"The cook plays the violin."
Translation:De kok bespeelt de viool.
Why is it sometimes "speelt" and other times "bespeelt"? What's the difference?
- spelen = to play a game, the skill of playing an instrument, the act of playing an instrument (not linking to a specific instrument/object (my violin, the piano over there), but the type of instrument (the violin)
- bespelen = to play an instrument, the act of playing an instrument (you could say playing/influencing a specific instrument/object e.g. the violin one is holding now), to manipulate someone
To use "bespelen" one needs to link to a specific instrument/object, to use "spelen" one normally refers to the type of instrument, compare the sentences below:
- zij speelt viool - she plays the violin/she can play the violin (the skill)
- zij is viool aan het spelen - she is playing the violin (the act of playing)
- zij bespeelt de viool/zij is de viool aan het bespelen - she is playing the violin (the act of playing)
- zij bespeelt de onschuldige vrouw - she is manipulating the innocent woman (I think in English one can say "play someone like a violin")