"La abogada trabaja para el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores."

Translation:The lawyer works for the Department of Foreign Affairs.

October 7, 2013



Lawyer and attorney should both be accepted for abogada.

November 6, 2013


Totally agree.

January 15, 2014


I reported it.

September 28, 2014


In Canada we say " Ministry of EXTERNAL Affairs".......but it was marked wrong by DL....

July 10, 2014


In Britain, it would be the Foreign Office ... no way was I going to risk writing that.

August 18, 2014


i used "external affairs" and it was accepted

October 8, 2014


I used ministry of foreign affairs and was marked wrong. I think it is stumbling on ministry rather than external vs foreign.

April 3, 2015


April 2015 accepted

April 12, 2015


I used -foreign affairs ministry- and was marked wrong. December 2018.

December 9, 2018


What troubles me here is that they are translating "Ministerio" as "Department"; while in the US it is the DEPARTMENT blahblahblah, it still should be translated as its actual name: The MINISTRY..... At times Duo is SO literal and others it is really off the mark.

October 18, 2014


Probably "ministerio" is used for both "department" and "ministry."

July 22, 2017


I agree and it can be frustrating, but Duolingo has given me so much effective language learning for free, due to the efforts of so many kind volunteers, that I´m grateful for it.

December 9, 2018


can anybody explain 'Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores' ???

October 7, 2013


Ministry of Foreign Affairs = department of gov't that deals with interactions with other countires

October 7, 2013


The lawyer works for the Dept. of Foreign Affairs. (In USA the term department is used in lieu of Ministry.) If they want an American English tranlation, I would use Department.

December 4, 2013


I am an attorney. Lawyer and attorney are the same thing por lo menos en ingles

January 24, 2014


Technically no, they are not the same. All attorneys are lawyers but not all lawyers are attorneys. A person who has study law and have a Juris Doctor or similar degree is a lawyer. A lawyer that has passed the bar, and thus can practice is an attorney. My uncle Vinny became an attorney when he passed the bar. And your Uncle Obama is a constitucional lawyer.

March 19, 2015


They are the same in the U.S. At one time in one could read for the bar, as they called it, pass the bar exam and become an attorney/lawyer. But that is no longer permitted, one must graduate from a law school before taking the bar exam to become a lawyer/attorney. The two terms are interchangeable, like doctor and physician are.

December 9, 2018


"The lawyer works for the Foreign Ministry" rejected. Grr.

March 4, 2014


You're missing "affairs", it's "foreign affairs", not just "foreign" :)

March 18, 2014


Dont know why Foreign Ministry doesnt cut it!

July 19, 2014


That's what I used. Reported it too.

November 14, 2014


Why can I not say "the lawyer is working" instead of works? When do I have to use the Gerund tense?

January 27, 2016


Well, to back up a step, you wouldn't actually call this the Gerund tense in Spanish so much as the Present Progressive. You use the Gerund (turning a verb into an adjective) in Spanish to form the Present progressive. In order to say the sentence you want, it would look like this: «La abogada es trabajando para el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores». In Spanish you use «estar» in most cases, though there are some exceptions that are better detailed here: http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/COURSES/GERUND.HTM

Happy learning!

January 27, 2016


Asuntos Exteriores literally translates to "outside affairs" or "External Affairs".

July 31, 2014


please give me time to finish the sentence!!

February 4, 2018


Why is "external affairs" considered wrong again?

June 3, 2018
Learn Spanish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.