I was just wondering if this is what one says at the end of a bad date.
A comedian after finishing a stand up routine to a bunch of angry drunks.
"pardonpetas" is a verb. "pardonon" is, itself, a phrase that has to be memorized.
Mi pardonpetas: Mi=I, pardonpetas= am sorry.
Pardonon is short for 'Mi petas pardonon': Mi=I, petas=ask for, pardonon=forgiveness
Or as a more common English phrase, "I beg your pardon" or "beg pardon" for short.
The way I see it is like this: Pardonon is used when you are either in the way or someone is in your way and you're trying to get through, so, you would use pardonon more like excuse me. Just an acknowledgement that you're trying to get through or to get someone's attention/giving someone a chance to reword something rude they said to you. Pardonpetas is literally an apology. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. You wouldn't say: Excuse me, I hurt your feelings. The other person is well aware of that. Haha.... I hope this helped! :)
I did something kind of similar the other day. I think it's a desire to keep you into the more simple structures-- "My apologies" has the same MEANING as "I apologize," but structurally it's pretty different. It would be turning apologies into a noun and adding the possessive-- and that's something you don't even learn until later lessons.
Basically, I think they don't want you equating different types of sentence structures to each other even when they have the same colloquial usage.
I was wondering the same thing. Just an oversight? Or is that wrong in some way?
only 2 years have passed. I had a lot of time to come up with an answer))
No, because Duolingo tends to use the literal/verbatim translations. In case of my bad the translation is mia kulpa (though not a song by Enigma) and it is about the confession of guilt.
But the original sentence is about asking for forgiveness;) that is why my bad .. is not a good option.
Useful phase for when you lean in the 90% but she doesn't come the remaining 10%.
Should be fine there, though "begging your pardon" is probably closer (and still valid English.
Haha :D Sounds at bit like something an esperanto-speaking villain would say, right before (attempting) to fire his "exterminator" at the hero of an action movie.
yes. But "good night" is made of 2 words, therefore they are written separated
This is unrelated to the statement being discussed, but can anyone tell me how you find your fluency score?
I think that fluency scores are only available to languages out of beta (as far as I'm aware). Once Esperanto reaches that point, you'll be able to see one. :D
Peti means to request. Pardoni means to excuse.
I think a better english translation of "Mi pardonpetas kaj bonan nokton." would be " Excuse me, and good night."