"Sister and brother"

Translation:Сестра і брат

June 14, 2015

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/dakota165

I feel like I could use more work on the individual letters (such as the names, maybe the alphabet song) so that I am not looking at the keyboard trying to find the one that looks like a 6 or thinking it's not that a it's the other one that looks like an a. It would help to have a name for the letter.

June 14, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/Shady_arc

I think it just takes a little while to practise. You know, I was reading Japanese syllabaries slowly for quite a while before the speed became good enough.

First, you should know the letters that look and sound the same as in European languages: А, Е, К, М, О, Т, І. Or you can just memorize КОМЕТА (комета, "comet") and і.

Then, there are letters that look the same as some Latin characters but sound different:

• У is "oo" in "loop"
  • В is V, Н is N, Р is R
  • С is S
  • Х is similar to German "ch", a bit similar to "h" in "hue". English does not have that sound

Now, some are recognizable Greek shapes:

• П is "P" (from π, pi)
  • Л is "L" (think λ, lambda)
  • Г is something like a voiced H (Γ, gamma)
  • Ф is an F (Φ, phi)
  • Д is D (Δ, delta)

So you can now read "комета, астероід і планета", гітара, фото, графіті, лідер, Дакота, метал

Try the following musical styles: індастріал, рок, дум-метал, глем-рок, кантрі, фанк, хіп-хоп, реп.

The rest are pretty different from what you are used to. Here are some letters that might look similar:

• Б (b)/ В (v)
  • Ь is a soft sign, not a "B"
  • Л (L) / Д (D)
  • і (seem) / ї (yield)
  • Е (met) / Є (yes)
  • Ш (sh) / Щ (sh + ch) / Ч (ch)
  • И means the vowel in "hit" while Й is the consonant in "you"
  • З (z) and 3 (three) look similar
  • б (b) and 6 (six) might look similar. Note that a b's tail always tries to bend up at the end. At least, if the designer who made the font did not suck.
  • Г/Ґ. The latter means your usual "g" in "go". I heard it is not used in this course. The normal Ukranian G is fricative (Г), i.e. it is the sound you'll hear in the vast majority of native words. While southern Russian dialect also use the fricative sound in place of standard "g", they do not distinguish between the two. Ukranian does, though, I cannot comment on how consistent it is.

A handwritten "Д" looks like a D, while lowercase "д" looks like a "g" or an upside-down "g" (which is reflected in italics: лідер).

A handwritten Т, especially the lowercase one, looks like an "m". Which is also reflected in italics ( фото)

A handwritten г looks like backwards "S" (година).

The Russian Cyrillic alphabet adds a few challenges (while removing some):

• Ы (Ь + І) roughly corresponds to Ukranian И
  • Э means E, which is still different from З
  • Ъ(hard sign) / Ь (soft sign). Hard sign corresponds to Ukrainian apostrophe.
June 15, 2015
Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.