1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Norwegian (Bokmål)
  4. >
  5. "Moren min gir en presentasjo…

"Moren min gir en presentasjon høyskolen."

Translation:My mother is giving a presentation at the college.

June 11, 2015



In the Netherlands, we have the same, Hogeschool and Universiteit. The distinction is that the Hogeschool teaches mainly the same material as the Universiteit but at an applicable and practical level with internships being a must, whereas the Univesiteit teaches the material at a theoretical level. The addition is that a Universiteit teaches academically (research statistics, mathematics etc). Usually the requirements to enter a Hogeschool are lower than those of a Universiteit. Furthermore a Hogeschool (= Høyskolen) is called a university of applied sciences in English while a Universiteit (=Universitet) is called a university.


It is exactly the same in Switzerland. "Høyskole" is called "Fachhochschule" and "universitet" is called "Universität".


The problem for American language learners is how can I understand what høyskolen means? Most Americans do not understand the technical distinction between colleges and universities that is made in England, Norway, and Germany. As an undergraduate I went to what officially was called Harvard College, but when we told other people where we went, we said "Harvard University," because for most people the distinction between college and university was that colleges are small institutions and universities are big ones. So knowing the official Norwegian translation into English of the official names of Norwegian institutions does not solve the problem of misunderstanding.

Since it is not a goal of duolingo to explain the structure of "institutions of higher learning" as they are called in American English, the American student will be mystified why "university" is the wrong translations of something called "college," The term "vocational school" in America has been used to describe special high schools for young people who are school failures and could not meet the minimum requirements for going to "college." Or a "vocational school" was sometimes an institution associated with the rehabilitation of juvenile delinquents.

I see no solution to such problems for duolingo. Often translations of terms of one language to another cannot be exact and or have the same connotations. .


I bet those failures going to the vocational school'll be making considerably more than most of the ones on their high horse with a 100000$ piece or paper qualifying them for unemployment


Well, when looking at the semantics (as well as legal requirements at least in Germany), a UNIVERSity needs a universal scope in its courses and research (= natural science, life science, social science, humanities...). If it's any less, it can only be called (Fach-)Hochschule. Often a Hochschule or høyskole will specialise in one or in related subjects. E.g. Norges Handelshøyskole NHH in Bergen: academically at the university level, but as its only doing business studies and economics, it's a høyskole.


"university college" should not be written as "universitycollege." In American English the distinction between university and college is not so distinct, and university college does not make much sense. In England?


In American English and British English, as far as I know, important, albeit technical, distinctions do exist between college and university. Universities are typically by definition made up of a conglomeration of colleges, each of which specialise in a certain area of knowledge (e.g. college of science, college of business, college of architecture). When discussing an institution called a college that has nothing to do with a university, in most cases we're talking about a liberal arts college, which specialises in the area of knowledge surrounding the humanities and arts. So, my assumption is that, when discussing a college that is one of many within a university, the term 'university college' is a more specific and technical name.


The difference between college and university is bigger in Britain than America. From what I have seen from American films/books, 'college' is the standard next step after high school - for us, that stage would always be called university. A college is not a stand-alone thing at that level. We have 'sixth form college' which is a school just for the final two school years i.e. age 16-18, but these are relatively rare. The only universities in the UK with traditional colleges are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham. A college in this sense is technically subordinate to the university but has a large degree of independence e.g. the colleges decide which students to accept on the basis of college interviews; teaching and accommodation are organised by college. Most colleges teach most subjects. One of the colleges at Oxford is actually called University College. London University used to have the same system, but the colleges got too big and turned into independent universities - so King's College London and University College London are actually universities, but the old college names have stuck.


Colleges in the US are typically four-year institutions and yes, most offer liberal arts programs, although there are technical and science programs as well. You would graduate as a Bachelor of Art or of Science.

Universities in the US not only tend to offer a larger breadth of study, but they also offer graduate degrees (Masters degrees (e.g., business, education); JD, MD, Ph.D, etc).


I don't know about the different distinctions in different English speaking countries, but I know that the institution Høgskolen i Oslo og Akershus uses Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences as its English name.


Does "høyskole" means "college" in the American sense, as university, or is it more like American "high school"? I know Duolingo usually uses American English, but I just want to make sure because the word LOOKS so much like "highschool."


It is not exactly the same as an American college (see the other discussion on this sentence). But it is fairly close, and definitely not a high school.


Imagine a vocational school/college (post highschool) without the stigma attached to it. And when you see the "høy" think of it in the same sense as "higher learning", not 'high school'


So "høyskolen" is like a community college, and not a University?


Community college means different things in different countries, but it is usually a lower level than høyskole. You can get a Bachelor's degree from a høyskole.


Perhaps it is similar to what Americans call trade schools?


If you mean somewhere you go to train in a trade like plumbing, then no. You get a Bachelors degree from a høyskole


How would we say "on the highschool" instead of "at the highschool", as if the subject instead of the location is the highschool.


I think you would use 'om' instead of 'på'

Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.