadie te dijese la verdad - It's bad that no one told you the truth
  • Dudo que le gustara - I doubt he liked it

Si + Conditional

Unique to the imperfect subjunctive is the “Si + Conditional“ sentence. This is used to state hypothetical actions - which is why the subjunctive is used. This type of sentence is the only sentence where the subjunctive is still fairly identifiable in English - “If I were rich, I'd buy a mansion“. This type of sentence works exactly the same in Spanish:

• Si pudieras ir a cualquier sitio, ¿adónde irías? - If you could go anywhere, where would you go?

The sentence structure can also be flipped, starting with the conditional clause and then using the imperfect subjunctive. For example:

• Haría mis deberes si los entendiese - I would do my homework if I understood it

Como si...

“Como si“ is the translation of “As if“ in Spanish, which always uses the imperfect subjunctive. It works in the exact same ways as in English:

• Es como si no le importara - It's as if it didn't matter to him
  • ¡Como si no me gustase el chocolate! - As if I didn't like chocolate!

Ojalá

“Ojalá“ comes from “Oh Allah“, and means “If only“ or “I wish“. It uses the imperfect subjunctive:

• ¡Ojalá lo supieras! - If only you knew!
  • Ojalá tuviera más tiempo - If only I had more time

Perfect and Pluperfect Subjunctive

The perfect and pluperfect subjunctive tenses also exist in Spanish. These are formed by either using the present subjunctive of Haber + Past Participle, or the imperfect subjunctive of Haber + Past Participle. For example:

• Es improbable que hayan tenido éxito - It's unlikely that they've succeeded
  • Si hubiéramos sacado mejores notas, habríamos ido a la universidad - If we'd gotten better grades, we would have gone to university

I hope this helps!/¡Espero que esto ayude!

Check out my other subjunctive guides!

Italian Subjunctive Guide
Portuguese Subjunctive Guide
3 years ago

507 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Nadya222
Nadya222

FANTASTIC! You really put a lot into this!

I do "take issue with" one seemingly insignificant thing, though. In the Spanish language (at least historically-speaking), one NEVER says the equivalent of "Do you want me to come with you?" (Quieres que yo venga contigo?)

That is simply incorrect. The verb that must be used is not "come" but "go":

"Do you want me to GO with you?" (Quieres que yo vaya contigo?)

The question that one has to focus on, in this situation, is "the direction of travel". IF someone else is "coming to your party" (for example), the direction of travel is towards you, yourself, as the "lst person who is speaking". In other words, "towards ME": the person or people are COMING TO WHERE I AM.

If you and another person are intending to venture out together, then you are not COMING TOWARDS YOURSELF but "GOING AWAY (from where you are)", instead.

The archetype (short dialog) for this type of reality check is the following:

JUANITA: "Ven a la fiesta, María!" (COME to the party, Mary)

MARÍA: "Allá VOY." (I'm coming!).... which is actually "I'm GOING [there]."

The direct implication is that Juanita wants Mary to "COME to where I am"; and, Mary answers that she is GOING to where Juanita is.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Ok, I'll change it :) Thanks for the heads up!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vietnam
vietnam

But there are also situations where it would be correct to say "come." For example, if Juanita is visiting María in her home one evening and María says "tomorrow I have to come straight home after work." And Juanita says "Do you want me to come with you?" So, in any situation where you are talking about coming back to where you are, then you would use the word "come".

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vietnam
vietnam

On a separate note, (just for interest), while I agree with your comment about "come to where I am" and go to other places, this is actually a Western concept. If you go to a country like Vietnam you will discover that you always "COME home" and GO everywhere else, irrespective of where you are. So if you are at a party and someone gets up to leave, you might ask "Where are you going?", and they might reply "I'm coming home!" It sounds wrong in English (and other Western languages), but that is the construction in Vietnamese.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Clemente-Pablo

I can think of one time the "I'm coming home!" would be used and make sense in English. If you are talking to someone who is at your house and they say: What are you doing? You could answer: "I'm coming home!" That makes complete sense and is accurate English. In the case you pointed to in your post (vietnam), In the language you are referring to, you know what is accurate and what makes sense. This is something unusual to an American because we don't have any such usage in our language for this.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/StephenClo3

I would cheat and say "I'm returning home"! Because yo soy un diablo.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DAO_2468

This can be said of Tagalog too, wherever they are they "come" home.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/jfGor
jfGor

I have to disagree. I would personally say I have to go straight home. People probably do say that but not where I am from. The same with do you want me to come with you. I would say do you want me to go with you. Perhaps there are some English speaking regions that do use what you have suggested but just not where I live.

3 years ago

Nadya222

And, just as important as that, the way you, yourself, say it in English is the way they customarily also say things, in Spanish. Like "vietnam" said, it may well be different, in the way things are said, in the Vietnamese language. :)

3 years ago

jfgordy: What does it mean if I click on the little arrow to change a 0 to a 1? I was thinking it is kind of like a like on Facebook. Anyway, that is what I have done for your comment and some others like Nadya222, because she seems to know a lot of stuff and it is helpful. By the way jfgordy, you are doing rather well if you are a beginner.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/marianajulieta1

It becomes more confusing...

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SarahNutt0

Wow that explains one of the things that has always slightly confused me when I am in Spain; which why people say "me voy" as they go towards someone who has asked them to " ven aqui " and why you always hear waiters saying "me voy" in restaurants. Thank you so much

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/_rxlinguist
_rxlinguist

Clear and precise. Thank you for pointing out that distinction I had not yet made. Well said.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/marcoiris1
marcoiris1

I'd like to add that usage of -ra or -se imperfect subjunctive varies by region. For example, in Mexico, "-ra" is heavily preferred, and in spoken usage you almost exclusively see "-ra". "Antes de que vinieses" is almost unheard of.

In fact, "-ra" predominates worldwide. From my experience, "-se" is almost unused in speech outside of Spain and Puerto Rico. Apparently, in some parts of Castille, both are actually used with slightly different meanings, I believe with "-se" expressing a greater shade of doubt or uncertainty.

I would advise learners to focus on learning "-ra" forms for speaking and writing, and to be aware of "-se" forms as possible variants. If you exclusively use "-se", you will sound stuffy, formal and antiquated to many, if not most, Spanish speakers worldwide. If you are planning on living in Castille or somewhere else where there is actually a semantic/functional distinction, I would recommend using "-ra" until you get the hang of how they are used differently in that region.

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/obra-visor/hispania--22/html/p0000007.htm

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Highways
Highways

Only a little note. Castilla (Castille) was one of the kingdoms that originated España (Spain) when Isabel de Castilla and Fernando de Aragón married in 1469. Nowadays Spain is formed by 17 autonomics communities, two of wich are named: Castilla y León, and another Castilla-La Mancha. There are other 12 more communities and two autonom cities.

It would be better to call the country for its proper name: Spain.

And I have to say that we use the "-se" form as usually as we use the "-ra" form, and we learn both forms together at school.

3 years ago

marcoiris1

Sorry, I am not referring to Spain, I am referring to Castile. There is a difference and I am well aware of it. Castile (and not Castille, my mistake) is a well-established English form of "Castilla".

3 years ago

Highways

I see you know very well Spain. But I can say that when you state that "in Castile or somewhere else where there is actually a semantic/functional distinction" that we, in all Spain, use both form 'fuera' 'fuese' and all related stuff without semantic/functional distinction. No distinction at all. They are exactly equal.

3 years ago

marcoiris1

You may be a native speaker, but you are not a native speaker of every dialect or local variety. I am also a native speaker (not of Peninsular Spanish though), but I trust decades of research by native-speaker linguists over your single anecdotal response. I'm travelling right now but if you'd like when I return I can provide at least 3 different sources that demonstrate a distinction in meaning between -ra/-se in certain local varieties of Castillian Spanish.

3 years ago

Highways

I have to admit that you are right. I'm not a native speaker of every local variant of Peninsular Spanish. I've only lived at Galicia, País Vasco, Castilla y León (in 3 diferentes cities), and a handful of Andalusian cities. On the other hand I do travel frequently across all the country. So I've read carefully the previous link and those studies mentioned by you, and I see: Cuervo in 1874. Dale in 1925. Keniston in 1937, and so on. But, do you have a remote idea of the changes that have carried Spain to nowadays, to de 21th century?

In the work of George DeMello, that was written in 1993 (that's 'only' 22 years...) study 126 occurrences of subjunctive forms in Seville. I like very much to sit down at a 'terraza' in Alameda de Hércules, in Seville, taste a beer and to hear the people and speak with someone... Exactly the same in Van Dyck the 'tapas' zone in Salamanca, far away of the tourist zone, or the zone near de Plaza Mayor of Valladolid, or a bunch of bars in Málaga... Single anecdotal response you say? Well, I'm not a linguist, but I've lived the enough time and in the enough different places of Spain to tell to someone learning Spanish that there is not difference at all between the two forms. That's simple. Now, if the people want to go deeply with the subject, do not hesitate to come to live to Spain. It isn't important the place, you'll encounter open minded people willing to offer his friendship and if you (other person, I know you as a Mexican speak Spanish very well) make a mistake, never mind, it isn't important.) And if that is not possible at the moment, you can read the 25th chapter 'El verbo (III). El modo' in Nueva gramática de la lengua española, by Asociación de academias de la lengua española ASALE, included Academía Mexicana de la Lengua, not only the Spanish RAE.

Those different sources that could demonstrate a distinction in meaning between -ra/-se in certain local varieties of Castillian Spanish is of highest interest for me. I'll appreciate them. I'm learning some new thing every day, included my mother tongue. When I do not learn anything more it will be because I'll have died. ;-)

3 years ago

marcoiris1

This is demonstrably false. The imperfect subjunctive has been researched for over a century, and any linguist with any knowledge of Spanish will tell you that they are not simply in free allomorphic variation. What actually conditions their use is still a bit controversial and has been difficult to provide a definitive answer, but study after study as well as experiential and anecdotal reports from native speakers of certain dialects within Spain confirm that they are not simply interchangeable with identical function.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/frankenstein724
frankenstein724

Yes, but you are but one native speaker, and what one native speaker alone says does not make it universally true.

3 years ago

Highways

I AM a native speaker... ;-)

3 years ago

Nadya222

Kudos, to you. :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Luxerne
Luxerne

Yes, this is definitely true. Imperfect Subjunctive #2 is rarely used in most of Latin America and I personally have never heard any of my family or friends use it. We all only use Imperfect Subjunctive #1.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MikeCallow

My word. I wish to have such a solid understanding of Spanish as you clearly do. I don't remember much from my English classes at school, but have always found there to be two ways to learn: understanding the theory behind linguistic syntax and applying it, or repetition (what looks/sounds/feels right or wrong in any given situation). I've always learned using the latter, as my poor brain can't seem to comprehend and absorb such complex theory, but I'll go over and over this guide as much as I can. Huge thanks to you, adamyoung97!

3 years ago

MikeCallow: I am assuming that adamyoung97 isn't 97 years old and may have started learning when he was young. Or maybe even better he is still young and learning easier than an older person such as myself. Anyway, you make a couple great points about theory syntax and applying it. I am studying music theory presently and see the correlation completely. We have information that is logic and we have experience which is application. Overall, it is great to have some of both, so we can communicate better to other learners and musicians. Yes, and a continued thanks to adamyoung97, at what ever age he actually is.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're welcome :) Your knowledge will come, too!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/andyjanca
andyjanca

Oh god, this is all just so confusing to me still. I haven't even grasped past and future tense yet. This is so hard. Thanks for the guide, I'll refer to this later when I get a little further in.

3 years ago

cheescaeks, I don't know when you wrote about confusion regarding the subjuntive but, I suggest you continue to get your past, future, and conditional down well before you jump into subjunctive. Plus there are commands that you may want to learn before you start the subjunctive. Not that subjuntive isn't important, because I realize myself now how important subjunctive is. I passed over all the tenses really quickly and now I am reviewing and I just recently got back to subjuntive. Take it all in stride and do some reviews from time to time on the previous tenses so to keep them fresh always... I didn't the first time around, but this time I am going for a new level of fluency.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're welcome :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/lweltin

Thank you!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

¡De nada!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/yimantuwingyai
yimantuwingyai

This is one of the most helpful posts I've ever seen on Duolingo. Muchas gracias!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

¡De nada! :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/yelelle
yelelle

Agree!

3 years ago

yimantuwingyai: Hi there. If you don't say who it is you are talking to by putting the persons name in your post, we don't know what post you liked so much. There are probably times when someone says, well thank you very much, to a post like yours when you weren't writing to that person who ends up saying de nada or whatever. I like your frog foto. I think you might be referring to the original post in this thread, but I don't even know which that would be after so many other posts.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Roadwarrior19871
Roadwarrior19871

Thanks so much for posting this! What an incredible and awesome source guide. I have already immersed myself and absolved so much more in the mere couple weeks I've been on here learning new languages than my many years combined in school. All of you wonderful people and the links you provide only make the experience that much better! Gracias!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/aaditsingh8
aaditsingh8

God that is SO helpful! Thank you! I 'pinned' this discussion :)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/aaditsingh8
aaditsingh8

:D Welcome :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/LupoMikti
LupoMikti

This is absolutely beautiful. I can't even begin to thank you enough for this. Even though I've had 4 years of Spanish in high school (although that was three years ago), when to use the subjunctive was something I was never able to grasp. I'm so happy you took the time to make this.

The only thing I want to ask about is where you heard there were only 3 moods. I was always taught that there were 4 (indicative, subjunctive, conditional, and imperative (which thanks to you I know should be jussive instead) ). It was always emphasized that the conditional was a mood and not a tense.

Once again, thank you so very much for putting this together. I may have completed the Spanish tree, but it's been awhile since I practiced (as is evidenced by the numerous other languages I've started) and I can't wait to get back to it and use this guide in my studying.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're very welcome :) Hm, I looked it up and it appears you're correct - the conditional is a mood :) I'll change it, thank you.

3 years ago

adamyoung97: I am wondering where you learned the term "jussive," because I had never heard it before. Like the famous book of verbs: 501 Spanish verbs doesn't mention that term, unless I missed it. Then looking at what Wikipedia says about "jussive" it seems to be descriptive of something used in languages other than Spanish. (It does mention Latin.) I thought since you have studied many languages, that term may have come from one or some of them.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I saw that it was the official term for the conjugation used for imperatives and suggestions.

3 years ago

I will ask my many connections here regarding this... Just for curiosity sake and who knows what else... I have a desire to know many things that include the unusual and off the wall stuff even . Thanks for your guide and various posts Mr. AdamYoung.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/jairapetyan
jairapetyan

Could you comment on this sentence? -- Después de que sus padres se divorciaran en 1980, Musk vivió mayormente con su padre en localidades de Sudáfrica. I thought it should just have the indicative "se divorciaron" in the second clause, and reading through your notes, I couldn't find anything to justify using the subjunctive.

Nice work, Adam, btw... not only thorough, but also nicely formatted etc. Very generous of you to put so much work into it and share.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

“Después de que...“ is a subjunctive phrase like “Antes de que...”, where the subjunctive is used afterwards :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/tolunayo
tolunayo

According to the book, The Spanish Subjective Up Close by Eric Vogt, Ph. D, these two adverbial clauses are similar but "Antes de que" always require subjunctive (*) while "Después de que" may or may not depending on the situation (pp 50-51).

Examples:

Yo iré al cine después de que Juan me llame. (I'll go to the movies after John calls me) Yo fui al cine después de que Juan me llamó. (I went to the movies after John called me.)

In the first one, there is anticipation. Second one, it happened. There was no anticipation and so it is simply reporting what happened.

But,

Yo iré al cine antes de que Juan me llame. (I'll go to the movies before John calls me.) Yo fui al teatro antes de que Juan me llamara (I went to the movies before John called me.)

In both cases, the call had not happened before I left. So, in either case, Juan/John's call was anticipated.

Anyway, don't shoot the messenger if you disagree.

(*) Provided that the subject of both main and dependent sentences are different

3 years ago

Highways

You are right, but in your example 'Yo fui al cine después de que Juan me llamó' I see a subordinated sentence introduced by 'que', and that verb would be conjugated as subjunctive.

I always use :'Fui al cine después de que me llamase Juan'

This morning I have formulated this question to different people, and all of them have just answered me with a subjunctive tense.

Note: For anyone interested on this subject, searching in Google: "super simple spanish subjunctive rule book" you'll find a booklet that shows it on an easy way.

3 years ago

tolunayo

The examples are coming directly from the book I quoted. This was a specific example of where subjunctive should not be used per author.

Again I was not waiting for or anticipating the call so I left after the call came (Juan me llamó - pretérito de indicativo). I am just stating the sequence of events that happened in the past in this case so subjunctive will not be used.

This case is similar to the case of 'cuando' when it is sometimes used with subjunctive and sometimes not.

Update: by the way not every subordinate sentence that starts with que needs to be subjunctive.

3 years ago

Highways

I've just edited slightly my previous comment, with the hope to help people learning Spanish.

Update: Long time ago, when I used to go to the school we had to learn the subjunctive as:

Presente de subjuntivo de la 1ª declinación:

• Que yo cante
  • Que tu cantes

and so on. The whole form started with 'que'.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DeLogosarda
DeLogosarda

I know it has been a long time since this discussion has taken place, but I am quite interested about this topic.

It wasn't clear to me what the formulated question you asked was to the different people. I am not understanding why all of them would have answered with the subjunctive there, and I do wish to understand.

I agree that "que" starts of a new clause, but after "después de que," as I know it, there can be an indicative clause or a subjunctive one:

El terremoto repentino empezó después de que pasó la tormenta.

There is no doubt, uncertainty, but only objectivity in the above sentence; therefore, the subjunctive does not seem warranted to me.

The same seems to be true about the sentence you were talking about:

Yo fui al cine después de que Juan me llamó.

There is no doubt or uncertainty, there is no opinion expressed; rather, the event has already happened and one could verify that it happened as "Juan" did call and that is fact.

I look forward to learning from your response.

3 years ago

Highways

I'm afraid that I can't explain it to you, I only can tell that those sentences would be:

'El terremoto repentino empezó después de que pasase la tormenta.' and 'Yo fui al cine después de que Juan me llamase'.

The question was:

'Ayer me llamó Juan. Después fui al cine. Por favor, completa la frase: Ayer fui al cine después de que Juan me...'

Why in English you say 'For sale' and in Spanish we say 'Se vende'? I don't know, but those are the sentences.

I must say that those sentence are used in Spain.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RaymundoVega

For both: in our language we use "después de que" as a part of a tale. Why to answer with this? who knows! we just want to tell the background, the cause of the thing we're talking about. Let's make an example: -Yo fui al cine después de que Juan me llamase In english this is just as -I went to the movies after Juan's call

so... Why do you use the "after"? Just to let someone know why we did the first thing in question or what happened before.

An why in spanish we say "se vende" instead of the literal translation "en venta"? Well we also use "se" as a preposition too, there's an implicit subject (which can be a house) so we can also use "en venta" which is practically the same but with more... formality you can say. As I commented before: Even though my natal languaje is spanish... it's the hardest languaje because of the multiple ways to talk it.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DeLogosarda
DeLogosarda

I did not expect such a quick response. ¡Muchísimas gracias por ello!

Again, I find this very interesting. In what city did you ask this question?

I am not sure if this no longer holds true, but at least as of 2005, according to the RAE, "después de que" can be followed by both subjunctive and indicative.

In the "diccionario de dudas" published that year, under the entry "después," the following sentence is given as an example to use "después de que":

Después de que te fuiste, llamó tu hermano.

Sometimes there is a disconnect between what they publish and what is used, I guess though; and, they cannot address every variation of the language.

Very much thank you for your time. ¡Y que tenga un buen día señor(a)!

3 years ago

Oh yeeah the RAE... it's werid though to follow up any indications from it. You see, I'm from Mexico city, and my spanish won't be the same of a Madrid guy or a Bogotá guy.

As much as we know the RAE will try to unify spanish and also will say what's grammatically correct. Still is no use once you speak it for real. You'll find a lot of variants the RAE would not address. It just depends of the culture from each country with native spanish.

Also I'm concerned about if my english isn't a little bit odd but as I said before, I'm mexican so I'm trying to learn English. What I replied before was just the way we use this "después de que" for mexican spanish (and may be the same for some other countries as well)

Sure you can use it as the RAE example, there's no difference at all talking grammatically but there's a difference about how respectfully they are. I'll make an example:

-Corrimos a la casa después de que empezó a llover -Después de que lloviera, corrimos a la casa

Both are saying the same thing! It's clear that we ran home and before of that it started to rain. So when do we use each of these? It depends the formality you want to have. What am I trying to say with this thing called "formality"? You'll find the first example in a regular convesation with a second person (a friend, relative, etc.). You might use the second one for a book or when talking with a third person (a stranger or someone else you don't want to be disrespectful)

I hope you can get the idea.

3 years ago

Highways

I find this very interesting too. It makes me think about the subject as I have the mechanisms to use it (as a native speaker), without the need of search an explanation.

The question was asked in Seville. And later I asked it in Málaga with identical answers.

In a language there are many exceptions to the rules, it is not a mathematical law. There are sentences that are used as such from many years ago, centuries, as I pointed with 'For sale' and 'Se vende'.

3 years ago

jairapetyan

Thanks! Hopefully I'll develop an ear for it. Well, as long as I continue working on my Spanish, I'm sure I will. (And I'll forget my Italian and English if I don't keep those up. :P)

3 years ago

Nadya222

I have to throw a "monkey wrench" (which is American, for "spanner"), into the machinery, here!

Your COMMON SENSE was correct!

Here is a typical "Después de que..." phrase, but written in reverse order: http://circoviral.com/hombre-se-divorcio-de-su-esposa-despues-de-que-miro-esta-foto/

REMEMBER: You can re-arrange the verbiage, here, too:

"Después de que se divorció de su esposa, hombre miró esta foto."

I only "reverse the verbs" so that you can look at a "dependent clause" that resembles the one you gave, as an example.

Notice how the "simple past tense" (el pretérito) is used: NOT the subjunctive. Clearly, young Adam does not understand that the past tense is merely used, here, to list a sequence of events that 'already happened': not to indicate plans to do something, in the future.

"Después de que se divorcien, (Musk se saldrá para vivir con su padre)."

Clearly, one action is conditional upon another action happening: (and, THAT is why it uses the subjunctive "mood", in this last example, just above, here).

Or, in other words, "Musk" will live with his father "in the event that" (and AFTER) the couple gets a divorce, "the Lord willing and the creek don't rise" (words in quote are a phrase often uttered by people from Appalachia: the 'mountain people' of that region of the Eastern U.S.).

So, the "independent clause" (which begins with "Musk") is dependent on something happening, FIRST: something which may or may not happen. There is the element of "doubt" which becomes "part of the mix", when use of the subjunctive is indicated, in examples like this one.

In contrast to that, the "couple" had already divorced, in your example, after which the boy went to live with his father.

"Después de que se divorciaron... " (AFTER that action had already happened, a second action took place: this is just a recounting of two things that happened, one after the other, in sequence.)

3 years ago

jairapetyan

Well, the person whom I corrected (I thought they had just made a typo with "se divorciaran") is a native Spanish speaker and said the subjunctive simply sounded correct. So is there a rule about using it after clauses using "antes" or "después?" When I was taking Spanish grammar at university I was pretty good at it, but it has been awhile. Maybe I'll dig out my books, if I Google won't tell us.

3 years ago

Nadya222

I see the conundrum. I included a link (above) to an online article. You can "check it out", if you wish. In that "header" (or, headline), you will see how that particular author put things together: and, you will naturally come to your own conclusions.

I honestly don't know what else to say. I think your review of your old textbook material will probably "shed more light on the subject". (Let me know, in a private message, what you find).

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/goldy1992
goldy1992

Here's two things that I don't believed were mentioned:

1) Aunque can be used with the indicative and subjuntive: look at part IV of this link: http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/courses/SUBJADV.HTM 2) perdona que / perdone que (imperative) are both followed by the subjunctive since perdonar expresses a feeling (or direct effect).

This is to the contrary of normal imperative expressions such a common phrase like "no me digas que tienes razon" whose imperative clause is followed by the indicative.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ThomasYoung03

Can somebody please explain to me why the word for eat in Spanish is comer so in this guide when saying I eat it would become yo coma yet in the app it is yo como? is a and o the same in spanish?

3 years ago

jfGor

Hi Thomas, yo como means I eat in the present tense (indicative mood). Yo coma is the present subjunctive tense in the subjunctive mood. At level 6 you may not have reached this level of grammar, as it is much further down the tree.

If you are curious, then check here: http://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/comer

3 years ago

fgordy: Interesting name. I had a professor who used his middle name Ernest(o) instead of Gordon, because gordo means fat. And if you add "on" to some Spanish words, like some adjectives they mean even more... whatever like fat. However "gordon" is not a real word. Like silla is chair, a real big chair is sillón. I suppose "millón" would be another example, when mil means a thousand and millón means a millon. Also, "ratón" must be one too. These are called, augmentative suffixes. Here is a place to read more about them, if anyone is interested: (http://spanish.about.com/od/nouns/a/augment_suffix.htm) Anyway, I just wanted to say that the www.spanishdict.com is a good source and it seems to be getting better all the time. My favorite dictionary for languages is this one: http://www.wordreference.com Buen día.

3 years ago

jfgordy replied:

Clemento, it seems like your professor had an inferiority complex. Neither Gordy nor Gordon means fat. Gordon is a good ole Scottish name. However my sir-name is not Gordy from birth. It is Ferguson, another good ole Scottish name. Gordy is a famous name in Atlanta and is quite rare and most likely derived from Gordi (Italian, so I have been told). Thanks for the link. I use it all the time.

3 years ago

The main reason for my posts is to be helpful whenever and however possible. I sincerely hope you didn't take what I was saying in any way other than was my only intention which is to give insight on the particular word "gordo." As you should know if you do as you say, use the link for wordreference.com that "gordo" means fat along with a few other terms. gordo adj. (obeso, con sobrepeso) fat adj. If you have seen Mexican television it would be difficult to miss the show El Gordo y La Flaca. The two main people on this show are examples of extremes. One person, a woman, who is very thin (La Flaca) and the other being a man, who is very large (El Gordo.) I do not like to past up the opportunity to teach something that I know for certain and if I have doubts I make that clear. I love to be corrected because then I learn from that. Thank you for teaching me what Gordy means for a Scottish person. Since you are studying Spanish, I thought it would be good for you to know what I told you in my original post. In that post I never mentioned Gordy, only gordo and gordon. I hope someone notices and learns something regarding the "on" ending of certain Spanish words. My friend Gordon Johnson is a professor of Spanish and he has no need to have a complex about anything and he surely doesn't need me to defend him either in anyway. If I can be of any help to anyone studying Spanish I would be well pleased. Thanks

3 years ago

jfGor

Clemente-Pablo: I know you are being helpful. I just have a sarcastic dry sense of humor. I did not know the guy was your personal friend. Thanks for the help. I do not want to high jack this thread about the subjunctive guide. Write on my activity if you want to. Chill out! OK? You have not offended me at all. I hope I have not offended you either. Cheers!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DonTeorino
DonTeorino

In spanish verbs decline accordig to person, time and mood, . "Yo como" is first person , time present, mood INDICATIVE. "Yo coma" is first person, time Present, Mood SUBJUNCTIVE. EXAMPLE: CUANDO YO COMA PODREMOS IRNOS. shows person, time and mood alone in the "Yo coma" to make the understanding a little easier imagine there is a conditon to perform the following action, in this case the condition is "yo coma". In the situation of "yo como" there is no condition to do it, you just do it.That is as far as my grammar can go, Hope it will be enough.

3 years ago

LupoMikti

Please see my reply in this discussion to senor_leofordan. It doesn't talk about comer specifically, but it's still going to be an answer to your question in a way.

If you are not at a point in your Spanish studies where you have encountered and know what the Subjunctive Mood is, then you do not have to worry about this guide yet. You should forget it exists until you do. As far as you need to be concerned, "I eat" is "Yo como". The -a and -o endings are not the same in this case. If you really must know what's going on, reread the intro to this post. It explains what the Subjunctive Mood is very nicely. If you are still confused, seek outside resources and help elsewhere on the Internet.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ELo613

I just downloaded this app and started learning spanish yesterday. I'm on level 4, I believe. I already wrote down a guide just like this :) ex: yo leo, tu lees, nosotros leemos, los ninos leen, el nino lee. It appears I'm on the right track! This guide is obviously a lot more thorough and helpful than mine though, because you know more words, so thank you! Also, it's good to learn that they are moods vs. tenses.. I knew that they weren't quite tenses, so I named my guide "forms." Lol. Anyways, thanks! Extremely helpful :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/savourtardis
savourtardis

Those forms, leo/lees/leemos/leen/lee, are neither moods nor tenses: they are present tense [indicative mood] conjugations for different persons and plurality in the subject.

English has minimal conjugation, usually two forms (e.g. I/you/we/they write, he/she/it writes; possibly considered singular vs. plural in English class in school) but "be" (which seems to be irregular in a lot of languages), for instance, has I am, you/we/they are, he/she/it is. Your set of words, of forms (yes) of leer, serve a similar and even more vital function in Spanish, because Spanish sentences often omit the subject. ("Duermo"--I sleep. "Lees el libro"--You read the book.)

This thread refers to something called the subjunctive mood, which you won't need to worry about for a little while, until you get into expressing more complex ideas.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/tnel1
tnel1

Wow! That was pretty thorough! :) Thanks for posting that! Are you a Spanish student or teacher? :) Awfully nice of you to do that. Do you have a blog about studying Spanish?

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Soy estudiante de español, estoy en el colegio :) No tengo blog, lo siento. ¡Y no hay de qué!

3 years ago

tnel1

Well, good work! I like your examples and your distinct voice as you explain this stuff. :) I think you would make a great Spanish language learner's blog! :) Maybe someday...:)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Thank you :) Have you seen my Amharic website?

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/tobibeer
tobibeer

Amharic ...all the things I don't know ^_^

3 years ago

I never even heard of that language. I thought someone mispelled Aramaic. Well, that is what I get for thinking.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/IMacD003

oh no ill help you

2 years ago

tnel1

No, but I would love to take a look! :)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

https://www.duolingo.com/xtay2008
xtay2008

so surprise .....oh you can speaks Amharic ?a language of Ethiopia right?i have been Ethiopia 4 years.really nice to meet you..

3 years ago

adamyoung97

I can't speak it fluently yet, but I'm learning it :)

አቀላጥፎ መናገር አልችልም ገና፣ ግን እየተማርኩት ነው።

3 years ago

hola me eithipoia

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/zoocheetah

hi

2 years ago

yes its very apealing

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/auboo5
auboo5

it was good

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/75hi5s

Yeah, google translate also helps!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/misha147
misha147

Adamyoung que tal? definitivamente muy impresionante lo que has compartido acerca de la guía del subjuntivo, ciertamente es difícil para principiantes el atormentador "subjuntivo", y quería comentarte básicamente para agradecer tu trabajo y empeño que has puesto en ello, leí un poco los comentarios y de verdad sigo firme en decir que el español no es un idioma tan fácil como muchos creerían que es, tiene bastante tropiezos y estructuras enredadas; yo como hablante nativo te felicito por tanta elocuencia y eficacia. Sigue así! no desistas nunca y espero que cada día que pase te vuelvas mucho mas fluido en este precioso idioma!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kreilyn
Kreilyn

I have to say your Spanish has to be quite good, because expressions like "no hay de qué", is the kind of expression your learn when you are fluent!

3 years ago

I learned "No hay de qué" on my first trip to Mexico, right after my first semester of Spanish in college. I also learned "Que le vaya bien" on that same trip. Knowing any amount of phrases such as these doesn't show one to be fluent in the language. It doesn't hurt toward achieving that as a goal however.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/bluesocksTN
bluesocksTN

I tend to agree with you Clemente-Pablo, seeing that I learned that phrase in the first few days of my first year of high school Spanish.

Our teacher gave us a list of words and phrases that she wanted us to start using in the classroom and that was on the list.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/philmor2
philmor2

agreed

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/nino_dominicano

qué quiere decir "no hay de qué"

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Es como "De nada"

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ElHeim
ElHeimPlus

Viene a querer decir: "no hay nada que agradecer"

3 years ago

ElHeimPlus

@parafrances Son todas fórmulas para restar importancia a lo agradecido. "De nada", "¿de qué?", "con gusto", "no hay que darlas", etc. Es simplemente una convención. Cambiará el país y la fórmula, pero la intención es la misma.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/marianajulieta1

que buen explication! En mi lengua,romanian, es lo mismo:"Nu ai de ce", pero no pienso nunca en la significad.Gracias!

2 years ago

gracias

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/parafrances

Yo he oido "de nada" de hispanoparlantes de varias lenguas, pero "no hay de qué" no se dice en todos los paises hispanoparlantes... un mejicano siempre me decía "de qué", a mi me sonaba a pregunta... y "con gusto", que me sonaba raro... por eso, "de nada" para mi es la mas universal.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kalleca
Kalleca

Ja, yo ni tenia idea. Gracias.

2 years ago

It is kind of how the USA folks say: It's nothing.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Yamil.Ladner
Yamil.Ladner

In fact you can also say "No es nada", but it depends of the context. "No hay de qué" it's a formal way.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/aliciamese

is like you are welcome !

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Gvm0004
Gvm0004

eso significa you're welcome/ de nada :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/22nathy
22nathy

en el traductor mira

2 years ago

exacto, Gvm0004, sigifica lo mismo que "you are welcome"

No estoy de acuerdo, ElHeim, NO significa "restar importancia". Es la fórmula de respuesta cortés, nada más... no me gusta el "you're welcome" ni el "con gusto", precisamente porque hay veces en las que lo que has hecho puede que fuese tu obligación hacerlo, y puede que te haya desagradado o agotado, y tienes que devolver la fórmula de cortesía.... pero de ahí a que lo hayas hecho con gusto.... va mucho.

Cuando realmente quiero restar importancia (y en según qué contextos), yo digo "ha sido un placer", o (en según qué otros) digo "al contrario, gracias a usted" .... porque "de nada" no tiene significado en absoluto, más allá de ser tan educado como el que te lo dice.

Al menos en España.

2 years ago

It is kind of like saying, it's nothing... in place of your welcome... But you wouldn't say: No es nada... I don't think I have ever hear that anyway. "No hay de que" is very common and I feel like it is a more formal way of saying your welcome, whereas de nada seems informal... maybe just be me though. I don't believe it shows any level of fluency other than, it may show that the learner has been hanging around some Spanish speakers for awhile longer than some others.

3 years ago

Kreilyn

It is not formal... It is quite colloquial to say like that! And when I say it must be a good Spanish is because that "phrase" is a little bit difficult to get!

3 years ago

Kreilyn

Are you Dominican?

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/BellMarcelo

Solo un consejo, "QUÉ" (Con tilde) solo se lleva en caso de preguntas, por ejemplo: ¿Qué te paso?. Lo mismo sucede para "PORQUE", (Con tilde), solo se lleva en caso de preguntas. Algunas personas también dicen "Por qué" (Que es totalmente valido). Por ejemplo: "¿Porqué él se fue?" "¿Por qué te caíste?"

Otra cosa, cuando te estés escribiendo con alguien, algunas personas solo usan el signo de interrogación al final "?".

3 years ago

ElHeimPlus

¡Cuidado! "Porqué" sólo se usa como sustantivo, para hablar "del porqué" de algo. Al preguntar, siempre se usa "¿Por qué...?" Nunca "porque" o "porqué"

3 years ago

¿Por qué...? = Why...? Porque.... = Because.... el porqué = the reason

;-) (we also have problems with wordas which seem to be the same in English. like "but" (nothing but good / sorry but I disagree)

2 years ago

Oh, muchas gracias amigo, no sabia eso.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/cubegenius

Oh, muchas gracias amigo, no sabia eso.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Bluegreenlight

Thank you

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/_M.Taylor

mi mami cocino pollo y pasta sin queso

2 years ago

Kreilyn

It must be with an accent, and to use only the question mark means you are lazy or you don't know about Spanish grammar.

3 years ago

tobibeer

nope, it means that your keyboard doesn't cater for it and that there's little point in trying to figure out from where to get upside-down punctuation marks

3 years ago

Sorry, I'm Spanish dude.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Florida-rocks

BellMarcelo, aren't you Argentine, a native Spanish speaker? You said below that you were Spanish, which are people from Spain. Thank you for your input. I think the advent of social media is ruining grammar in ALL languages.

3 years ago

ElHeimPlus

@Kreilyn is right in this case. "No hay de qué" is the right way to write it. It's an idiom and doesn't need to respect the usual rules for "qué". In the 4th point in this page: http://lema.rae.es/dpd/srv/search?id=O6eco2ky2D6USmsCih we have a list of idioms using "qué".

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RositaLW

Not really. "No hay de que" occurs in Destinos, the novela aimed at intermediate Spanish learners.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Aaron_Fleming

La verdad

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/martinlus
martinlus

Excelente, bien hecho! Tenga un lingot! Muchísimas gracias!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/aubreyt78

Wow.......I studied 4 years in high school; then worked with Mexican people for a year...this is going back to 97.............I want to be a translator, and use this site! You have a talent...I also picked up Polish, and German easily....

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Speakercat101

Join my SuperSpanishLearners CLUB!

11 months ago

I am a teacher hi

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MassoudOmar

ayy lmfao n00bzzzzzz ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 years ago

Nadya222

Another comment, here:

In re: "Si + Conditional" (from your text, above):

Si pudieras ir a cualquier sitio, ¿adónde irías? - If you could go anywhere, where would you go?*

*"If YOU WERE ABLE to go anywhere, where would you go?" (caps mine, for emphasis)

Note: I prefer to show, as much as possible, any real correlation to existing subjunctive forms, in English, to give a more complete sense of any similarity between the two languages.

Of course, the "subjunctive", in English, in the above example, would conform to the following subjunctive (mood) of the corresponding past-tense conjugation of the verb "to be":

I were

You were

He, she, it were

We were

They were

And, because "you were able", in and of itself, does not capture the "subjunctive sense of things", (at least not on the face of it), my choice of a sentence would be different, in order to capture that essence:

Si ella pudiera ir a cualquier sitio, adónde iría? me pregunto. -- If "she were able" to go anywhere, where would she go, I wonder? (quotation marks added, for emphasis)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Sí, pero lo importante es que la gente vea el subjuntivo en las frases en español, hasta yo no lo utilice siempre cuando traduje las frases al inglés, pero tienes razón.

3 years ago

Nadya222

The idea is to "make as close a correlation as possible". And, then the "newbie" is more apt to "see" that correlation.

3 years ago

Nadya222: The "newbie" and the retread... that would be me. It is great to see and remind others regarding somethings the newest learners might miss and how they may either see things and/or need some guidance seeing things clearly. As a retread, or second time around learner, I really appreciate that kind of insight.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Timo487

¡Este es muy bueno! ¡me auyda mucho! I apologise if i've made any mistakes

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Gracias, y me alegro :) Unas correciones:

¡Esto es muy bueno! ¡Me ayuda mucho!

Well done, though. The second was only a minor spelling mistake, and for the first, este is only used when you have a masculine word afterwards, like "Este teléfono". Keep it up! :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Luxerne
Luxerne

Éste and ésta (with accents) can work as pronouns when you do know the gender of the thing you don't feel like saying the entire name for. If they are working as pronouns, then the accent is used. If they are adjectives, then there are no accents. Same goes with ése/a and aquél/la.

Examples:

• ¿Podrías decirme cuánto cuesta esa obra?
  • ¿Podrías decirme cuánto cuesta ésa?
3 years ago

frankenstein724

as adam said, in this case it would still be esto or eso. There isn't a noun to know the gender of in such a case.

Also, La RAE says (last time I checked, it was within the past year or so) that now you don't even need to put the accents on este and esta to use them as pronouns.

3 years ago

jfGor

Luxerne: I believe you are talking about when there is a conversation and both parties already know what the pronoun stands for. I have seen it. If there is no context (like in Duo model sentences), one is forced into using the neuter eso and esto.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Yeah, but in this case I would say "Esto"

3 years ago

adamyoung97: Isn't "esto" one of those words used for saying "that?" Like when we want to say this thing or that thing. If it is something close to us, we say esto and if it is something further away we say eso, and if it is really far away we say aquello. If the answer you are saying is "esto" and is not in your reach as far as distance from you, wouldn't the correct answer be "eso?" I realize that you may not be speaking of a tangible thing, but this idea popped into my head and I thought it might be helpful to someone.

3 years ago

Highways

Wonderful work!! ¡¡Excelente!!

I have only found a pair of little problems:

• No creo que el japonés sea un idioma fácil.
  • Creo que el japonés es un idioma fácil
  • Las reglas insisten en que no se hable.
3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kiryo
Kiryo

Thank you for the great explanation, but you seem to have left out the Subjunctive Future form. Hablare, hablares, hablare, habláremos, hablareis, hablaren. Yes, it is literary and rare, but it exists!

3 years ago

Nadya222

Don't you mean "it existed, once"? In my experience, (and in my personal library), I have only a handful of books that use "the future subjunctive":

1) "El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de La Mancha" - written in two parts, 1605 & 1615 A.D.

2) La Biblia (la antigua versión de Casiodoro de Reina) - 1569 A.D.

3) "El Cid" --- the date of first publishing is disputed, but "circa 1250-1350 A.D."

In all three of these old volumes, the future tense subjunctive is used liberally.

BUT, nothing published recently uses it, at all. At best, it is "antiquated, archaic, and arcane"; although, I confess that, on occasion, I, personally, have wanted to use it, because it expressed my thoughts better than any other "tense or form" of the verb. STILL, it is a "dead form", in Latin America.

As I recall, there is an old "dicho" (un decir o refrán) that goes something like this:

"Sea como fuere..." (Be that as it may...) (or, literally, "May it be as it might be")

It's all interesting, though...

3 years ago

Kiryo

It is not commonly used in Spanish either, however it may be it exists as "antiquated, archaic and arcane". Also, an article in a Spanish law starts like this: "Quien matare al Rey...", expressing a high improbability of the King's assassination, even less likely that "Quien mate".

3 years ago

Nadya222

Oh, true! I forgot about that. One "does" see that type of "construct" in legal language (i.e., in Writs of Habeas Corpus, and other legal documents: even in today's democracies, where there is no king! :) :)

By the way, I would "translate" that phrase "Quien matare al Rey..." into the following English (with a bit of legal-language humor, thrown into it):

"Quien matare al Rey..." = He who would hypothetically even consider killing the King...

Note: the above is for the purposes of humor, only

3 years ago

Kiryo

Haha no need to specify that, we understand :D Наталья Сергеевна, looks like you are from the United States? And even if you were serious, it would be okay, but a pity for His Majesty of course. :)

3 years ago

Nadya222

Smiles, to you! Oops! My surname looks "funny", spelled that way! Did you mean Сергеевна ? I think you did! :)

3 years ago

Nadya222

"4. Direct effect

If an action affects you directly (e.g. “I don't like that...“), the subjunctive is used. Some phrases which use the subjunctive in this way are “Me molesta...“ (It bothers me that...), “Me gusta que...“ (I like that...), and “Me entristece que...“ (It upsets me that...). Some examples are:

No me gusta que los profesores nos DEN tantos deberes - I don't like that the teachers give us so much homework.

Me molesta que no HAGAS nada - It bothers me that you don't do anything.

Me entristece que alguna gente no TENGAN* casa - It upsets me that some people don't have a house."

NOTE: The word "(la) gente" is a "collective noun" that is singular, in Spanish. Another such example is "el pueblo", in the case that this second one means "the people" (because it can also mean "the town", depending on context). BOTH of these examples actually mean "the people" (and, for all intents and purposes, can be interchanged, freely); but, the first one [namely, "gente"] may be more closely aligned with the older English word "gentry": both having similar origins, within the Latin language). "Gente" and "gentry", then, are said to be "cognates". In the Spanish-speaking world, however, it does 'not' have to do with the "gentrified rich and famous": it just means "the people" (and, it is most-definitely the more common, of the two words, in everyday use).

Here are three examples where we clearly see that "gente" is a SINGULAR noun:

1) La gente ES la principal riqueza que tiene un país.

2) Nuestra gente no COMPRENDE la gravedad de la situación.

3) Me entristece que alguna gente no TENGA* casa.

A good web-page source for further reviewing the specifics of this--

http://spanish.about.com/od/sentencestructure/qt/People.htm

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Guy_Bailey
Guy_Bailey

The etymology of "ojalá" as "oh Allah" isn't entirely correct. It comes from "wa-šā' Allāh" meaning "and may God will it". "Oh God" is in Arabic "ya rab," "ya allah" or similar.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Talca
Talca

God grant... or Would that... (acceptable English translations). These are closer to the original "and may God will it" that you reference. I was taught as you were.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ward79
Ward79

Esta ha sido la mejor explicación del subjuntivo que he visto hasta ahora;)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Dovyuruk
Dovyuruk

Gods! I've needed this! I wish I could practice the subjunctive like the present or past tense on DL. It keeps slipping out of my brain and I have a hard time internalizing this.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MaeveMorgana

Esto esta casi tan elaborado como la explicación que recibí en quinto grado. Tienes un buenísimo dominio del español. ¡Felicitaciones!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Muchas gracias :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ilene-in-DP

This is obtainable for me. I will own it. Con Tiempo! Thank you.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/saina
saina

Awesome guide

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Thank you :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/alexeynaner

Yeah

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/xMerrie
xMerrie

You are a hero! :)
Amazing guide!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

¡Gracias! :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Farjo1
Farjo1

7 Que...

This explains the lyric "Que no pare la fiesta (don't stop the party)" i.e. why it is not "No para la fiesta" - presumably the que expresses the singer's desire that nobody stops the party, and this desire triggers the subjunctive use of parar.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/goldy1992
goldy1992

With phrases such as this I imagine that they have missed a verb out at the beginning. E.g. Que tengas un buen día, would be short for espero que tengas un buen día

3 years ago

Nadya222

And, even at that, this phrase (of yours) was practically unheard of, in Mexico, as recent as 25 years ago, because people don't HAVE (possess) a good day, they PASS the day well.

Or, in other words (and even among my Colombian friends), one "always" says:

"Que pases un buen día!"

And, two shortened (slang) forms, depending on which part of the Spanish-speaking world you're in, at the moment:

"Que la pases bien!"

"Que lo pases bien!"

Or, as the above slang translates into American English slang---

"Have a good one!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Exactly - it's the same as if someone were to say "May the party never stop" :)

3 years ago

Nadya222

I like your choice of the word "may".

And, although, in many English-speaking places around the world, the use of the word "may" (in the subjunctive) is rather archaic and--may I say--Shakespearean, I, myself, still use it, to show, conclusively, that we are indeed dealing with a subjunctive form.

MAY IT ALWAYS BE SO! ---Que siempre salga así !

MAY THE PARTY NEVER END! ---Que no [pare][termine][cese] la fiesta!

Or, as Judge Reinhold said, in one of his movies--

PARTY 'TIL YOU PUKE! (just joking)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/WackyJack

I rather enjoy this serious, dissecting approach to Pitbull lyrics!

3 years ago

frankenstein724

I assume you're referring to the fact that "may" is falling out of use compared to "can", as in "may I X" as opposed to "can I X"...but the case you bring up here, as a phrase, is just generally not as common...but no one is going to say "can the party never end". There are people that use "can" instead of "may", and I see no problem with that, who -also- still use "may" for things like "may the party never end" (you know, if they have reason to be saying something like that in the first place.)

3 years ago

Nadya222

People just say "I hope the party never ends."

Or, in 17th-century English:

"Would that the par-tay* ended not, Sir Lancelot!"

*par-tay used to be 'ghetto-speak' (for the word "party"), in various places, in the U.S.A. (And, I use it, here, just to add humor).

3 years ago

frankenstein724

yes, but "may it never end" has not entirely fallen out of usage, either. and -please- tell me you aren't the kind of person who finds "ghetto-speak" to be some deficient form of English.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Eddygp
Eddygp

A further point: negative imperative uses subjunctive. "Do not shout!" becomes "¡No gritéis!", NEVER "¡No gritad!" (the latter one being a widespread grammatical mistake for many Spanish speaker -- including native ones-- and is generally frowned upon).

3 years ago

Hi Eddygp: The ...tad or ...ad endings are used a lot in the Spanish Bible. I always thought it had to do with the Spain type Spanish because they do use the vosotros all the time, at least in the RVR 1960 which seems to be the version the majority still use. Well, if you have any more ideas about the "ad" endings or is someone else does, post it around here somewhere.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

That is there, perhaps you didn't see it :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Mr.Smilie
Mr.Smilie

Thank you for this guide! it is very informative and packed with useful information! heh, I had left this thread open in a separate for easy reference and got a 404 error about the page being gone today, I was thinking "I hope it was stickied because it was too much good information to have been deleted!" and lo and behold it is! now it will be here easy to find for many future learners to access and review!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/75hi5s

Wow, what a LONG post! This helps alot!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Parisa_b1

Tnx for your guidance.They're really useful.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ale-Kilmurray

Muy completo! y que difícil es el español! que suerte que ya lo hablo! :P ... saludos

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Livandora

Cool!

3 years ago

¡¡¡¡¡Anda, Livandora, si quieres practicar tu español, escribe frases más elaboradas, para que alguien te pueda corregir y así aprender mucho más!!!!!!

En España te habria tenido que corregir dos cosas: No has abierto la exclamación, y no usamos ese anglicismo solito, diríamos :

¡Qué cool!

Pero es muy informal, claro. Y no es necesario usar extranjerismos, hay maneras de decirlo usando sólo español. ¡Prueba!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/georgelucas
georgelucas

You are welcome

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Marcos_Prz
Marcos_Prz

Soy hispanohablante y me hiciste recordar cuando me iba mal en la materia de español (elementary school) °_°

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/2027800

Thanks!!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MrMultilingual5
MrMultilingual5

Well done my friend :). I am from Colombia. But need help with the words (In-On-At-It-To), If you can, please explain when when I must use those words, Thanks, and Good Job! ¡Buen Trabajo amigo!. Por favor explicame el uso de las palabras anteriores. Regards from Colombia, Danny.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RafardiaS2

look at engvid.com look there you see many situation to solve your difficult see you.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/brightsideoflife
brightsideoflife

Thank you for your guides of Italian and Spanish subjunctives! Thank you for your website about learning Amharic!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kraii

Viendo esto, me parece muy complicado el español que el ingles.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Mujer134

This is brilliant. I refer to it constantly. A lingot for your generosity!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/drugidomwpolsce

Qué genial! Es muy sencillo comprender. Buen trabajo!

I just wanted to add my two cents (much as that is worth haha). I learned that some dependent phrases do not always require the subjunctive, such as aunque, cuando, en cuanto, hasta que, etc.

Iré al supermercado cuando no haya ningunas manzanas. Voy al supermercado cuando mis chicos han comido toda la fruta.

Aunque mejoren la seguridad, no querré vivir en ese barrio. Aunque mejoraron la seguirdad, no quiero vivir en ese barrio.

Después de que llegue su abuelita, limpiaremos la casa. Después de que llegó su abuelita, limpiamos la casa.

My teacher was a native speaker, as was her husband, and they always corrected me in conversation because this is such a hard thing to remember haha. You may have just left this out for simplicity's sake, but I thought the distinction should be made.

De nuevo ... muchísimas gracias!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/dicksonmelvin

gracias, esto ayuda, estoy busco entender mas palabras y leer con mas hablar espanto

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ericsamuel94
ericsamuel94

Absolutely brilliant amigo!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ChaijTea

¡Tenga todos de mis Lingots! Esta guía es de más ayuda que cualquier ví en la Red. ¡Gracias!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ElyuanHeta

gracias! , Thank you , جزاكم الله خيرا

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DonTeorino
DonTeorino

Wonderlful leson about "Spanish subjunctive mood" I really liked it, Congratulations

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Steelers12day

Thank you very helpful

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/EdwardPapa0

Muchas gracias :) It helps me a lot :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Dan_dos
Dan_dos

Te lo agradezco mucho el documento; es muy util.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/1010marina

Thank you!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KnutTyse
KnutTyse

I found a program called "mastering the spanish subjunctive" which offers tons of english to spanish translation drills using the subjunctive. It is expensive though. I will start using it in a few weeks when I'm done with my current grammar drills. http://masteringthespanishsubjunctive.com/

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Quiseanthony

thanks !!!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ElaineRichards1

thank you - I have been studying this today with my Spanish teacher on Skype and I'm so confused. This really helps.

3 years ago

ElaineRichards1: It is too bad that most teachers can't explain this subjunctive thing so well. It is best to get the explainations from others who have studied the language(s) you are interested in and use the teachers for only examples of such things as the subjunctive. I couldn't explain various parts of the English language and I have spoke it all my life. Your best teacher sometimes is another student.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Leaves13

Very useful explanation ! Thanks :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gnat79
gnat79

Is there any way to get at least some of this information in the Subjunctive activity under Spanish? That's where grammar usually should go. However, for some reason, it seems like the Spanish course is lacking grammar lessons (tips). Compare to German, and it seems there is a lot more. Is it my perception, or is it reality? I love the guide, and thank you!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/anniefaurer

thank you so much.

3 years ago

tobibeer

It would be awesome to find such a guide associated with the corresponding lessons!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/joeymantisi12

¡Que bueno! Este me ayudó. Gracias

3 years ago

jfGor

@adamyoung97, In your table, 4th from the top, you list the verb 'eligir'. I believe it should be 'elegir'. Please correct me if I am wrong. Gracias!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're right, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/carloruocco

Thank you so much!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Chesster40
Chesster40

Cool thanks for making this it helped me.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Erik_Ugland

Fantastic stuff. Thanks!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/WoRtExi
WoRtExi

Great post!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/callereal12

Thanks for this work!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ACastle_10
ACastle_10

Thank you!!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DominikReDo
DominikReDo

Thank you!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ms.DeLaMora

This is really good!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kurt_22
Kurt_22

Muy bueno.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/FatihOzdemir2023

:D

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Spanish_console

wow amazing

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Skookum2

Gracias por eso. El concepto del subjuntivo es difícil para muchos.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ms.DeLaMora

Hola a todos! BellMarcelo is correct! The Spanish speakers sometimes do not use the traditional grammatical order to formulate questions, where the verb precedes the subject. Instead they use the grammatical order of the phrases, where the subject precedes the verb. The only thing they do is to change the intonation of their voice to imply that is a question when they are speaking, or they place the question marks before and after the statement when they are writing.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ArslanAliA

thanks. ı need this.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Gini525375

This is exactly what I need (yo lo necissito). Gracias!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/eichgi
eichgi

It's great for english learners too, thanks for that!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AnnaJ16
AnnaJ16

Very helpful, THANK YOU !

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/OberjarlPotter

Thanks! This helped a lot man! Keep it up!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/badhon998

OMG thank you thats pretty deep.... thank you thank you

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/irvin.y.zh

Thanks for the guide! I'm looking forward to making good use of it.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Georgieboy12

I cant thank you enough this is really helpful wow it was nice for you to spend the time to do that Gracias amigo

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Yolo_Nugget_123

THis is awesome

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/xlSebas

Al ver todo lo que se tienen que aprender ustedes me quedo sorprendido xD

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kaci.Hill

You are amazing. Thanks!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ClaudiaX999

Spanish is my mother language, and I could see there are some mistakes with the translations and conjugations. I am trying to improve my english and think would be cool practice with somebody is learning Spanish.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/PinefrostLTU
PinefrostLTU

Nice

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gmaf12
gmaf12

Thanks, very helpful!!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Bernard912
Bernard912

really good work - helps getting a better understanding

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SamVanLuc

spanish is really easy

2 years ago

SAmVanLuc, if Spanish is easy for you, please share your your tricks to learn it!!!!! And write in Spanish, so we can help you in your mistakes as others help us with ours!!!!!!

It's the way to learn (btw, please correct this answer of mine)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Citlalli726907

I'm native spanish speaker if some one want to practice, será un gusto charlar :)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ljphoenixwatts

I would like to practice. I'm only "20%" fluent right now...

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ElementStar

Wow! This was so good! Thank you!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/cashwatersplash

Very interesting! It will help me thoward all my spanisg studies! My only thing to say exepct excellent is please make a german subjunctive guide!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/frankiebluej
frankiebluej

I second that! (If you can and if you have the time, that is.) please and thank you. ~frankiebluej

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SenolToygar
SenolToygarPlus

I can't see the images in which you show some lists I think. But your work is great, thank you.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/lisaandtim
lisaandtim

Thanks for posting that! Subjunctive is difficult...just need to hear it and be immersed in the culture, for it to become more natural.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Elgatobandido
Elgatobandido

Thanks for the list.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're welcome!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Elizabeth261736

This is just what I needed. 10 lingots for you!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Thank you, and you're welcome :)

3 years ago

jfGor

Thank you. this is very nice and a lot of work.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/eluna354

"Creo que japonés es un idioma fácil"

I believe this should still be subjunctive due to the fact that you are saying something still with unsurety.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You'd think so, but with this phrase in the positive aspect the indicative is always used, whether or not you're 100% certain.

“I think..." infers a lot more certainty than “I don't think...”

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/eluna354

I see, I checked my textbook as well and you are correct. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for replying!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

That's alright, glad to clarify :)

3 years ago

Nadya222

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the equation (as we say, here in the States).

You are actually right! One CAN write it both ways:

"Creo que japonés es un idioma fácil."

"Creo que japonés sea un idioma fácil (de aprender)."

The SECOND of the two sentences, above, is like the following English sentence:

"I believe that Japanese MAY BE an easy-to-learn language."

(In English--and I can only speak for American English--the words "may be" indicate a belief that MAYBE something will turn out as expected: it expresses a hopeful, optimistic expectation, where "only time will tell".)

ANOTHER, similar sentence has the words "tal vez" added:

Creo que tal vez sea un idioma fácil de aprender el japonés.

Creo que tal vez sea japonés un idioma fácil de aprender.

Creo que tal vez japonés sea un idioma fácil de aprender.

I have seen all three of the above variations, in written Spanish. NOTE: When you "throw in" the words "tal vez", it becomes self-evident that you are talking about something that you believe is PERHAPS true (and thus the subjunctive is used):

"I believe that, perhaps, Japanese may be an easy-to-learn language."

3 years ago

frankenstein724

in spite of what we can do in English, it is true that positive "creer" does not take subjunctive. It doesn't otherwise seem like it makes sense, but it's just how it works. creer does not take subjunctive, but "tal vez" and "quizas" do.

3 years ago

Nadya222

To stress, again, something that your textbook learning lacks:

My response is based on real-world conversations. I know you are trying to be forceful, here, but you are simply wrong. My real-world experience speaks 'volumes', here.

The "trigger words"-- "tal vez" and "quizás"-- simply are not a prerequisite for making the expression subjunctive, in the specific example that I used, above, (with the verb creer).

3 years ago

frankenstein724

I never said that tal ves and quizas are prerequisite for making an expression subjunctive. not once. As you may see in another response of mine before you see this one, my experience, too, is "real-world" conversations. I lived in Argentina for two years and spent 95% of my waking hours talking to natives.

3 years ago

Hey there Nadya222: Please watch out where you are throwing those monkey wrenches. One almost put out my eye. Us monkies are sensitive to wrenches you know. I like all your posts btw.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/m.tastic
m.tastic

Nice :D

3 years ago

adamyoung97

¡Gracias! :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Albrechtion
Albrechtion

Thanks so much! This is really helpful!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/TranVanHaiNam
TranVanHaiNam

Your work is awesome! Thank you a lot for doing this post ^^

3 years ago

adamyoung97

You're welcome!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Boku0
Boku0

Impressive! Thanks a lot!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/scarlecchino
scarlecchino

Omg this is exactly what I needed today! This is really helpful, thank you so much :)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Rahiil..

thats so good,for my starting .thanks a lot.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/oriol.borras

Thanks for the information

3 years ago

adamyoung97

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/000440

I love it thank you so much, Yo soy muy bien

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ferdo76
Ferdo76

Creo que esto vaya...va a ayudar a mucha gente ¡Bien hecho!

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Gracias :) Y ¡cuidado! Después de "Creo que..." y otras frases positivas así, no se utiliza el subjuntivo (pero si fuera "No creo que...", entonces sería completamente correcta) :)

3 years ago

Ferdo76

¡Gracias por corregirme!

3 years ago

Nadya222

What you just said was "I believe that this MAY help a lot of people." (Creo que esto vaya a ayudar a mucha gente.)

And, that, my friend, is adequate, all by itself!

Sometimes, "textbook Spanish" is just not enough.

Stick with your "gut" (your first impression), on this one!

3 years ago

frankenstein724

wait, what? So, in spite of the fact that in English this looks like subjunctive (and is), but as the OP has pointed out elsewhere, the use of "creer" in the positive sense does -not- actually take the subjunctive. This happens to be what the textbooks say, but there's a reason for that, it's what people do.

3 years ago

Nadya222

Like I have indicated, "textbook Spanish" is ONE thing; and, "real-world Spanish" is (or can be) quite another thing.

I have had several of my South American friends tell me, on more than one occasion, that BOTH (of these forms) are "real Spanish". In asking what the difference was, they replied that one is "injecting doubt into the equation", when one would otherwise be stating a FIRM BELIEF that SUCH-AND-SUCH WERE TRUE!

In other words--

Creo que = I believe that... (expressing a firm belief that...)

Creo que es así! (I --firmly--believe that it is so!)

Creo que sea así!* (I--firmly--believe that it MAY BE so!)

*The second of the two expresses a "firm belief in" the POSSIBILITY of something being true.

AND, BY CONTRAST--

No creo que sea así! (I don't believe it's so!) ---

---This is colloquial American English, whenever we use the word "so", like that.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

yes, I understand a difference between textbook spanish and real world spanish. I never learned textbook spanish, I became fluent by living with real world spanish by living in argentina for two years. It was only after those two years that I was ever exposed to, and subsequently taught in college, textbook spanish, so you don't need to lecture me on the difference.

On the other hand, each country is different, and even within a country there can be regional differences, so maybe it just so happens that what you say is commonly true, but that there may be places where it's not.

While we're here, using "so" like that is not "colloquial" American English, at least not anymore. How often do you -actually- hear people say "I don't believe it's so"? I would argue that it is actually in the more formal register in today's SE.

3 years ago

Nadya222

I "see" how argumentative you are. You can ramble on, all you want. You and I are done, here.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Sean_Toomey

WOW very nice do u teach Spanish?

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/NhatMinh2004

I started learning Spanish today.

3 years ago

Ferdo76

Then it will take some time before you will come to the point that this becomes relevant for you. ¡Que tengas mucha suerte!

3 years ago

Nadya222

Congratulations! You have begun a good journey! (Enjoy yourself along the way!)

3 years ago

frankenstein724

I'm sorry if anyone else has already said this, I'm not mentally prepared to wade through 89 comments. But, for anyone studying more than one language, it should be emphasized that this (quite thorough and wonderful) explanation of the subjunctive is specific to Spanish. many/most/all language have a subjunctive, but they don't all work exactly the same way.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

It's not fully specific to Spanish - a lot of features carry across to French, Portuguese, and Italian, too. For example:

English: “I don't think it will rain tomorrow“
  • French: “Je ne pense pas qu'il pleuve demain“
  • Spanish: “No creo que vaya a llover mañana“
  • Portuguese: “Não acho que chover amanhã“
  • Italian: “Non credo che piova domani“
English: “It's important that we be here“
  • French: “C'est important que nous soyons ici“
  • Spanish: “Es importante que estemos aquí“
  • Portuguese: “É importante que estejamos aqui“
  • Italian: “È importante che siamo qui“
English: “I want you to come“
  • French: “Je veux que tu viennes
  • Spanish: “Quiero que vengas
  • Portuguese: “Quero que venhas
  • Italian: “Voglio che tu venga

These are just a few of the similarities that there are between the three languages in their use of the subjunctive. Granted, there are differences, but these are less than the similarities.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

That's fine, I was simply pointing out that across all languages, there can be quite a variance in subjunctive. German is the example I have experience with. A lot of things you would use subjunctive for in Spanish, you simply don't in German...as far as I could get from my German professor, anyway. But anyway, again, just pointing out for the sake of interest.

3 years ago

adamyoung97

German does have a different subjunctive, I agree.

One form is used for reported speech, like “Er sagte, er komme nicht” - “He said that he wasn't coming”

The other is used in the hypothetical sense, like “Ginge es mir besser, wäre ich in die Stadt gegangen“ - ”If I were (feeling) better, I would have gone into town“

3 years ago

Talca

When you apply to Harvard, take a screen shot of this 300+ comment discourse and your handiwork.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/iinka

I think that is why it was posted under the "Spanish" topic, and given the subject "Spanish Subjunctive Guide"

3 years ago

frankenstein724

that's fine, I'm simply pointing it out as a point of interest.

3 years ago

Nadya222

And, I might add that "the subjunctive" is almost completely ABSENT, from the English language! Even the "Millennials" (which is the generation born around the beginning of this new millennium) are bastardizing the English language, by not using the subjunctive, with the verb "to be".

Here is an example of how "the subjunctive" is dying out, in English:

"If I were you, I would not hike into the woods, alone." [CORRECT]

"If I was you, I would not hike into the woods, alone." [INCORRECT]

__

"If Jason were able to go anywhere he liked, where would he go?" [CORRECT]

"If Jason was able to go anywhere he liked, where would he go?" [INCORRECT]

And, the above are just two examples, among MANY, where the young people of today (speaking about U.S. citizens, here) are ignoring the subjunctive and "morphing the [English] language into one which, eventually, will have no subjunctives, at all!"

3 years ago

frankenstein724

please, there's no such thing as "bastardizing" a language. Languages change, they evolve, that's what they do. Many languages lose features as they go on. This change to losing the subjunctive has been slowly going on since long before the millenials got here. Even if we spoke what you would probably consider to be "perfect, proper English", people from a century or two back would think that what you're speaking is an abomination (but they would be wrong, too).

3 years ago

Nadya222

Why did you put the word "bastardize" within quotation marks? I assume you don't know what this word means. I gave several good examples of young people "arbitrarily" changing the English language.

You can ramble on and on, if you wish.
I am not interested in entertaining you, in your ramblings. Like I wrote, above, you and I are "done", here.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

I'll keep responding for as long as you do :). I put bastardize in quotes, because it is your word, not mine, and it doesn't matter what young people are doing to change the English language, they are not bastardizing it, they are merely helping it change. Those changes in no way debase a language, because the idea that a language in and of itself can be debased or corrupted in the sense you mean is stupid.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Corudos
Corudos

Ah, an anti-prescriptivist. But why shouldn't someone be able to make a value judgment about different forms of a language? Just because linguists do not?

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/huynhucho
huynhucho

a

3 years ago

frankenstein724: I believe you are mistaken due to not having examples of what was meant by the term that Nadya222 used. I see this as the younger generations are not putting the importance into what the traditional language is or was and has been and yes with some changes now and again. However, what has transpired throughout time is a debasement of the language as a whole. If you truly can not see that and hold to your notions, so be it. People have the right to be wrong.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

because there is nothing to be valued. The value society gives different forms are entirely superficial and meaningless. People talk about how English is being "corrupted" as if language change is bad...but the fact of the matter is that language change is constant. adults of, say, 75 years ago would say that today's English is a corruption. The adults of 150 years ago would say that the English of the adults of 75 years ago is a corruption. as would the adults of 225 years ago about the English of 150 years ago. and on and on until we've gotten back to some language that would be the predecessor of English. But, that is natural, every language goes through this kind of thing, why is that corruption?

3 years ago

Nadya222: I would use the word corrupting, just for the reason that people might understand it more readily. But, to each their own. I agree that the younger generations are missing the mark, sometimes literally. Leaving off puntuation marks for example. In text messages and notes to your friends I can see reason for saying some things like: btw. brb. thk u and a host of other abbreviations. Then there is the slang... Well, there are those who also want to have good jobs, better relationships with friends and such, so they take the time to learn and use the language more appropiately. So, I am just taking the long route to say I agree with you.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

but who is to say what is correct, and why do they get to decide?

3 years ago

Talca

Facebook: the place where English goes to die.

3 years ago

Ouch! I sometimes say the incorrect "was" from your examples. I was born in the country, lived on a farm and didn't always hear the best English.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/bluesocksTN
bluesocksTN

Nadya, I am not going to quibble over your use of the term 'bastardize', but I can tell you that you are wrong about the subjunctive disappearing from the English language. Among the speakers of any language there are those who take care to use it properly and those who do not. I hear the English subjunctive used, and use it myself, all of the time.

Also, you say, 'Even the Millennials are bastardizing the English language.' I would say they are the greatest offenders in any language. Have you never attempted to read through the comments on a site like You Tube? If you had done so, you would have found that other languages are 'bastardized', abused, or just plain butchered, to a degree that rivals any such misuse of the English language.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/covinm
covinm

Thank you thank you thank you. There are a few tenses that are really difficult for me and this is SO incredibly helpful. I appreciate it :D

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/greendragon6

good job

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gaggi_kaler
gaggi_kaler

What is your native language?

3 years ago

adamyoung97

English :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gaggi_kaler
gaggi_kaler

That is really impressive. Your knowledge of Spanish and Italian grammar is top notch.( I assume that you wrote all of this by yourself)

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Yep :) And thank you!

3 years ago

¿cómo aprendiste español? ¿era un proceso rápido?

3 years ago

adamyoung97

Prácticamente solo con Duolingo. Ahora tengo clases de español en el líceo, pero para alcanzar el nível suficiente para comenzar en un nível más alto, solo utilice Duolingo. Y para mí, sí, era rápido.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/yelelle
yelelle

Great ! Excellente! Muchas gracias, me ayudo tan enorme ! Olé, olé y oleee... voy a guardar!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ale-Kilmurray

hola! la expresión "me ayudo tan enorme" es incorrecta, en su lugar usted podría decir: 1) Me ha sido de mucha ayuda. 2) me ha ayudado mucho. 3) me ayudo mucho

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Pip961199

Thanks this is really helpful

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Eyder5000
Eyder5000

hello

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/GrantSwanson0

hello

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/LeoFordan
LeoFordan

I'm pretty new to this Español stuff, so please help me. I am confused. At the start it says for yo, it should end with a. But but why? I have been taught that it's o, like Yo bebo leche, Yo como pan, for present tense.

3 years ago

LupoMikti

Because this is the subjunctive mood. The mood you are referring to is called the indicative. The start of this post goes over what the subjunctive is and when it is used. I suggest rereading it and if you still don't understand, finding other sources online to help explain it.

Basically, the difference boils down to factual, verifiable information (indicative) vs doubtful, hypothetical, opinionated information, subjunctive (this is an oversimplification, but it'll do for now). Other languages, like Spanish, specify the subjunctive mood with differing conjugations for the verbs. English's subjunctive is weird in that a lot of it is implied and taken care of by already existing tenses (for example, subjunctive past looks the same as indicative past in English, for the most part).

The English subjunctive is only really present in phrases that would sound overly formal to the modern native speaker. Examples are "If I were president,…" or "If he were here right now,…". Notice how the conjugation is different. Usually, we use "am/was" with I and "is/was" with he/she/it. The subjunctive shows itself in the use of a different conjugation. It's the same for Spanish, they just have more conjugations and rules than English.

Hope this helps you at least a little and good luck in your studies.

~Lupo

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/LeoFordan
LeoFordan

Oh okay. I'm not there yet, I still have to pass the past tense part. I'll cross that bridge when I get there :) Mucho gusto :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/JoeyT13

javascript:;

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/macocancinos
macocancinos

SALUTON ADAMYOUNG (JOVEN ADAN) FELICITACIONES ADAM, POR SU APORTACIÓN. ESCRIBE MUY BIEN EN ESPAÑOL Y VEO QUE TAMBIEN ES UN ESTUDIANTE AVANZADO EN ESPERANTO. ESCRIBA EN ESPERANTO Y TRADUCIDO AL ESPAÑOL O INGLÉS. PARA APRENDER UN POCO MAS DE USTED. SO LONG.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SajanFriel

You spelt 'elegir' wrong dude

3 years ago

SajanFriel: Who were you addressing or writing to when you said, "You spelt elegir wrong dude?" It is easier to notice who you are talking to if you put their name in the post. I didn't see anyone whose name is "dude."

3 years ago

jfGor

I know he is talking to the OP for miss-spelling an infinitive, but the use of Dude here is inappropriate. Your advice is spot on. I am una mujer and I can't stand to be called 'Dude', or 'man'. Anyway it is my personal opinion , that the use of 'Dude' is very passé. I did send a post to adamyoung97 about the miss-spelling.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/xJordiMGx
xJordiMGx

Good one!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/jhonyp14
jhonyp14

Buenas tardes ante todo. Io sono Jhony Pineda, hablo español ya que naci en Colombia una excolonia española de 1800 Despeus de Cristo, y garcias a dios a duolingoa prendi un grna vocabulario en la lingua italiana , y estoy practicando el nivel basico de inglesh que sé. Si tiene depronto alguna duda les peudo coloborar si no les moelsta, y mil disculpa por intrometerme en su blog....

Y al ragazzo o ragazza que publico estos verbos lo felicito seran de gran aiuta a tutto. Gracias buona tardi.

3 years ago

jfGor

Hi, you can always make a discussion topic for this in the Spanish Discussion Forum. That is , if you want to.

3 years ago

Oh that would be great! good idea

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MohammadNazmul

what u gonna do with dat dessert?? du bop dubade duop daba dub dop

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/sedmaka

Are the different imperfect endings (-ra vs -se) used in different countries/dialects? We've only ever learned one kind of imperfect subjunctive ending in school.

3 years ago

jfGor

All my grammar books show both, but it seems that the -ra ending is the most widely spread. It may be that certain regions and dialects of the Spanish language may favor one or the other. From what I understand, it is up to the choice of the speaker.

3 years ago

ElHeimPlus

Yeah... -ra is the dominant one in the Atlantic variety of Spanish, and also quite common in Spain out of written use.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kalleca
Kalleca

DANG that's a lot

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/elastrello

i

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DominikReDo
DominikReDo

https://www.duolingo.com/bonzabcn

Thanks!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KaitlynG_406

im just learning spanish well am soon to start to.... was wondering if someone could tell me if it is a hard language to learn..... thanks

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/flower_bean

This is really good and helpful. Keep it up!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/aleausCR
aleausCR

Man, I'm glad I was born speaking this language, otherwise it would be hell to learn these.

2 years ago

ElHeimPlus

Meh... Most the time you can get by knowing "presente de subjuntivo" of just ser, estar, haber and poder. Not that many :-)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Alex.Essilfie
Alex.Essilfie

It's good if you are a native speaker. It is very difficult to master subjunctives if your native language does not use the subjunctive (or if the subjunctive is conjugated like the regular tenses).

I'm an anglophone and I can attest to this. Subjunctives in French and Spanish are my weakest points.

2 years ago

Yes it is!!! We, native Spanish speakers, have our own difficulties with those grammar obstacles coming for not being languajes coming from the same origin (latin vs greek) Silly example: Long time not seen!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Alex.Essilfie
Alex.Essilfie

Haha! That's interesting.

I saw your comments from earlier stating you'd like to improve your English. Well, here is one; a correction of your passage:

Yes it is!!! We, native Spanish speakers have our own difficulties with those grammar obstacles coming from the languages not having the same origin (Latin vs Greek) Silly example: Long time not seen!

2 years ago

txs, yours is the first correction in many many texts in duolingo (with plenty of mistakes)... I was about to quit!!!!

2 years ago

I would love to practice with you. I am a 20% fluency. Not a lot, I know.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/virgilio931

hablo español y esto tambien me ayudo veo que el subjuntivo en ingles es muy facil de usar ya que casi no se usa tanto como en el español

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MoonS18

hey guys, i have a newbie question that's bothering me. at the first table he mentions the verbs and their different forms for example: the verb 'comer': yo coma , tu comas Etc. in the lessons i've encountered so far i saw that the proper way to write is yo como, and tu comes , ella come Etc.

what am i getting wrong here? please help.

2 years ago

Let me give you a hand (well, two):

. If you want grammar, please read adamyoung97's explanation, which is GREAT!

. If you want a trick, here you have one:

• If you can add QUERER QUE without losing the sense, as in "Es imposible que yo coma con el dolor de estómago que tengo", or "su madre quiere que coma el pescado pero el niño no quiere", it's subjunctive, that's the one ended in "a"

• If you cannot, that's it, iof you are stating facts, as in "yo como todos los días" o "el niño come pescado aunque no le gusta", tthen is the common tense.

In English it's not perceived but in certain verbs or tenses, and not used but in literature... or songs.... "If I were a rich man, dubidubi-dubidubi-....", "I suggest that he BE removed"

If you never use your own subjunctive ( as explained at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_subjunctive ), then I understand it's a hard tense to learn in Spanish... where it's used a lot.

¿Útil? (por favor corrige mi inglés)

2 years ago

Hello dear parafrances, your explanation was GREAT! thank you for the time you spent answering me, i find this extremly helpful. again, thank you so much :)!

2 years ago

Would you consider to correct my English? I'm learning, too

2 years ago

i'd be happy to, though i'm not a native speaker. most of your answer is written quite well. "If you want grammar, please read adamyoung97's explanation..."

a better way of saying this in my opinion is "if you wish to learn.." or " if you would like to learn"

• if you want grammer- dosent seem quite right.

again, I'm not that knowledgeable about grammer, i'm stating this corrections out of pure experience in the language so i can't help you with a grammatical point of view.

sorry if i have dissapointed you ^^

2 years ago

MoonS18, you haven't. I thank ervery single help.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/doriskeiser

thank you for doing this, I think t is very helpful. is there a way to print it? in the alternative, would you mind emailing it to me so I can print it?

2 years ago

you can copy paste is to Word, it looks the same.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/NumeroNueveGrand

this helped me so much gracias

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AsiariffiC

Very useful! I will come back to this once I'm skilled enough. This is like the 3rd time I tried to learn Spanish..

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AsiariffiC

Very useful! I will come back to this once I'm skilled enough. This is like the 3rd time I tried to learn Spanish..

2 years ago

Don't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have even 10 minutes, this program is the best...............I watch t.v. in spanish, listen to spanish music..........in addition to this, I tape papers that I see every day on my fridge, in bathroom, in spanish..that has helped:)

2 years ago

Don't give up! ¡El que la sigue, la consigue!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/marcusvini222

Ótimo

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/stevo983
stevo983

Thanks!!!!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/22nathy
22nathy

has hecho un testamento

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/abohanon
abohanon

Soy estudiante de español, estoy en el colegio :) No tengo blog, lo siento. ¡Y no hay de qué!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/espanita_bonita

Awesome guide! What I needed for this upcoming quiz. Thanks so much!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/mabbasi11

I know! That was a very helpful! This could take me a lot ahead of my class! !Gracias! Best lesson ever!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Bas5
Bas5

Great article, thank you. I can remember this from school, years ago.

A trivia for those who are interested: In the Dutch language they used the subjuntivo as well, but nowdays we don't use it anymore. I think, in that case ,the Dutch language has simplified. The subjuntive (or "aanvoegende wijs" in Dutch) is only used in old expressions and old Bilble texts. I am sure that other germanic languages used that as well. (English, German, Danish)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/EliKimchi

Thank you!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/CathyHoren

very helpful! Thank you!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KatCasey

This is super helpful! Thank you very much! :D

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/katie70777

Very helpful. Gracious.

2 years ago

Katie70777

I bet you sent your answer using your mobile, and your English corrector made that "gracious" out of your intended "gracias"!!!!!!!

Am I right?

2 years ago

haha yes. (si)

2 years ago

Are you an american or do you just speak English.

2 years ago

Im not American, I speak English (used to be British English), and European Spanish,

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/JonWhite12

Thank you for your help. My brain was pretty mixed up on the uses of subjunctive, but the good part is that some of these , though obscure can be looked up on this site. It has been a while since I tookn any school Spanish and I needed a refresher.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/akoakini
akoakini

aqui hay de todo

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Emilygardn4

estas pero si bien pendejo

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/_heibiii_

still cant speak spanish

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Oldie2015
Oldie2015

¡Muchas gracias! I hope I'll be able to use this guide someday.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ratakoolta
ratakoolta

Quite useful!

2 years ago

This is a very helpful guide. Thank you.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/akll0
akll0

thank you

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/mir4rsenal

what's the difference between hablo and hable ? I know the meaning of that word, what I mean here is it the word use for boy or girl or neutral ?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/FlorDelK
FlorDelK

Hablo is the indicative form, and hable is the subjunctive form. Spanish verbs are't gender-specific.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/mir4rsenal

Thank you !

2 years ago

This is what I needed-thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my biggest tackle with Spanish. Amazing work! :)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/N8-0
N8-0

Not totally sure, but I think another irregular verb for subjunctive would also be 'ir'. At least, that was how I was taught.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/lagatathecat

Le tomó mucho tiempo para que lea esto, pero fue realmente útil. Buen trabajo, y gracias ! ¡Maullar!

2 years ago

lagatathecat

Creo que lo que lo que se quería decir es esto:

(a usted, a adamyoung97 )Le tomó mucho tiempo escribir esto, pero fue realmente útil. Buen trabajo, y gracias ! ¡Miau!

(a mí, a lagatathecat) Me tomó mucho tiempo leer esto, pero fue realmente útil. Buen trabajo, y gracias ! ¡Miau!

Explicaciones:

• "para que lea"

uso: "se lo doy para que lea" pero " quiero leer esto"

• "maullar" vs "miau"

cuidado con el diccionario:

TO meaw= verb= action of making the sound of the cat = "maullar"

meaw! = exclamation = sound of the cat = "¡Miau!"

THE meaw =noun = namee of the sound of the cat = "maullido"

p.s.- I always recommentd to check the dictionary in both ways , and read the examples of use the dictionary offers

¿Útil?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Bart41

Muchísimas gracias por la ayuda. Es bueno que clarificaras este tema bien perfecto

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/LanceAlKentarnu
LanceAlKentarnu

Pretty godo :) salid by a nativo spanish speaker

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Wolf10118

This Is So Fun :)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/joljols
joljols

Thank you very much for this very useful guide!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/dramirezag

Wow, I didn't see it that way. I am a native spanish speaker and When I made a language exchange with a native english speaker, He said that he had troubles with the subjunctive mode, I did know what he meant, Then he gave some examples and I knew what he was talking about. For me it was very easy and natural, nothing special. Maybe it is the same for you guys regarding to the english language.

2 years ago

Hi, My father was an English teacher...he said it is one of the most difficult languages because of the rules; there are things you say, but it is just how it is...no rhyme or reason. I have trouble with the "I would have," or " I could have".....I have found that knowing latin helps alot also, you can figure out alot of words.. I took german in college and also lived in Poland..........Polish is harder !!!!!!!!!!!!! jajajaja

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/salsh7619

I am still a little confused about the whole subjunctive thing, but not as confused as before. Is any other way you could explain this?

2 years ago

LunaPerro I can tell you that you ALWAYS use subjunctive :

• after CUANDO (cuando+ present) ----- as in "when you be ready"

• after SI (cuando + past ) ---- as in "if I were a rich man, dubi dubi dubi dubi....."

Because English also has a subjunctive form ;-)

Útil?

2 years ago

tolunayo

It is true that some adverbs are always used with subjunctive but 'cuando' is not one of them. There are situations where you use indicative form with 'cuando'.

Here is a my post on 'cuando' that I did last summer with example sentences:

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/9343612

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vutranmyha

hi thank you

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/komokulshan

cool

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/sbenz1
sbenz1

Loved it .By the way how long did it take you to write that it was very impressive!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Mrs.SashaFierce

wow that asome

2 years ago

Mrs.SashaFierce, here you have my correction:

Wow! That's awesome!

Useful?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ChocolateWish14

Gracias!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ricky-rick

Thank you so muc

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/__ezra_

that was great just wondering if you could post something on possession because i have trouble with that

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SkyFox11

Gracias por su ayuda con esta subjecto dificil y complicada.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/PrisonBreaker
PrisonBreaker

That's amazing thank you so much

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/SoloTerry

it is really hard, but i am going to do it . thank you all guys

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/whiteal

This is great!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/l.Harm
l.Harm

I have a question for you

The song 'A Dios le pido' (Juanes) uses the subjunctive throughout the song. I understand most of them, except the ones in the refrain.

Que si me muero sea de amor y si me enamoro sea de vos y que de tu voz sea este corazón.

1 - I'd like a correct translation of this, since translation websites give different translations. 2 - And an explanation of why the subjunctive is used here.

Thanks in advance! Would help me a lot.

2 years ago

tolunayo

I am not a native speaker but I have spent a lot of time trying to learn uses of Subjunctive in Spanish. Last summer I have a series of posts on subjunctive that you may find useful: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/10162114

And I too find uses of subjunctive that does not seem to fall in previous patterns. Songs are particularly difficult when learning a foreign language because for artistic reasons and for fitting the melody the words are rearranged, omitted etc. For that reason, translation often is becomes more difficult even if you understand what is being expressed. What you found is a good one. I think I understand why you have to use subjunctive in these case.

Here is the full lyrics of the song: http://www.metrolyrics.com/a-dios-le-pido-letras-lyrics-juanes.html

I'm quoting the part below:

A Dios le pido

Y que si me muero sea de amor
Y si me enamoro sea de vos
Y que de tu voz sea este corazón
Todos los días a Dios le pido

You can think 3 of the lines that cover your question re-written as:

Y si me muero, [a Dios le pido que] sea de amor
Y si me enamoro, [a Dios le pido que] sea de vos Y [a Dios le pido] que [sea] de tu voz
[a Dios le pido] que [tu voz] sea [en] este corazón

Pedir is a verb like querer, desear that requires the use of subjunctive (wish/desire/want). You often can see statements like Que no te vayas omitting the verb that implies the subjective. In those situations, you can imagine a verb of request is preceding the word que. For example: Te pido que no te vayas.

So, the translation:

I prey to you my God:

if I die, be it from love,
and if I fall in love, be it yours,
and be it from your voice,
and that your voice be in this heart.
I prey to you every day.

Yes, the translation lose a lot of the poetry of the song but I hope you will be satisfied with my effort.

2 years ago

l.Harm

I also have a question for you ... excuse me but... what do you need that translation and explanation for? Please tell me... your request reminds me so much on students asking others to do their own homework....

Please send me a private guess of the correct replies you would give, and I will correct them ASAP.

note: If I'm wrong and that's not homework, please accept my excuses. If I'm not, remember that "teachers also surf the net"

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/l.Harm
l.Harm

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression to be a lazy student. I don't have any homework at the moment, being a graduated student. I just like to learn Spanish.

There are two things with Spanish verbs that are difficult or completely new to me. One of them is the imperfecto vs pretérito, I have difficulties when to use what. The second one is the subjunctive. I understand when it is used, also the conjugation is not that difficult, just the vowel changes.

One of the ways I try to learn Spanish is through listening Spanish songs. Yesterday I liked to go through some Spanish songs that I already knew and are/were famous. I immediately recognized the use of the subjunctive in 'A Dios le pido', which made me a little proud (not too much). Also in some sentences the indicative is used, but I could understand why which was also nice.

However, in the refrain it seems that because of the use of the subjunctive the whole meaning of the sentence changed, and I couldn't understand why. Of course I have an idea what it means or refers to, but I'm not sure whether it's correct, plus then I don't know because of what reason the subjunctive is used here. Hence my question.

But let's go the text itself and I will do what you proposed, which is give my own thoughts about the text.

'Que si me muero sea de amor y si me enamoro sea de vos'

The first part is quite straightforward.

'That if I die, ....'

Then it says '....sea de amor'. One translation says '..., it's because of love' and another one '...., be it from love'. Then I checked a Dutch one, which roughly translates to '..., it will be from love'.

So the meaning of the singer is to some extent clear to me. If he dies, love will be the cause (please confirm this, because I'm not sure). Then, I still have no clue why the subjunctive is used here.

The same goes for the second line. Something like 'and if I fall in love' followed by 'it will be with you'. Still no idea why the subjunctive is used here.

I hope you or someone else can help me out!

2 years ago

l.Harm

Thanks for the reply.... the students I know that ask others to do their homework don't consider themselves "lazy", but "clever" ;-)

The song is beautiful, and many times Spanish subjuctive present is translated into English simple present... because it has to, somehow: example: "que cuando MUERA, SEA de amor" = that when I DIE...."

Let me stop here: the first word of was i was taught "las tres palabras del verbo inglés" has four uses: infinitive, imperative, simple present AND subjuctive simple present. It just happens to be written alike, but when you say "when I die" you are using subjuctive... without noticing, he he.

Let's explain that in other way: when you use the verb "to be" (to be, was/were, been) you can tell more clearly, as that verb -the most irregular of all the English verbs- in the forist word the first word has ONLY THREE uses: infinitive, imperative and subjunctive simple present; the simple present is, as we all know, "am,are,is, are, are, are".

So, when using TO BE is clearly different:

• He doesn't want to be a good boy = no quiere ser un buen chico

• Be a good boy! = ¡Sé un buen chico!

• I want you to be a good boy = Quiero que seas un buen chico

• I am a good boy = Soy un buen chico

BUT when using any other verb, you have problems because all four tenses are writen exacly the same (NOT written all in present, as it is commonly said):

• He doesn't want to die

• Confess or die

• I want him to die

• I would rather die

Would you translate these last four sentences for me, l.Harm?

2 years ago

I hope my reply is helpful, l.Harm

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/EvBev1
EvBev1

interesting

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/mdpavelich

Thank you for this. I will refer back to it when I get there in my Spanish tree. I am functional in French but rarely if ever really use the subjunctive. It just hasn't stuck -- and native speakers have been forgiving. There are times when not really thinking about that I actually use it -- and correctly.

For example, I would never say:

Je veux que tu le fais.

But do manage the subjunctive without really thinking about it:

Je veux que tu le fasses.

For me, this has come from being immersed in French environments and mimicking the native speakers (yes, after some formal education/practice). I am hoping this will happen in Spanish for me too.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Italiano1234567

Very helpful, thanks

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Francisco598705

Él no ha comido nada. ¿Que no tenga hambre?

I am a native Spanish speaker from México, and I have never used the question above. I would usually say: "Que no tendrá hambre?" or "Que no tiene hambre?" - if I'm wondering, or referring to someone not near me.

2 years ago

a ver, dale contexto:

presente de subjuntivo:

. no es posible que no tenga hambre, lleva tres días sin comer.

presente de indicativo:

. dice que no tiene hambre, no le prepares más comida

futuro de indicativo:

. no tendrá hambre si hace un buen desayuno

¿Em México no se usa así?

2 years ago

"Que no tenga hambre?" por si solo no es propio. Sin embargo "no es posible que no tenga hambre." es valido.

2 years ago

Mira, pues igual que en España....

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AmazingGirlLove

I learnt that the verbs with -ir don't have things like -amos for nosotros but they have -imos so it would be: nosotros vivimos and not: nosotros vivamos!

2 years ago

tolunayo

What you said is correct for indicative mood. Vivamos is the correct conjugation for present subjunctive.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AmazingGirlLove

Ah! I get it now! Thanks

2 years ago

However, it is valid in the subjunctive:

Aunque nosotros vivamos, ellos moriran.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/faithscott0

can some one please follow me :-/

2 years ago

faithscott0, whatdo you want followers for?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/djkeogan
djkeogan

This is really useful. Thanks for putting it together.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/VasilVelchev
VasilVelchev

Gracias!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AndrewFabian1
AndrewFabian1

Very nice compilation of rules! One comment, though: I think that after the word "ojalá" the present subjunctive is used, not the imperfect subjunctive. Regards, Andrew

2 years ago

tolunayo

Both can be used. When you use past subjunctive you are indicating lower probability of the wish becoming a reality.

2 years ago

AndrewBeginner, Tolunayo

There is a subtle difference between "ojala seas" and "ojala fueras/fueses"

That difference, though, should be easy to learn for a person with a native or bilingual English, as they are related with the famous "first and second conditional"... in the part of the sentence where the verb is not conditional.

• "If you learn English, you will be able to read original versions of the books".

• "I hope you learn English" = "Deseo que/Ojalá aprendas inglés"

and

• "If you learnt English, you would be able to read original versions of the books".
  • "I wish you learnt English" = "Deseo que/Ojalá aprendieras/aprendieses inglés"

(Please, now YOU give examples corresponding to the "third conditional", and clarify to me why I am puzzled regarding "Had I been... " vs "If I had been..."(after using them both for many years as syns, someone told me one of them is not correct)

Please reply.

¿Util?

2 years ago

tolunayo

@parafrances: You are thinking too much in terms of translation. Focus instead on the future expectations of either statement. Yes, there is a difference but it is in terms of the likelihood of the wish/desire to actually turn real in the future.

Ojalá + present subjunctive is the standard wish and we have pretty high degree of conviction that the wish may come true.

Example: Ojalá [que] Juan venga a la fiesta

Ojalá + imperfect subjunctive is still a wish but the likelihood of that wish being granted is low or very unlikely.

Example: Ojalá [que] Juan viniera a la fiesta

The difference is similar to the difference between may and might in English. The following statements which does not involve Ojalá could help perceive the difference.

Es possible que venga hoy - It is possible he may come today

Es possible que viniera hoy - It is possible he might come today

2 years ago

@Tolunayo.

well... yes, I'm thinking in terms of translation because Duolingo asks for translations... not free translations.

I've read your entry and mine, and I wonder if you and I aren't giving different explanations to the same subtle differences between 'may' and 'might'... That would be great, because some readers would find your explanation the one they need, and others mine... ;-)

However these forums have vecome very stimulating... and I would love to see somebody correcting MY English... would you, Tolunayo?

Please...

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/REINHOLDKNAUER

GOOD JOB DUDE!!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Vidhi..

thank you so much !!i had been very doubtful in d words earlier

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Romulo.Np
Romulo.Np

Wow!! Very good!

2 years ago

abohanon

thx

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ElianBioGT
ElianBioGT

niiice

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/gymnast_megs

I thought this was very informative, although I already knew how to do subjunctives. The first chart is incorrect and I don't want people to get confused because it's wrong. You have the headers in the wrong spot because the "-ar" is with the "-er/-ir." Also, the "-er/-ir" endings are wrong because with "-ir," you use the endings "-imos" (for nosotros/nosotras) and "-is" (vosotros/vosotras). I hope that you can change this and don't think I'm being rude for correcting your hard work :)

2 years ago

ElHeimPlus

The chart is correct. You may be confusing it with the present of indicative.

2 years ago

Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm kinda dumb you know, so I think I was confusing it with conjugating verbs. Although, the chart still doesn't make sense. I still think that "-ar" should be switched with the other one, but whatever, what do I know. Sorry to confuse anyone and I'm sorry I didn't understand something.

2 years ago

ElHeimPlus

Nope, as I said, the chart is correct for the present in subjunctive mood. and I don't understand why someone gave me a negative point - my comment is not disrespectful or wrong!

2 years ago

I don't know why someone gave me a negative point because although I was wrong, it's not like I was being disrespectful, as you said. I genuinely thought a mistake had been made.

2 years ago

please gymnast_megs, keep in mind that Spanish is not English, you are referring to the rules of the indicative mood (statements I WILL BE 24 next week ) and here we are explainig very correctly and carefully the subjunctive mood (whatever WILL BE, will be) .

Now you try to translate my examples into Spanish... the spelling should be different.

¿Útil?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/4804154612

!Wow! really that is awesome. Are you a student or a teacher

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Melica1

Excellent! Thank you for posting.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kitty100_MC

Gracias! My iPad changed it to Gracie's XD. I am not a very fluent Spanish speaker but I am 37 % fluent apparently

2 years ago

Kitty100

Have you tried to add Spanish in the keyboard ...in your iPad? you can switch between languages depending on the language you are using... I find it quite useful myself (well, not now, I'm using my pc right now, but when using my mobile)

¿Útil? (please reply in Spanish so you practice....)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/CedricMendelsohn
CedricMendelsohn

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KrisKaleta
KrisKaleta

wow, dude. seriously. this is massive! I need to print it, it looks soooo helpful. gracias!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/michealcorleone1

thanks. These are useful information.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/EdwardSchmitt

great brief outline

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/YangSti

I hope I would understand this...

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/JasminTopete

yo se ablar espanol pero no se cuando usar las senas arriba de unas letras.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Robwith1
Robwith1

A whole lot of information. One problem I have is this and that. I just do not understand and I keep getting it wrong. Could you help me with this?Even though I can read Spanish, I am stunted when I see (ese,este.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MaddieRoark

Mi regla personal pa' Subjunctivo: "subjeto primero, dale un verbo. subjeto segundo, el subjunctivo"

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MonicaElsw

Very clear. Very helpful. Thank you.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Baloozaezzo_44

but what is the personal ending ???????

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/like92115

The personal (verb) ending refers to the endings that are put on verbs. We first learn the personal (verb) endings for the present indicative conjugation/meaning. We use "o" (yo hablo), "as" (tu hablas), "a" (el habla), amos (nosotros hablamos), and an (ellos hablan).

Conjugating verbs for the present subjunctive use different endings. Refer to the tables at the beginning of the article for details and examples. Those are the "personal (verb) endings".

I hope this helps.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/elastrello

J

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Jkeen37

Add me :))))))

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/cooldogiscool

yo raining lingots 50 plz

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Raininglingots

Here is 30 lingots

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/urnobbbbbb123

that's a lot, gimme some

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/JibranGessa

can someone give me lingots

3 years ago

I always gonna say: spanish is the most difficult language. I love my native spanish but seriously, even if you're a native spanish talker you have serious trouble once you move from area XD

3 years ago

ElHeimPlus

Try Finnish and let me know what you think...

3 years ago

Talca

Japanese

3 years ago

jfGor

Better to say 'I am always going to say'. However Spanish is not the most difficult of languages by far. Sorry!

3 years ago

jhonyp14

Buenos dias, tengo una duda quisiera saber para que sirven los lingotes ,que objetivo tienen usarlos. Y a los que estan aprendiendo español los feleicito se que no es facil por ser un idioma con muchas declianciones igual que al ingles pero con empeño lo pueden hacer...... Algo que me dado de cuanta que nosotros usamos conectores (en-la-los-etc) y en ingles (Lpalabra the resplaza muchas). GRACIAS

3 years ago

jhonypineda14: No vale nada los lingotes, dame todos tuyos. Algún día voy a constuir una casa de lingotes. Pues, en realidad los ligotes son buenos para ti. Tu puedes usar como dinero en la tienda Lingot Store... Y hay manera ganar más lingotes durante tus estudios aquí... También puede dar a un amigo aquí por una respuesta buena en su post... busca en este sitio: https://www.duolingo.com/show_store Abajo en esta página, hay una explicación como puede consiguir más lingotes. Disclupa mi broma y mi mal español. Soy un gringo mono.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/eva_beva

Sup peoples

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/jorgeespad2

fixe

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/laurasilva866351

hello

2 years ago

abohanon

I have to say your Spanish has to be quite good, because expressions like "no hay de qué", is the kind of expression your learn when you are fluent!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/classySASSYwoman

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/bovine
bovine

Hi, fully bilingual here.

Subjunctive is not important. This guide should not have been written in English.

Anyone who wouldn't understand the guide, were it written in Spanish, needs to improve their comprehension. That's more important than the subjunctive for the vast majority of people here.

Figure out how to use the verb 'haber' in its subjunctive tenses, and figure out how to do it quickly. The rest doesn't matter.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Ebonest

that is what i was thinking! i started by chatting in spanish. then, in two months, i decided to visit spain and spoke a slow, influent spanish there. i haven't had to use much past tense or subjunctive forms thanks to the verb haber. later on, as i improve my spanish, i realize that if i had grasped subjunctive form of haber, i would have been able to express most of the things i needed at that time.

3 years ago

Talca

Haber rules. Viva haber.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Phinieb

The verb vivir: yo vivo el vive ella vive nosotros vivimos, ellos viven. as far as I know there is no verb 'viva' unless you are referring to a celebratory gesture.

3 years ago

frankenstein724

what? were you not paying attention to the lesson? yo viva, tu vivas, ella viva, nosotros vivamos, ellos vivan are the present subjunctive forms of vivir. it's not a matter of there not being a verb "viva", it's that "viva" is a particular conjugation of the verb vivir, that can be used in many more ways than a celebratory gesture.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Elgatobandido
Elgatobandido

Is this correct?:
Dudo que la tienda tenga mi pescado favorito.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/drugidomwpolsce

Yes, that is correct!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/lola.fernandez

yes

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kapila1

Yes, its totally correct

3 years ago

jhonyp14

Corecta sus conjugaciónes con el verbo vivir! Le peudo colaborar con el pasado (Yo viví, tu vivistes, el vivio, ella vivio, nosotros vivimos,ellos vivieron.

3 years ago

jhonypineda14 try to be accurate when teaching, please.

presente the indicativo (the most used, simple present)

yo vivo, tú vives, él vive, nosotros vivimos, vosotros vivís, ellos viven

presente the subjuntivo (the object of this thread, the-very-difficult-to-learn-one tense, the one that should always follow "cuando" or "que" )

yo viva, tú vivas, él/usted viva, nosotros vivamos, vosotros vivais, ellos/ustedes vivan

But the past tense you are offering isn't either subjunctive or present. AND appart for not belonging to this discussion, you are making mistakes, the kind of mistakes that make learners say "pues tiene que estar bien porque me lo dijo un nativo...." :-) :-) . We native speakers are not always correct when speaking, I'm afraid!!!!!!

y te faltan los acentos, y es "viviste", lo correcto es "viviste"*

Se dice mucho con la ese, también por aquí la gente habla de "un taxis", pero correcto no es, y no se debe escribir (de mi profesora: "habla como quieras, pero escribe correctamente")

Useful?

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/fnguedes
fnguedes

muy bueno

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RossioSheets

no te olvides el acento ortográfico en tiempo pasado, para ladra y 3reas personas: yo viví, el y ella vivió. es lo único que te falto. gracias.

2 years ago

thanks, tendré mas cuidado.

2 years ago

jfGor

No lo entiendo. La guía se refiere a la presente subjutive tensa, no el pasado. Perdone mi mal español.

3 years ago

jhonyp14

No ,fresco yo le entiendo este tiempo pasado no tiene nada que ver en este tiempo, solo queria que lo supieran no mas, y apesar de todo esta bien redactado su español, todo bien, No se si le moleste le corrijo su frase (No lo-le entiendo. La guia se referiere-demutesra ect. el presente - No a la presente . de resto esta bien felicidades.

3 years ago

jhonyp14

No se si ya se dio cuenta que en español igual que otros idiomas sus palabras pueden ser masculinas o femeninas de lo cual carece el ingles, No soy profesor pero me gusta ayudar a otros a aprender mi idioma. Le dejare estos ejercios pequeños y si queire me mandan la respuesta aca mismo.

Niño (Boy) El niño - Los niños (Masculino) Niña (Girl) La niña - Las niñas (Femenino)

Como quedaria en plural de: El lapiz ?, El edificio ?, La cortina ?, El diccionario?, El libro?.....Gracias hasta pronto!

3 years ago

los lápices, los edificios, las cortinas, los diccionarios, los libros.

2 years ago