Easier Diacritics Typing
I don't know if this have been posted before. I've double checked the forum to make sure but CMIIW.
For Windows user who want to type diacritics easily without the hassle of switching keyboard layout, you can easily emulate Xorg's compose key using wincompose. The concept of compose key itself is fairly simple, after pressing the modifier key (default is
[Right Alt] on wincompose), type the valid key sequences to add diacritics. For example:
- Modkey - " - a = ä
- Modkey - ^ - E = Ê
Complete explanation is available on the project page (link below). There are other alternatives, but personally I prefer this one as it's allow more than two-key sequence.
- Most Linux distribution support this functionality by default. Check keyboard setting on your distro.
- As OraBruh pointed out on comment, The download link actually point to repository file (which is not automatically downloaded). You can either click the 'View Raw' or get it from direct link below (latest version is 0.4.5 as of today).
- wincompose project page: https://github.com/SamHocevar/wincompose/
- Direct download link: https://github.com/SamHocevar/wincompose/raw/master/bin/WinCompose-Setup-0.4.5.exe
- List of alternatives (Windows): http://superuser.com/a/623576/105486
- Explanation of Compose key: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key
For those interested, here is a direct download link (clicking this will start the download, don't click this unless you want the program) if you can't figure out how to download it (I couldn't): https://github.com/SamHocevar/wincompose/raw/master/bin/WinCompose-Setup-0.4.5.exe
On Windows you can just choose the United States-International keyboard layout from language preferences.
Yes, I also use the US-International keyboard layout. It is not onerous at all - once you have it loaded (Win 8: Control PanelLanguage) you simply left click and select from your tray icons on the task bar or use Win key + space bar to cycle thru your options. (Then just right-alt key plus y,q,p,s = ü ä ö ß Ü Ä Ö - very handy! )