I finished my Swedish tree!
After just shy of five months on Duolingo, I have finally completed my first language tree: Swedish! I still have to make all of the skills golden, but all things in due time.
I started the course with zero knowledge of Swedish, mostly on a whim to be honest. Now, I'm reading my first book in Swedish (Orinta, an Eragon fanfiction novel); I've started texting back and forth with my one pre-existing Swedish friend and started making a few new ones; I've started playing Minecraft on Swedish servers; I'm able to pick out the general meaning of most news articles and some radio programs; and I write a good portion of my daily journal in Swedish.
I am excited to see where this journey takes me, as I continue deeper and deeper into my study of this beautiful language.
For those who want them, here are some stats on the course and my progress through it.
Information about the Duolingo course:
- Total words: 2228
- Total lessons: ??
- Total skills: 66
- Start date: 1/24/15
- Previous experience with Swedish: Zero
- Date of tree completion: 6/22/15
- Date of all golden skills: (Still waiting)
Personal stats at tree completion:
- Level: 16
- XP: 9025
- Email notifications received (total): 205
- Feedback accepted: 6
- Post count: 39 (total)
Here are a number of resources that I have found useful at one time or another during my study of Swedish:
- Sveriges Radio for listening practice ("Lyssna" app on Android)
- 8sidor.se for news in simple Swedish
- Other news sites via the "Nyheter" app (on Android)
- Wattpad for books in Swedish (I plan to write a separate post about this soon--Wattpad is an amazing resource!)
- Memrise for vocabulary expansion
- HelloTalk for language exchange
Lycka till! Ha det så roligt!
That's awersome, congratulations! I confuse german and swedish stuff, so I kind of gave swedish up for a while, but it is really nice to know you learned a lot on Duolingo!
I find if i start to read a book at my level it helped a lot. or find a kids show you will feel so accomplished when you realise how much you understand.