"What is that object?"
Translation:Kio estas tiu objekto?
8 CommentsThis discussion is locked.
- Kio estas tiu objekto? - What is that object?
- Kiu estas tiu objekto? - Which is that object?
- Kio estas tiu? - What is that [object]?
- Kiu estas tiu? - Which is that [object]?
- Kio estas tio? - What is that [mess]?
The variant "Kiu estas tio?" doesn't seem to make any sense.
I think this would be a lot easier to understand if English had a demonstrative thich contrasting with that in analogy to which contrasting with what. As this is not the case, it may help to think of it this way:
- kiu = which one
- tiu = that one
- ĉiu = every one
- iu = some one
- neniu = no one
I wrote it in two words in all cases as a reminder that unlike ordinary English everyone, someone, no one, but like which one and that one, -iu can refer to specific objects as well as people.