when to use the "soft sound" character?
Are there general rules for when to use ь? I continue to never hear it and therefore can't spell it.
The rules say that you have to use it after д, т, з, с, ц, л, н when they are soft. So you need to hear that a consonant is soft in order to spell a word correctly. Common "places" for soft sign are:
- suffixes ськ, зьк, цьк - український (Ukrainian)
- suffixes -еньк-, -оньк-, -есеньк-, -ісіньк-, -юсіньк- - малесенький (tiny)
- in verbs that end in ться - збирається (getting ready, going to)
- in verbs before ся - станься (imperative of happen)
Soft sign can never be put
- after б, п, в, м, ф, р, ж, ч, ш, щ
- between doubled consonants - волосся (hair)
Thank you Vinnfred/Mirka. Where did you get this? From within the course? Could you post a link to it?