1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Norwegian (Bokmål)
  4. >
  5. "Kjelene står på bordet."

"Kjelene står bordet."

Translation:The saucepans are standing on the table.

June 12, 2015



Take a book. If it's laying on its cover, den ligger. If it's standing on one edge, den står.


Could they also ligger på bordet, or are they too... tall, sturdy for that? I feel like I'm starting to get a feel for when to use which, but this one surprised me a little.


I'm not Norwegian, but in Dutch we do a similar thing. If the pan was laying upside-down, I think 'ligger' would be appropriate, or if the fork was standing straight up somehow, you could use 'står'. What might help is if you image a set of eyes on the object, and then see if it's laying down or standing.

That said, at least in Dutch, nobody would care that much if you use the wrong one. I doubt I would even personally notice.

  • 245

I think they're too 'tall and sturdy'. I'm not really sure though. Spoons and forks, however, would 'ligge på bordet'.


Coming from German, I'd say that if something is taller than it's wide (or about the same) it would probably "stå".

Or alternatively, if you can tip something over, that means it "stands" if not it "lies".

Not 100% applicable though because, at least in German, plates (e.g.) "stand" on the table.


Yep, this bugs me as well. My Norsk teacher once said to me that a chair can star because it has legs. But a saucepan (or a boiler/pot/kettle/whatever it is) doesn't have legs, so I guess it's not a rule...


Man trenger bare en kjele ,hva man kan gjøre med flere ?


You can have your meatsauce in one and your bechamel sauce in the other, and then you can make a lasagne.


If you type 'kjelen' into Google Translate it says boiler, and if you type 'sauce pan' into Google you get pictures of a boiler. Therefore, 'sauce pan' must be another term for boiler, which means 'kjelen' also means boiler. Also, I asked my Norwegian husband and he said he would use the word 'boiler' in English.


In American English, you would never use boiler for sauce pan.


Nor in British English... (a boiler would be a big tank used to heat up water for central heating, or perhaps part of a steam engine). Where is boiler used to mean saucepan?


The only case I can think of where we might use 'boiler' that way in American English is if it is a 'double boiler.'


It is derived from the same root word as English 'kettle', originally a cauldron or boiling pot, so it makes sense why the meaning extends that far.


I am as confused as others: according to some reliable online dictionaries kjele means kettle whereas saucepan seems to be gryte or kasserolle in Norwegian.


But is it grammatically correct to say, "The saucepan is standing on the table" in English?

I thought something that stands has to have legs....Am confused with this translation really.


It is perfectly correct, grammatically. But you could put any verb in there and it would be grammatically correct: the saucepans are dancing/sleeping/laughing on the table. All correct.

Whether anyone would actually say it is another matter. I'd probably just say the saucepans are on the table. If pushed I'd probably say sitting rather than standing, but if I did say standing, everyone would understand.

  • 1294

When i hear this i imagine cartoon saucepans with legs, standing on the table


If you need cognates to associate with the vocabulary to help remember , think of this as 'The kettles stand upon the board' (the saucepans are on the table).


I don't see any examples of Kjelene meaning saucepans on Google or in Google Translate. The closest is 'boilers'.


Google translations are driven by users. It's possible to suggest better translations or even sign up as a moderator for them. It uses statistics to determine which moderators deserve the most attention, but anyone can contribute.


I was looking on google as well, and "en kjele" means a 'pot'.


Another word for pot is sauce pan, but they aren't generally called that anymore, at least not in America.


Unless you cook regularly or professionally. Go to the store and you will see many labeled as such. Also, most recipes call for a saucepan. It refers to a certain type of general use pot with high sides and not too much surface area like a skillet.


We call them saucepans in the UK. At least we do in the South.


I hear 'pots and pans' frequently here in the midwest of America. Originally from Connecticut where it was also common but this might be a 'era' thing.

Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.