https://www.duolingo.com/DaveFruits

Vil, Skal, Auxiliary Verbs, i, inn, inne, innenfor. Norwegian Help needed! :)

1.) So I was doing my daily Norsk on Duolingo, when I came upon sentences that accept 'vil' as 'want', (Which I knew from Swedish and German) but also 'will.' I was looking later at website to learn Norwegian, and they used 'skal' for 'will.' Which one should be used for 'will?'

2.) What are all the modal / auxilary verbs in Norwegian?

3.) So we have 'i', 'inn', 'inne', and 'innenfor'. Innenfor meaning within. But where does 'i' fall in if 'inn' or 'inne' take in (stationary) and in (to)?

Tusen takk to anyone who answers! :D

3 years ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/Luke_5.1991
Luke_5.1991
Mod
  1. There is no direct translation of "will" in Norwegian. Whether "vil" means "will" or "wants to" depends on context, but when used like the future tense, it's generally something the subject wants to do and looks forward to. "Skal" has the connotation that the subject will perform the action irrespective of whether or not he or she wants to. "Kommer til å" is another phrase that translates roughly to "going to," with a similar meaning to the English phrase. Additionally, one can use the present tense in Norwegian to signify the future, much like in the English phrase, "I am walking to school tomorrow."

2. There are many modals in Norwegian. You can see a brief overview of them in our modal verbs skill, or research them online independently.

3. "i" simply translates to "in," and is a preposition, just like "innenfor," meaning "within." "Inne" and "inn" are adverbs of place and motion, respectively. "Inne i" is a preposition meaning "inside," and "inn i" is preposition that means "into." I hope that makes some degree of sense. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Remember that prepositions must go before nouns in both languages. This makes the distinction somewhat easier to remember.

3 years ago
Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.