1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Norwegian (Bokmål)
  4. >
  5. "En høyskole gir yrkesutdanne…

"En høyskole gir yrkesutdannelse."

Translation:A university college gives professional education.

May 29, 2015



after 20 minutes of trying to pronounce "yrkesutdannelse" I gave up, its either this 5 year old microphone or I should work around never using this word!


cheer up ! You ll do it !!


I'm going to admit I'm extremely confused by "høyskole".

I put "A university gives professional education" as the translation for "En høyskole gir yrkesutdannelse" & it was marked incorrect, but the correct answer Duo gave was "A college gives professional education" with a secondary answer of "A university college gives professional education."

So, I'm really not understanding what "en høyskole" is; I don't think it's equivalent to high school (grades 9-12 in the states), but it doesn't seem to be correct to say university either? (The place where you'd obtain a bachelor's degree & later a master's degree?)

Also what in god's name is a university college?


Update: Duo doesn't accept "high school" as a translation for "høyskole" either, nor does it accept "trade school," so I really am at a complete loss to what this word means.


It's an educational institution at the tertiary level, the same as universities. Usually they are more practical, training you for a specific profession such as teaching, nursing, engineering or accounting. Typically you get a bachelor's degree from a "høyskole", but some also offer higher degrees.

A lot of høyskoler are now turning themselves into universities, just as polytechnics in the UK did some years ago.


I'd say the closest American equivalents to en høyskole would be a junior college, a trade school, or a technical school. It's a tricky word to translate, because the educational systems are so different everywhere. I can only imagine how many different acceptable translations Duolingo must have for any sentence containing this word! :-)


I am just wondering does this college mean university or high school or something else? thanks


The main problem is that the Norwegian school system isn't mirrored 1:1 by the US or the UK school system. But I think the American "college" is the thing that comes closest. Both US colleges and Norwegian høyskoler give access to bachelor's degrees, among others. I think the Norwegian høyskoler are pretty similar to Dutch hogescholen, which are also called HBO (Hoger Beroepsonderwijs: higher vocational education), and from my experience as a freelance translator, I know that the accepted English translation for HBO is "higher vocational education". When the systems don't match up, translation becomes really awkward. I believe "college" is the right choice in this case to keep it simple, even though it doesn't fully capture what a "høyskole" is.


Thanks for the thorough answer, although there will still be problems using only one such a translation, for in other English-speaking countries it means different things. For example in Britain "college" is part of your secondary education, and in Australia it tends to refer to the on-campus residence of a university.


Yeah, and that's exactly what the whole problem is. In France, "collège" is what Americans would call "highschool" and the French "lycée" is what Americans would call "college". However, through Hollywood, I think everybody around the world is familiar with what the American "college" is so that's a pretty safe bet for this course. :)


"Lycée" translates to "high school" (grades 10 to 12, ages are about 15-18). The French "collège" is similar to "middle school" or "junior high school": grades 6-9, students are 11 to 15 years old. And the American "college" doesn't really have an equivalent in French, we only have universities or "schools". But as you said, thanks to Hollywood, most people get what a "college" is!


Wrong. In the UK, college is part of your tertiary education. Primary education is up to Key Stage 3, Secondary is High School up to your GCSEs, Further Education (ie College) is Tertiary Education and University is 'Higher Education'.


Norwegian Høyskoler are roughly equivalent to what used to be called Polytechnics in the UK, for anyone old enough to remember those :)


"Høyskole" provides tertiary education. They typically provide professional education such as business, engineering, nursing, teaching etc.


"Høyskole" is similar to a university, but universities are usually advanced academically than it. The best translation might be "Hochschule", which is German. An example of this type of school is the Norwegian School of Economics.


University = 180 ECTS (3 yrs). Høyskolen = University of Applied Sciences. Usually lasts 4 yrs aka 240 ECTS. (but there are also 3 yr studies) University is higher than høyskolen.


university is not higher than university college, the difference is about the amoutn of research done by the institution. even the university college of oslo and akerhus offers master and doctorate degrees


can someone break down "yrkesutdannelse" to its root word/s? thanks. :)


Yrkes = profession's
Utdannelse = education

Utdannelse, incidentally, can be broken down further (though I don't think I'd recommend it) into:

Ut = out
Dannelse = formation


hello, you give 2 different translations for the word yrkesutdannelse, to wit "technical education" and "vocational education". I that case they should both be accepted I feel. But maybe there is a subtle difference that I do not catch?


There is a very slight difference, but also a lot of crossover between the two.

Vocational education in English usually refers to hands-on training in a particular career, for example hairdressing, nursing, teaching, car maintenence.

Technical education usually refers to training where you go more into the science behind the career, rather than just the practicalities of how to do it. The typical example is something like computer programming, or software design.

Clearly there is a lot of variation between and within the different careers, with some people taking a more practical route, and others a more technical route, depending on their goals and their personal learning style. I think in Norwegian, 'yrkesutdannelse' tends to get used to cover all types of non-university career training, which is probably why the translation offers both. This is also true of the English 'vocational', at least in the UK (there are a lot of regional variations in all levels of education!).


utdannelse means education


University and college are used synonymously in English and aren't require to be used together

Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.