Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/VincentOostelbos

Alternative words in "Mark all correct translations"-type questions

VincentOostelbos

In the questions where you are asked to mark all correct translations, in the cases where only one is acceptable (which is almost all of them, which in itself is fine by me), the one that is correct is always the one that uses the 'default' variety of a word or phrase, as it was taught in the course, before. For example,

Question: "Adamo has a three-year-old son."

Answers: 1. "Adamo havas tri-jaraĝan filon." 2. "Adamo havas 3-jaraĝan bopatrino." 3. "Adamo akvon 3-jaran filon."

"tri-jaraĝan" was the form that we were shown before, which I referred to as the 'default' variety, but I suppose "3-jaraĝan" isn't wrong either (and probably would be marked as correct in the type of question where you have to type the Esperanto). Perhaps the same is true for "3-jaran" or "tri-jaran", I'm not sure.

However, the ones with the non-default varieties will always be the ones where something else is wrong, with another word having been replaced (filon -> bopatrino; havas -> akvon). That's a shame, as that way you will never need to really think about it, and you are less likely to learn the alternative versions.

I think it would be better if there were no such correlation. I'm not sure if it's something for the Esperanto course specifically, or if it's something that's encoded in Duolingo more generally; in the latter case, I'd be posting this in the wrong place, and I'd be happy if you would let me know. In the former case, however, I hope you'll consider changing the way this works.

Thanks! Loving the course, overall—it's quality.

Vincent

3 years ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/flootzavut
flootzavutPlus

I think this is a Duolingo-wide issue, not an EO issue. I agree it would be good if the choice of sentences was a little more challenging!

3 years ago