Ways to learn Norwegian (updated)
Hey all, I thought I would share the ways I have been learning myself Norwegian aside from Duolingo, maybe it can be of some use to you :)
Aside from setting my computer and phone to Norwegian, I use the following for immersion:
- http://tv.nrk.no - There are many interesting programs to watch on here with subtitles.
- http://no.hbonordic.com - One free month as a trial, I watch Varg Veum on here with subtitles, and Game of Thrones and Vikings with Norwegian subtitles.
- https://sumo.tv2.no - One free trial month.
- http://viaplay.no - One free month as a trial, there are a LOT of Norwegian shows on here to watch, but not all of them have subtitles.
- http://www.netflix.com - I already have a sub, so I watch Lillyhammer and Dag on here. Welcome to Sweden is quite entertaining as well ;)
- http://www.youtube.com - Raske Menn, I kveld med Ylvis and Alt for Norge are fun to watch!
- http://www.nordicworld.tv/ready-made/ (Thank you Sheydy!)
Norwegian Facebook groups and Reddits
Norwegian music on Youtube / Spotify
Tusmørke, Vreid, Wardruna, Einar Selvik, Windir, Solefald, Glittertind, Isvind, Isengard, Kampfar, Taake etc.
Norwegian texts to read
- http://heimskringla.no/ - A lot of old Norse goodness translated to Norwegian
- http://tradisjoner.no/categories.html - Old cooking recipes, in case you like cooking :)
- http://regdili.hf.ntnu.no:8081/studentAce/parse - Interactive grammar checker
- http://grammatikk.com - Short and easy explained grammar
- http://www.sprakradet.no/sprakhjelp/Praktisk-grammatikk/ - Practical grammar
- http://lexin.udir.no - A collection of Norwegian dictionaries
- http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?ordbok=begge - Bokmål and Nynorsk, with usage examples
- http://www.ordnett.no - Paid access, but a very good dictionary
- Ordnett Engelsk Stor - Ordnett.no dictionary app, the largest I have found so far
- Nynorsk - Translate whole sentences between Bokmål <--> Nynorsk. Not always 100% correct but it helps a lot
- Radio NO - A collection of Norwegian radiostations to stream live
- http://tinyurl.com/ownto7j - Norge Nyheter (Thanks seanmcd33!)
- http://www.learnnorwegiannaturally.com - (Thanks arielk81!)
I will update this list as I find more resources. Please let me know if you have any more to add!
I mentioned this in a previous comment, but there's tons of useful material on http://www.learnnorwegiannaturally.com
He made about 25 short videos with Norwegian narration, and you can read Norwegian and English transcripts on the website. There's also a section where news articles are read aloud by native speakers and lots of other helpful sections.
NTNU (the norwegian university of science and technology) have this spectacular course online designed for their foreign students and I've been following it in addition to duolingo.
It has a fairly extensive 10 chapter course with various exercises and materials.
Nyheter i bilder: http://www.nyb.no
This is from what I can see a klar tale project, the news is told with symbols above the Norwegian words and a really useful "Les Tekst" function. Even for complete beginners this website should make it possible to read and hear the news in Norwegian without any problems understanding what has been told.
Some Norwegian music:
BEK & Wallin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2P0XFkxna3Q27KDmG-OqQw
Club de Norvège: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfF11STEsaLTHvMgrQAFjEg